Where can I find prices for organic MDC armor?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

khaldrogo
Newb

Where can I find prices for organic MDC armor?

Unread post by khaldrogo »

Hello everyone,

Are there prices listed in any of the source books for MDC armor made from MDC creatures, etc. I am also looking for full stats. The only stat I can find is on an old Game Master shield for Fury Beetle Armor . In addition, I would also like to know if there is information some where about salvaging MDC materials from these beasts. Say, if my group kills a Fury Beetle or a Devil Unicorn can they harvest and sell the plating, skin, whatever. How much per MDC could they get for it? What skills would they need to fashion their own MDC armor from this stuff? Anyhoo, I know that is a lot of questions. I will soon have a Battle Mage in the group and these questions have come up.

Thanks in advance for all your input!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Where can I find prices for organic MDC armor?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Places I can point to with examples of Organic MDC armor (magical or technological), this list is by no means complete:
WB2: Atlantis (assorted Bio-Wizard technology)
WB6: SA (Biomancy section has a few magical organic armors)
WB10: JU (pg71, Super Hide Armor)
WB14: NW (Mammoth Brontodon, Tri-Tops, Leatherwing, Giant Canyon Worm, Duckbilled Honker creatures all have MDC Hide armor/clothing)
WB20: Canada (Home-made MDC pg191-2)
WB21: SDM (Bio-Wizard, plus a MDC Leather Shop on pg34, the Krygoth Shellback on pg80 has hide armor descriptions)
WB26: DS (pg31, pg63, pg80-1 has Steeltree, pg124 an MDC cape, pg132 has enchanted Leather Breastplate, pg91-2 has Eco-Wizard)
SB3: Mindwerks (pg61: Stone Claw Hide Full Armor Suit, pg60: Mega Foot Hide Body Armor))
WB30: DBoNA (pg158 has Dragon Skin Armor, reprinted from WB6 IIRC)
WB8/3 have Millennium Tree stuff (magical)
DB6: 3G (pg115 has Draygon Hide armors, pg117 has Sha'wrek Body Armor, plus assorted Necrol stuff)

Usually there is a block that details what (if anything) can be salvaged and its purpose. Selling the stuff though will also be dictated by the regional demand.

As for required Skills, most likely Leatherworking and Skin & Prepare Animal Hides (both found in RUE, Technical and Wilderness categories respectively)
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Unread post by ManDrakeTWise »

ShadowLogan gave a good coverage of the available organic armors, one detail that might be helpful for you, is that on pg 192 of Rifts: Canada has the literal Fury Beetle Armor statistics on it. And on pg 152-153 there is ranching information added to fluff text for the Fury Beetle itself unique to the Canada environment, and has the exact stats from the GM Screen. The information on 192 is a lot heavier but how more MDC, so you can make trade offs it appears between weight and protection if you make it yourself.

As for the Devil Unicorn, the original entry in New West doesn't mention that it can be made into armor. The Desert Sleepers before and the Duckbilled Honkers after it both have it listed in their value section. So unless your GM makes an exception, I don't think it can be made into armor of any kind.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'm getting post-apocalyptic Whole Foods vibes.

Have you tried our organic, artisanal, all-natural, gluten-free, soy-free, MSG-free, non-GMO kale armor? It's made in-store!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Hotrod wrote:I'm getting post-apocalyptic Whole Foods vibes.

Have you tried our organic, artisanal, all-natural, gluten-free, soy-free, MSG-free, non-GMO kale armor? It's made in-store!

That's slightly different Hotrod, I think you would want is the Weave Plants based armor (pg 91 Lemuria, pg 65 South America 1), which could in theory be made out of kale. But you'd want something with more woody material in it so you could cast Ironwood on it to allow you to make it MDC armor, unless you could get an exemption from your GM to make the Strengthen Plant spell work on kale after it's been woven into armor. Seaweed bio-armor is also a good choice if you have these kinds of personal requirements. :twisted:
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Kale armor :lol: Love to see that armor shop in Merc Town
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

ShadowLogan wrote:WB2: Atlantis (assorted Bio-Wizard technology)
WB6: SA (Biomancy section has a few magical organic armors)
WB10: JU (pg71, Super Hide Armor)
WB14: NW (Mammoth Brontodon, Tri-Tops, Leatherwing, Giant Canyon Worm, Duckbilled Honker creatures all have MDC Hide armor/clothing)
WB20: Canada (Home-made MDC pg191-2)
WB21: SDM (Bio-Wizard, plus a MDC Leather Shop on pg34, the Krygoth Shellback on pg80 has hide armor descriptions)
WB26: DS (pg31, pg63, pg80-1 has Steeltree, pg124 an MDC cape, pg132 has enchanted Leather Breastplate, pg91-2 has Eco-Wizard)

in trying to think of other WBs, Underseas comes to mind because I think it had seaweed armor or something along those lines?

probably something in Lemuria too, and in Megaverse in Flames?

wondering about Wormwood too, I guess ymbiotes count similar to atlantis?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I do not have every book, I can not comment on Lemuria or Megaverse in Flames or Wormwood.

