No MDC regeneration

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

No MDC regeneration

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Going through the D-Bees of NA and noticed a bunch of races with MDC do not have regeneration. Instead, they heal like humans, sometimes at double or quadruple the rate. Now, humans heal at 2 HP and 4 SDC per day naturally. With professional treatment they heal at 2 HP for the first 2 days then 4 per day until all their HP is healed then they heal 6 SDC per day after that.

So, if my MDC creatures heals at the human rate, which of the above rates does he heal at?

EDIT: Could you use the Bio-Regenerate (self) or Bio-Regeneration (Super) psionic powers to heal?
Last edited by HarleeKnight on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: No MDC regeneration

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I just did 4 MDC a day natural, 6 with medical treatment. Since MDC creatures don't have HP just seemed the most logical but it does fall into the house rule territory.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

This can be very problematic for races with hundreds of MDC, they would be out of action for a weeks if not months.

If 1 Day = 4MDC, 1 Wk = 28MDC, 1 Month = ~112MDC, 6 Months = ~672MDC

I would look for a similar creature and slip in natural regeneration.

Palladium seems to focus much more on story than editing each and every book to make sure they follow the same rules. It's great for those who like house rules, the grey area of things, and looking to what suits their game, but sucks for those who come from games where 'rules are rules.'
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Blackwater Sniper wrote:This can be very problematic for races with hundreds of MDC, they would be out of action for a weeks if not months.

If 1 Day = 4MDC, 1 Wk = 28MDC, 1 Month = ~112MDC, 6 Months = ~672MDC

I would look for a similar creature and slip in natural regeneration.

The problem with that is these races are set up not to have it which means they may have certain abilities or at the least not have certain limitations that races with regen might have.

Most races that don't have regen and are to heal as nomral tend to be at the low end of MDC so in most cases it shouldn't take more that a month or two which is fair because that is how long it takes for comparable SDC beings to recover all there SDC. Like the SDC character if the rate is too slow for the player he can seek out magic or psionic healing. At the most I would do a percentage system that would recover 100% of MDC within a few weeks at the earliest 6 weeks at the longest.

Blackwater Sniper wrote:Palladium seems to focus much more on story than editing each and every book to make sure they follow the same rules. It's great for those who like house rules, the grey area of things, and looking to what suits their game, but sucks for those who come from games where 'rules are rules.'

I am not going to disagree with this point, at all. As for the rules it is not just great for those who like house rules but those of us that want to add things to the setting without breaking it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

HarleeKnight wrote:With professional treatment they heal at 2 HP for the first 2 days then 4 per day until all their HP is healed then they heal 6 SDC per day after that.

I don't think that is what it says. You missed off a full stop:
With professional treatment they heal "two Hit Points per day for the first two days and four per each following day, until the character has regained all of his/her Hit Points." and then a separate sentence: "S.D.C. points are restored at a rate of six per day." You don't have to wait for HP to reach maximum before you can start healing S.D.C. points (I've always though of this as wounds "scabbing over" and minor injuries healing, while the more serious stuff is still causing you issues). Otherwise, professional treatment would be worse than non-professional, which recovers two hit points and four S.D.C. per day!

I agree with Warshield and have M.D.C. heal at the same rate as S.D.C. - 4 per day with nonprofessional treatment, 6 per day with professional treatment.

I also agree with Warshield in that the rate of healing is what it is. Just like for S.D.C. beings, if you are that badly hurt, you may need to search for magical healing, or wear M.D.C. armour (if your body shape allows it) until you have healed enough to feel safe again without it. Some races have enhanced regeneration capabilities, some don't.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Soldier of Od wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:With professional treatment they heal at 2 HP for the first 2 days then 4 per day until all their HP is healed then they heal 6 SDC per day after that.

I don't think that is what it says. You missed off a full stop:
With professional treatment they heal "two Hit Points per day for the first two days and four per each following day, until the character has regained all of his/her Hit Points." and then a separate sentence: "S.D.C. points are restored at a rate of six per day." You don't have to wait for HP to reach maximum before you can start healing S.D.C. points (I've always though of this as wounds "scabbing over" and minor injuries healing, while the more serious stuff is still causing you issues). Otherwise, professional treatment would be worse than non-professional, which recovers two hit points and four S.D.C. per day!

