Sundog pcc

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gam3tam3r
Newb

Sundog pcc

Unread post by Gam3tam3r »

Question: ive been looking through the land of the dead book and found the dying races and additional monsters. I understand that a sundog is normally classified as a monster but gives optional o.c.c.'s. I also understand that, while not reccomended for a P.C.C., it is also not exclusively forbidden. Id like to make a sundog psi-mystic as it is an optional o.c.c. for the race, however there is a bit of counter-intuitive text folling in the description... "it can use magic or psionics, but not both." Mechanically hiw would this work if i took a psi-mystic class... my party and i have already hashed out the other details... such as the inability to take skills that require opposable thumbs, limiting its supernatural and racial abilites as a "worldly experience acquirement, such as teleport being late-game (lvl 15+), keening wails at lvls 4,6, and 8 etc.. im mostly interested in hashing out the psi-mystic portion.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Sundog pcc

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

It says that sundogs "either posses magic or psionic abilities, but not both." and then goes on to list the natural magic or psionic abilities that all sundogs possess. These are in addition to any power granted by an O.C.C., i.e. a sundog scholar would gain either these magic or psionic abilities, but no more, whereas a sundog mystic would also gain all its mystic abilities as well. Hope that helps!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

✦The Sundog is in the Land of the Damned book one.
✦Sundogs are a Race. Not a Class. (commenting on topic title)
✦'Why are you asking here instead of the PF forum?' would be a pondering.
✦After reading the text I would put them in the Creatures of Magic classification. (not a monster) One of the reasons is that they are an optional player char race.
✦I don't see where you got the Idea that PCCs are not recommended.
➢Yes, I agree that including the Psi-Mystic in the allowed classes list does not conform to the magic or Psionics not both text.
✦The T-port and KW already have sufficient limitations Per exp already. I wouldn't put any 'Can't do this before said level' restrictions. Might reduce the +100 lb./L to 50 lb./L if anything.
✦ What did you mean by "keening wails at lvls 4,6, and 8 etc.." ? Once per melee looks to me an already good limitation. Just because it doesn't fit what you expect it to be doesn't mean it is bad.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Welcome to the forum, Gam3tam3r!

Soldier of Od gave the useful answer: a Sundog Psi-Mystic would add one of their natively available psionic or magical abilities to those gained from the class. Per PFRPG14 pg 43 they wouldn't add any native P.P.E. or I.S.P to the value gained from their class. I put together a list of those species whom explicitly add any intrinsic values to those gained from class, should that be of any use to you. That said, Mystic classes could in general stand a little love, so in a home game I'd just throw it in.

Return to “Rifts®”