Melee called shots *Rifts Newbie

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TJ_1976
Explorer

Melee called shots *Rifts Newbie

Unread post by TJ_1976 »

I'm new to playing rifts and currently making my first character. Been playing HU for years now. I am not able to find anything on Called shots for Melee combat. Was this a over look, miss print, or later corrected by a rifter issue, I'm not aware of? I have RUE and a few rifters and SB, and everything HU related. Thank you in advance for anyone who chooses to help a Rifts newbie out.
He who is without paitence is the gravediggers friend.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Melee called shots *Rifts Newbie

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

TJ_1976 wrote:I'm new to playing rifts and currently making my first character. Been playing HU for years now. I am not able to find anything on Called shots for Melee combat. Was this a over look, miss print, or later corrected by a rifter issue, I'm not aware of? I have RUE and a few rifters and SB, and everything HU related. Thank you in advance for anyone who chooses to help a Rifts newbie out.

I think the only time I ever saw anything on melee called shots was in N&S.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TJ_1976 wrote:I'm new to playing rifts and currently making my first character. Been playing HU for years now. I am not able to find anything on Called shots for Melee combat. Was this a over look, miss print, or later corrected by a rifter issue, I'm not aware of? I have RUE and a few rifters and SB, and everything HU related. Thank you in advance for anyone who chooses to help a Rifts newbie out.

viewtopic.php?p=2087930#p2087930
My stance was always because Called Shots are never specified to be ranged only, they work the same in melee combat. Stuff like the sword Mindprancer in PFRPG being able to make called shots to the throat illustrate this point.
Dead Boy's stance was that (iirc) because Called Shots happen to be described in the Ranged Combat section, they only apply to ranged combat. Stuff like the sword Mindprancer in PFRPG being able to make called shots is only restricted to such weapons as specify that they can make called shots. For melee, you'd have to adapt the rules for staking vampires in the heart, the closest thing we have to a called shot in melee.

Kevin Siembieda doesn't care which way we do things:

Dead Boy wrote:I sent Kev a PM on this issue asking him to shed a little light in the issue.The following is a direct and complete cut & paste of my question and his reply.

Kevin wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:Subject: Dog pack vrs ..DEMONS !!

Hi Kevin!

About two weeks ago I asked you a question about called shots in melee combat, and my guess is that it got lost in the sea of other PM's you receive on a daily basis. Well, the discussion on the boards has become rather heated on the subject (to the point where a moderator stepped in) and we're no closer now to figuring out what the official rules on this were intended to be than when we started. However, we have whittled it down to five possibilities, which I guess is some progress.

So, if you would PLEASE look through them and post on the boards the correct answer, (just follow the link above), you would be doing us loyal fanboys a great service.

[A] The rules from Vampire Kingdoms for staking the heart also applies to general melee combat as well given that they are the most clearly spelled out with the least ambiguity. *
    *(Typed out below so you don't have to dig out a book to refresh your memory)

[B.] The old "12 or better" To Hit number still stands for Melee Called Shots given that the old Melee Combat rules have not significantly changed from how they were originally published in 1990.

[C] The Called Shot rules in RUE's Ranged Combat section apples to Melee Combat as well, Hitting on a 5 or better and requiring that it takes two melee actions to preform, meaning that the attack hits on the first (1st) of those two attacks with a pause on the second, (like a Power Punch).

[D] The Called Shot rules in RUE's Ranged Combat section apples to Melee Combat as well, Hitting on a 5 or better and requiring that it takes two melee actions to preform, meaning that the attack hits on the second (2nd) of those two attacks, (i.e., the attacker would pause on the first to set up the strike).

[E] Or, (perish the thought), RUE's exclusion of Called Shots in all Melee Combat rules section and examples means that it has been rescinded, making it retroactively not exist at all regardless of all previous citings in all prior books, (not likely, but it was an outside possibility that had to be considered).

[F] Other, (please elaborate).

Thanks for taking the time to clear this up, and I hope you father is doing better now.

Yours, Matt Olfson

Vampire Kingdoms, pg 33 wrote:Close Range Attacks
A close range attack is the usual hand to hand combat or sword play. It encompasses a range up to 20 feet away, a distance that can be closed within one melee action (a few seconds) and close enough to have a good view of the target. From this range the character's normal attacks and bonuses apply. The only condition is that the combatant must state that he is "trying to pierce the heart" before he strikes. The player must announced a called shot for gun play or bow weapons. The vampire opponent gets his usual option to parry or dodge the close range attack.

Dear Dead Boy,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Life at Palladium has been hectic and demanding to say the least.

I'd go with A or D. Both work.

Here's is my thought on the "Called" or "Aimed Shot" and why it uses up to melee actions/attacks.

The attacking character has to take more time to aim at a specific target (head, hand, weapons, cigar, etc.), perhaps wait for an opening and strike. It takes more focus, attention, thought, timing and skill than a quick attack. A roll of a five or more will strike unless the opponent parries or dodges. The opponent gets his usual option to parry or dodge the close range attack.

Likewise, the power punch counts as two attacks because the attacker is a) winding up, and b) putting more in that punch. It takes more effort, focus, energy and intent, so it takes a few seconds more to deliver.

I hope that helps. Game on.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
TJ_1976
Explorer

Unread post by TJ_1976 »

Thanks folk, was helpful.
He who is without paitence is the gravediggers friend.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

old vampire kingdoms book let you called shot a stake to the heart, stands to reason that vampires are not the only thing in existence where that applies.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Shark_Force wrote:old vampire kingdoms book let you called shot a stake to the heart, stands to reason that vampires are not the only thing in existence where that applies.

Was it that to shoot them with a wooden arrow in the heart, or melee strike?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”