If Underseas (which has I have) has anything like seaweed armor its going to be massively obscure, Korallyte (metallic waste from an organism) might count depending on your pov and the Ocean Magic spells don't really count either.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ManDrakeTWise wrote:

That's slightly different Hotrod, I think you would want is the Weave Plants based armor (pg 91 Lemuria, pg 65 South America 1), which could in theory be made out of kale. But you'd want something with more woody material in it so you could cast Ironwood on it to allow you to make it MDC armor, unless you could get an exemption from your GM to make the Strengthen Plant spell work on kale after it's been woven into armor. Seaweed bio-armor is also a good choice if you have these kinds of personal requirements. :twisted:

i've eaten enough raw kale that as GM i'd rule it's woody enough. :-?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Orin J. wrote:
ManDrakeTWise wrote:

To get the true Whole Foods experience, it would cost 5 million credits per 25 MDC suit.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Hotrod wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
ManDrakeTWise wrote:

To get the true Whole Foods experience, it would cost 5 million credits per 25 MDC suit.

So it's MDC would be 1d6+45. So that would make the price 9 million to 10.2 million. But you can be proud of the fact that wearing this, you won't accidentally kill some innocent sea monster that chokes to death on your cheap Plastic Man armor after swallowing you whole! :shock: :twisted:
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I believe the dinoswamp books have both eco wizardy armor made from dino bits as well as hodge podge stuff that is mundane MDC armor crafted from dinosaur bones.

If you are looking for something fancy the lemuria book has TONS of organic and living armors. Hell biomancers have spells that can create permanent wood/chitin armor for minimal cost.

But for hodgepodge stuff usually in monster listings if their hide is usable it will give you some numbers.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think one thing to note for traveling adventurers if you really want to sell hides/pelts in any usable form you would need to pepare and cure the hides pretty soon after the critter is dead. For something the size of a fury beetle this may mean you wind up having to setup camp to tan and cure the hide for many days maybe even a week or so given the size of kill which could be highly problematic. Fangs/bones are a lot easier to manage but hides are something you can't just skin and go it needs to get prepared pretty rapidly if you want to actually use it.
Axelmania
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:If Underseas (which has I have) has anything like seaweed armor its going to be massively obscure

Whalesingers can spend relatively paltry PPE to make it permanent, I don't know why they wouldn't give it out to all good creatures they come across.

Literally 100% of dolphins should have it
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Axelmania wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:If Underseas (which has I have) has anything like seaweed armor its going to be massively obscure

Whalesingers can spend relatively paltry PPE to make it permanent, I don't know why they wouldn't give it out to all good creatures they come across.

Literally 100% of dolphins should have it

It is magically woven armor (found it, its a spell effect) which might be outside of the OP intent.

As to why it isn't mass produced/distributed. The stats for the armor are pretty sparse (MDC total and that's about it), which means it might impose at minimum a weight/mass penalty or even some other types of penalties (they aren't noted technically, but maybe a "common sense" thing so aren't noted if one is looking for a reason why). Repairs might also be an issue since you can't repair it AFAIK.
Axelmania
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:As to why it isn't mass produced/distributed. The stats for the armor are pretty sparse (MDC total and that's about it), which means it might impose at minimum a weight/mass penalty or even some other types of penalties (they aren't noted technically, but maybe a "common sense" thing so aren't noted if one is looking for a reason why). Repairs might also be an issue since you can't repair it AFAIK.

Could just get a whalesinger to weave you a new one, probably in less time than it'd take an operator to restore MDC to some standard suit.

"the seaweed armor weighs 300 pounds" would be a nice balancing factor I guess, but would that mean you can't swim in it?
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Hotrod wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
ManDrakeTWise wrote:

LOL. Whole Foods has some wonky price points too, so it would be like 4.75 million for every 22 MDC. But they are having a 12% off sale.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Axelmania
Knight

Now envisioning a borg v borg battle in facsimilees of Trump's pardonee v Hunter

Return to “Rifts®”