Non-Situational Modifiers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Non-Situational Modifiers

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

I'm trying to explain the rules for character creation and combat to a new generation of players (my daughter and her friends) and I'm having trouble finding hard copy evidence for the way I was taught to play.
What gets added to the d20 roll before any situational (blind fire, aimed shot, etc) modifiers for melee attacks and ranged attacks. Where to find where it corroborates that in the books would be great too so that I can show them to my daughter and her friends.
Thanks in advance for the help.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Non-Situational Modifiers

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the player just adds up all their applicable bonuses. It is the GM that gets (has) to deal with the situational modifiers.

Look at the combat bonuses text (in the combat lexicon) for the first part. the GM decides if there are situational mods so that is a gm thing.
(was looking @ the RGMG for ref for this answer.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Non-Situational Modifiers

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

that is my understanding as well.

the player adds up any bonuses and/or penalties from their skills, abilities, spells they are under, etc.
this would include things like target movement, size, and so on if those rules are in play.
the GM decides is any situational bonuses or penalties. some skills suggest these for specific situations, but it is the Gm that makes the call as to whether those would apply. other wise the GM can just declare a modifier.

then you roll your dice and apply those modifiers to the result
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”