TW Feature: Enclosure

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whitewings
D-Bee

TW Feature: Enclosure

Unread post by Whitewings »

Enclosure (Level 6)

This feature is normally applied to open vehicles such as motorcycles and speedboats. When activated, the vehicle, or at least its cockpit or passenger area, is covered by a light (2 MDC) force field, protecting from rain, snow, wind, and similar.

Activation Cost: 1 P.P.E. or 2 ISP. Each activation lasts six hours or until the field is deactivated or forcibly taken down.

Primary Spell: Magic Shield.

Construction P.P.E. Cost: 20
Construction Cost: 1,200 credits (plus gems, does not include vehicle)
Construction Time: 60 hours
Gems: 3 carats of amethyst
narcissus
Explorer

Re: TW Feature: Enclosure

Unread post by narcissus »

You could also go with Sheltering Force to provide some environmental protection / temperature moderation, and throw in Invisibility: Simple so that it's transparent and not semi-opaque.
Whitewings
D-Bee

narcissus wrote:You could also go with Sheltering Force to provide some environmental protection / temperature moderation, and throw in Invisibility: Simple so that it's transparent and not semi-opaque.

Unfortunately, that provides very little advantage, only a 5.6 degree Celcius temperature moderation, and costs over four times as much in PPE, cash and time (plus a carat of ruby quartz).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

What I thought was that Energy Field could be used also, for the enclosure FF TW vehicle feature.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Whitewings
D-Bee

That would work, though again the higher casting cost would make the feature more expensive.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Not necessarily. Energy Field's gem is cheaper than Magic Shield. In theory it is (credit wise) cheaper to improve the Gem's carat for EF than MS, which would reduce the activation cost. For example if you double the carat of the gem (6) for each, when I do the math I end up with a activation costs of 1 PPE for each (I'm assuming you can't go below 1 when using PPE, the actual values are 0.5 and 0.833) AND the EF has a final cost with gems included of 2800c (vs3000c for MS). Build time and PPE Construction Costs are higher, but the end product is actually cheaper (and remains so at 5carats each, at 4.5carats it favors MS). The math also favors Sheltering Force over MS starting with 9.5carat (SF is can not be made cheaper vs EF).
Whitewings
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:Not necessarily. Energy Field's gem is cheaper than Magic Shield. In theory it is (credit wise) cheaper to improve the Gem's carat for EF than MS, which would reduce the activation cost. For example if you double the carat of the gem (6) for each, when I do the math I end up with a activation costs of 1 PPE for each (I'm assuming you can't go below 1 when using PPE, the actual values are 0.5 and 0.833) AND the EF has a final cost with gems included of 2800c (vs3000c for MS). Build time and PPE Construction Costs are higher, but the end product is actually cheaper (and remains so at 5carats each, at 4.5carats it favors MS). The math also favors Sheltering Force over MS starting with 9.5carat (SF is can not be made cheaper vs EF).

Interesting; I hadn’t considered the gem cost. And I agree that activation cost bottoms out at 1.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Whitewings wrote:Enclosure (Level 6)

This feature is normally applied to open vehicles such as motorcycles and speedboats. When activated, the vehicle, or at least its cockpit or passenger area, is covered by a light (2 MDC) force field, protecting from rain, snow, wind, and similar.

Ah, the TW Ley-top convertible.
I can see a Technowizard dealership offering glare-protection and even one-way visibility(blurs, if not outright obscures, you to people looking in at you) as options to this.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A ley Line magic screen door.
Just the thing for your getaway cabin you use when there is a magic spike to harvest.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:A ley Line magic screen door.
Just the thing for your getaway cabin you use when there is a magic spike to harvest.

Keeps out those darn Ley line floaters and phase-ghosts.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

What about fire bolt, fuel flame and sustain to power a engine.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”