Let's try this again MOS for Superspy ideas

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ryokoryu
Wanderer

Let's try this again MOS for Superspy ideas

Unread post by ryokoryu »

Last time I tried asking this question the topic got hijacked by someone who created an argument that amounted to them saying combat was all-important to a game and RP was just boring. I never got anyone replying that wasn't taking sides on this because of this so let me nip this in the bud. I am in a Heroes unlimited gamer that maybe has combat once every few months and I love it. RP is my preferred way of playing and the Super-Spy from the mercenaries books has the potential for being that (as are most of the classes there) without actually getting there. If you're coming here to say just play X class that gets some espionage skills with that instead there is more to spies than just espionage skills. My intention here is to get ideas for using the MOS system to bring Super-spies up to grade based on which you pick. This means the super power SS having specific powers it can take, magic SS getting lore skills, bionics getting skills and a bionics budget (which they currently lack which makes it hard to build them) as examples. Psionic Super-spies already lean towards counterintelligence so my idea would lend me to push that narrative like giving them ID undercover agent as an MOS skill with a 20% bonus. Detect concealment at 15% an always active see aura ability that gives a chance to detect when someone is using magic or psionics to alter their aura if the see aura power is used (the way mystics have sense evil always but can use sense evil as a power to track the evil) thinking maybe 42%+3% per level.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Let's try this again MOS for Superspy ideas

Unread post by Orin J. »

you say you're a roleplay-heavy player and then you want to get rules bennies for what you choose, i don't get it.

anyways bionics is using the old outdated "this many additions" which is a bit awkward but can also be good if you know that means you can ignore the cost entirely.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes I agree with that the RM SS is needs to redo the skills so some of the skills are based on the type of power/ability. However, the easiest way to do that is to reduce the number of Class Skills and to translate those skills into skill sections in the Class Related Skills.

The idea that you get skills &/ bonuses along with the powers selection choice would probably fit the Rifts format better.

As for actually MOS's...I would look to the N&S book, which already have MOS's for agent type chars.

An always on 'see aura' wouldn't help with detect concealment (concealment: hiding items on oneself so that the items won't be detected)[unless the Items are magical in nature or a charged TW magic item.] However is would help with 'detect ambush'.

Remember that 'sensing evil' is to say it completely is 'sensing SN evil'. However, what you are talking about is much like the Hounds (Nightbane core book) ability to track the supernatural.

-------
*puts on my Gammer Nazi hat*
It would of been nice if you had broken up you block of text into paragraphs when you changed the ideas you were speaking about. The 1st few lines when you were complaining should of been a seperate paragraph from where you start talking about the core idea you wanted to talk about.
*puts my grammar naxi hat back on the hook on the wall*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yes I agree with that the RM SS is needs to redo the skills so some of the skills are based on the type of power/ability. However, the easiest way to do that is to reduce the number of Class Skills and to translate those skills into skill sections in the Class Related Skills.

The idea that you get skills &/ bonuses along with the powers selection choice would probably fit the Rifts format better.

As for actually MOS's...I would look to the N&S book, which already have MOS's for agent type chars.

An always on 'see aura' wouldn't help with detect concealment (concealment: hiding items on oneself so that the items won't be detected)[unless the Items are magical in nature or a charged TW magic item.] However is would help with 'detect ambush'.

Remember that 'sensing evil' is to say it completely is 'sensing SN evil'. However, what you are talking about is much like the Hounds (Nightbane core book) ability to track the supernatural.

-------
*puts on my Gammer Nazi hat*
It would of been nice if you had broken up you block of text into paragraphs when you changed the ideas you were speaking about. The 1st few lines when you were complaining should of been a seperate paragraph from where you start talking about the core idea you wanted to talk about.
*puts my grammar naxi hat back on the hook on the wall*

Mystics have an always on sense evil ability that works normally the way the sense evil power works. The main differences are it is always on and they can use the sense evil power in addition to this which gives them the ability to track the evil to it's source. This is one of a few ways they can do that. another is opening themselves up to it, this tells them where the evil is and what it is doing but also tells the evil they pursue what the mystic is doing and where they are. What I am proposing is less powerful but more in character with the psychic super-spy.
N&S books are not what I am looking for with a Rifts SS, I am looking to bring the varients there up to competency to do what they are supposed to do. At the end of the day more then the espionage skills a spy requires the ability to put themselves where they should be to gather information they need, pass the information along to their employer, maybe from time to time assassinate frame or sabotage someone or in the case of counter-intelligence agents stop other spies from doing those things.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Orin J. wrote:you say you're a roleplay-heavy player and then you want to get rules bennies for what you choose, I don't get it.

