Scholar's Review: World Book 22: Free Quebec

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Scholar's Review: World Book 22: Free Quebec

Unread post by desrocfc »

For those of you who may not be hitting Facebook, I've been doing a number of reviews and blog articles on the game we know and love. Most reviews follow a quick overview of content followed by a "When Released" impression, followed by a contemporary review done today. Well, the day finally came after 26 other reviews, I finally hit Free Quebec, LOL.

So this one was a little odd for me to write. How does one review the book you helped bring about? Well, I had a little fun with it. Suffice it to say I still review the book, which covers the Free Quebec side of the Coalition War Campaign’s nasty little civil war. I tried to make this more about just a collection of robot, power armour and nasty attitude to non-humans. There is definitely a story to be told, one I hope that GMs and players alike came away with. Much like Mindwerks was an ode to the Crazy OCC, Canada to the Headhunter OCC, Free Quebec pays homage to one of the iconic images of Rifts, the one and only Glitter Boy.

For those who care to read the review: https://www.scholarlyadventures.com/post/scholar-s-review-27-rifts-world-book-22-free-quebec

So, what did you think of World Book 22: Free Quebec?

<whisper> I thought it was awesome! ;) </whisper>
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Scholar's Review: World Book 22: Free Quebec

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I found the review fair, and appreciated learning of some of the elements in which you were not involved. I haven't made too much personal use of material from the book, outside in cobbling together disseminated CFQC broadcasts to illustrate tensions between then-unified states in a Lazlo game, and use of the Transport and Loader hover vehicles. While the latter were practical designs put to good use, the descriptions used in putting together the former proved more memorable.

It's a little indelicate, playing with both stereotype and overt prejudice, but part of me wishes the book had briefly played with some Quebecois sacres coined post-Cataclysm. Perhaps St. John's soldiers, misinterpreting third-hand tales about tribal Psi-Stalker culture and their fight against the Xiticix, might make a portmanteau out of coléoptère and ciboire.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Re: Scholar's Review: World Book 22: Free Quebec

Unread post by desrocfc »

For those interested, I did a follow-up post on the creative process and intent for the book and the sections therein.

The Bazaar #8: An Author’s Perspective of Rifts World Book 22: Free Quebec. A slightly different take this week, as I climb into the way-back machine™ and discuss the intent and thought processes that drove the manuscript submission into Palladium Books for what became World Book 22: Free Quebec. A few insights into the world building in my head, where I thought certain portions were going, and the differences between the submission and the final product. Everything from written to artistic submissions, to a slightly more in-depth look at the military of Free Quebec and how I envisioned their campaign plan to defend against Coalition aggression.

See the full article at the link below:

https://www.scholarlyadventures.com/post/the-bazaar-8-an-author-s-perspective-of-rifts-world-book-22-free-quebec
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]

Return to “Rifts®”