TW Multicycle

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whitewings
D-Bee

TW Multicycle

Unread post by Whitewings »

The concept is straightforward: a motorcycle that can be driven on water, up and down walls, over mud and snow, and so on. It can't fly. Some needed spells are obvious: Swim as a Fish, Climb, and probably Float in Air. These are presumably separate functions, and thus, Primary Spells. I'm wondering what Secondary Spells might be needed for them. Superhuman Speed seems reasonable so the bike can keep up a decent speed, and Carpet of Adhesion to support Float, so as to ensure traction on such surfaces as snow or mud. What others might seem appropriate?
taalismn
Priest

Re: TW Multicycle

Unread post by taalismn »

The Ocean Magic spell Travel Above Water would let you drive on top of water, rather than fly above it. It's more expensive(30 PPE) than the Elemental Spell Float on Water(4 PPE), but is longer lasting(1 hour PLE, as opposed to 20 minutes PLE) and allows you to remain dry, while the Elemental spell simply makes you very buoyant.

The Earth Element spell Travel Through Stone allows you to s drive through solid rock and concrete for those really rough obstacle course roads, and Close Fissures is similarly useful for rough terrain driving, especially in hilly terrain or in the aftermath of an )non-magical)earthquake
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Whitewings
D-Bee

Unfortunately, my character only has access to the spells in the main book.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Remember that a TW can alter a spells parameters to better fit a TW Device (as I said in your other thread there is an example in RUE for the Sticky Tires using Carpet of Adhesion). So some spells that might seem a poor fit, they could adjust parameters to better fit.

You might also want to review other TW devices that do similar things to get an idea of spell chains.

When you say you are limited, are you talking about Personal Library Inventory or your character? Your Character could always seekout help from an NPC mage to assist in their device. As for your library, a good resource would be to have the Book of Magic as it collects a lot of stuff together (its not complete what with new stuff coming out after it).

Overall I think what you seem to be shooting for might be able to be achieved with one spell chain since you want to drive on any (reasonable) surface. You might still be able to use metamorphosis: Insect to impart powers of an insect that can walk on all of them (like a spider). I'd probably add some secondary spells in the chain to, but off hand I can't think of any.
Whitewings
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:Remember that a TW can alter a spells parameters to better fit a TW Device (as I said in your other thread there is an example in RUE for the Sticky Tires using Carpet of Adhesion). So some spells that might seem a poor fit, they could adjust parameters to better fit.

You might also want to review other TW devices that do similar things to get an idea of spell chains.

When you say you are limited, are you talking about Personal Library Inventory or your character? Your Character could always seekout help from an NPC mage to assist in their device. As for your library, a good resource would be to have the Book of Magic as it collects a lot of stuff together (its not complete what with new stuff coming out after it).

Overall I think what you seem to be shooting for might be able to be achieved with one spell chain since you want to drive on any (reasonable) surface. You might still be able to use metamorphosis: Insect to impart powers of an insect that can walk on all of them (like a spider). I'd probably add some secondary spells in the chain to, but off hand I can't think of any.

Metamorphosis: Insect and Superhuman Speed (to get decent speed over non-road surfaces) sound like a good chain. The more specialized schools, like Ocean Magic, are currently not available to my character. Tolkeen's libraries are vast (variant setting), but the more specialized schools are only available on a very strict at-need basis.

On the other side, I just did the math, and the more elaborate approach using 4 chains (Swim and Speed, Float and Carpet, Climb, Levitate) is far faster and far cheaper, about 2/3 the cost and time of a Metamorphosis: Insect and Speed chain.
Whitewings
D-Bee

Ultimate All-Terrain Package (level 6):
This feature allows the target vehicle to drive over nearly any surface: water, gravel, ice, the side of a building, the surface of mud or snow, anything that can be reasonably considered a surface, and make very long horizontal jumps, up to 30m (this can include up to 1m upward).

Activation Cost: 12 P.P.E. or 24 ISP. Each activation lasts an hour.

Primary Spell: Swim as the Fish. Secondary Spells: Superhuman Speed, Float in Air, Carpet of Adhesion, Climb, Levitation.

Construction P.P.E. Cost: 450
Construction Cost: 14,500 credits (plus gems, does not include vehicle)
Construction Time: 92 days
Gems: 6 carats of aquamarine, 1 carat each of black pearl, clear zircon, amethyst, and jade. Superhuman Speed shares its pearl with Levitation.
Last edited by Whitewings on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The following would is not a part of the Rifts game, so the GM would have to allow it to be imported.

In the PF RPG 2nd ed Game, there is in its Northern Hinterlands gamebook, where the "Snow Walking" spell was published, that might be applicable to having a magiced vehicle drive over snow.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Whitewings
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The following would is not a part of the Rifts game, so the GM would have to allow it to be imported.

In the PF RPG 2nd ed Game, there is in its Northern Hinterlands gamebook, where the "Snow Walking" spell was published, that might be applicable to having a magiced vehicle drive over snow.

Neat!

Return to “Rifts®”