I agree with Warshield and have M.D.C. heal at the same rate as S.D.C. - 4 per day with nonprofessional treatment, 6 per day with professional treatment.

I also agree with Warshield in that the rate of healing is what it is. Just like for S.D.C. beings, if you are that badly hurt, you may need to search for magical healing, or wear M.D.C. armour (if your body shape allows it) until you have healed enough to feel safe again without it. Some races have enhanced regeneration capabilities, some don't.

I will argue that just about anything can wear armor, if the armor is crafted to fit it. with that said some creatures for instance a creature with a morphable shape (Slime as an extreme example) or a shape shifter, may have serious issues and loose capabilities when wearing armor.

I am going to refer to a joke/meme " anything can be air (or orbitally ) dropped once."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

RCB1r, page 56. Monster M.D.C.[sup]TM[/sup] Conversions, 2nd paragraph under that heading.

2d6 MDC are healed per day unless the creature has a specified rate for bio-regeneration or similar.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Shark_Force wrote:RCB1r, page 56. Monster M.D.C.[sup]TM[/sup] Conversions, 2nd paragraph under that heading.

2d6 MDC are healed per day unless the creature has a specified rate for bio-regeneration or similar.

first introduced on pg 22 of the original unrevised version I think

The way it says "restored the same way as a human regains hit points from medical treatment and rest" makes me wonder what "normally restored at a rate of 2D6" refers to though.

HP/SDC rates are boosted when you get medical treatment in addition to rest, so would 2D6 be without treatment? If so then how much should treatment add to it?

I figure you would just add listed bio-regen rates to 2d/day unless it explicitly says 'can never heal' or something like that.

Maybe 2d6 is meant to be added to whatever the usual HP rates are?
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Axelmania wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:RCB1r, page 56. Monster M.D.C.[sup]TM[/sup] Conversions, 2nd paragraph under that heading.

The way it says "restored the same way as a human regains hit points from medical treatment and rest" makes me wonder what "normally restored at a rate of 2D6" refers to though.

HP/SDC rates are boosted when you get medical treatment in addition to rest, so would 2D6 be without treatment? If so then how much should treatment add to it?

I figure you would just add listed bio-regen rates to 2d/day unless it explicitly says 'can never heal' or something like that.

a simple rule would be to set the healing mods to that of human healing IE the adjustments are to the number of D6 IE they heal 2d6/day normally, if treatment and bed rest are provided, its 2d6 each for the first 2 days, 4d6 per each following day, possibly ramping up to 6d6/day, or an additional 6d6 with knowledgeable professional equivalent treatment
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

guardiandashi wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

a simple rule would be to set the healing mods to that of human healing IE the adjustments are to the number of D6 IE they heal 2d6/day normally, if treatment and bed rest are provided, its 2d6 each for the first 2 days, 4d6 per each following day, possibly ramping up to 6d6/day, or an additional 6d6 with knowledgeable professional equivalent treatment

sounds decent.

Though I do wonder why humans have fixed rates of healing while supernatural regeneration is so often variable.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Axelmania wrote:Though I do wonder why humans have fixed rates of healing while supernatural regeneration is so often variable.

There are more levels and degrees of supernatural than there are of mundanity.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Ah, the definitive answer!
An important piece of information needed to play/GM mega-damage creatures hidden away in a sourcebook that many people won't even have, and that came out before the "ultimate" edition of the main book. Oh, Palladium!
Well done for finding it! :ok:
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Thank you.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Though I do wonder why humans have fixed rates of healing while supernatural regeneration is so often variable.

There are more levels and degrees of supernatural than there are of mundanity.

There are also mundane creatures that are MDC. Which would explain why those creatures have to heal the damage through the same processes as mortals.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Soldier of Od wrote:

Ah, the definitive answer!
An important piece of information needed to play/GM mega-damage creatures hidden away in a sourcebook that many people won't even have, and that came out before the "ultimate" edition of the main book. Oh, Palladium!
Well done for finding it! :ok:

it comes up relatively often on these forums. this is probably the third or fourth time I've had to try to remember where I saw it in the books =S

Return to “Rifts®”