anyways bionics is using the old outdated "this many additions" which is a bit awkward but can also be good if you know that means you can ignore the cost entirely.

trying to put together some ideas that maybe we can then submit to KS. Maybe it can go into a Rifter volume or put somewhere else. Maybe the manhunter series could use an idea or 2 from here, or the disavowed. I went to college to study game design and while the school (IADT) may have gone out of business and the degrees rendered worthless due to the actions of people who bought the school and ran it into the ground that doesn't mean my instinct to find things that are not functional and try to tinker with them and bring together others to also do so.
You know having something I helped put together come out with Palladium or Paizo or WWG or WOTC would also be a nice feather in my cap to put in when I come up with my own ideas. Not looking for a one and done thing to use in 1 game somewhere but to practice the art of working with a team to put something together. It's like someone who codes opening up their favorite game and making a fan patch or mod only maybe the people who put together an idea. The more I can ground that in the already established mechanics also (such as the MOS system) the more it can slide right into the game with little to no editing.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Hello, Mystics have always had the ability to sense 'Supernatural Evil', Not just 'evil'. Yes you are talking to someone that is OCD about words. Look, Read, Understand (the rifts version of the psi-mystic is on page 118 of RUE) that your not saying it right is what prompted the correction.

What you said you wanted was MOSs for the RM SS. Yes, I understood that. It is just that the ninja and Superspies book already have Skill Programs (which are much like MOS's) and more what you are talking about than MOS's are, since MOS's are Military Skill Programs, & Superspies are not military.

It is easier to modify something, than to come up with something totally new.
------
"...from time to time assassinate frame or sabotage someone or in the case of counter-intelligence agents stop other spies from doing those things."

Correction....
'...from time to time assassinate, frame, or sabotage someone. Or in the case of counter-intelligence agents, stop other spies from doing those things.'

commas save lives...
➢Let's eat kids. vs. Let's eat, kids.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Ryo...

If that were true, a mystic would be pegging on every person whom happens to have a Miscreant, Diabolic, or Aberrant alignment as they walk through a crowd. They don't. Even if said person is having passing thoughts about how a quick twist of a knife here; she'd be fun to "play" with; Security in there is a joke, I could take the store in 30 seconds, etc...

Heck, your mystic can be walking along the sidewalk as an evil person is actively committing evil acts on the residents, and never know. Mystics are open to the "beyond," no the adjacent.
Now, if you were actively scanning...you could save the residents, but no mystic keeps themselves *that* open...that leads to possessions, madness, and death.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Borast wrote:Ryo...

If that were true, a mystic would be pegging on every person whom happens to have a Miscreant, Diabolic, or Aberrant alignment as they walk through a crowd. They don't. Even if said person is having passing thoughts about how a quick twist of a knife here; she'd be fun to "play" with; Security in there is a joke, I could take the store in 30 seconds, etc...

Heck, your mystic can be walking along the sidewalk as an evil person is actively committing evil acts on the residents, and never know. Mystics are open to the "beyond," no the adjacent.
Now, if you were actively scanning...you could save the residents, but no mystic keeps themselves *that* open...that leads to possessions, madness, and death.

it only senses supernatural evil but the ability is CALLLED sense evil. is this getting siderailed because some of us are using the name and some of us are using the effect? this is getting off-topic because of your misreading if my statement.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

this is all overlooking the fact that OP's calling for MOS tracks, but they're trying to actually install more powers, which.....is not how MOSs work.

if you really want special powers you should take note that the suerspy OCC can selects being a super powered DBee as their special power, which means the class sidesteps the normal limitations imposed on various races. just pick something that has the powers you want and run with that since you seem more concerned with your character's personality being represented with the right abilities rather than origins.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Orin J. wrote:this is all overlooking the fact that OP's calling for MOS tracks, but they're trying to actually install more powers, which.....is not how MOSs work.

if you really want special powers you should take note that the suerspy OCC can selects being a super powered DBee as their special power, which means the class sidesteps the normal limitations imposed on various races. just pick something that has the powers you want and run with that since you seem more concerned with your character's personality being represented with the right abilities rather than origins.

There's a difference between class abilities and new powers.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ryokoryu wrote:
Orin J. wrote:this is all overlooking the fact that OP's calling for MOS tracks, but they're trying to actually install more powers, which.....is not how MOSs work.

There's a difference between class abilities and new powers.

There's also a difference between MOS skill sets and class powers, and i'd say that one's the bigger difference.

Return to “Rifts®”