The Coalition and Wild Psi-Stalkers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The Coalition and Wild Psi-Stalkers

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I can't recall anything off the top of my head about how the CS regards Wild psi-stalker tribes. Is there any specific animosity, or any indication of alliances between the CS and any wild psi-stalker tribes?
It seems reasonable off the top of my head for the two groups to be rather neutral toward one another, barring any specific beef such as the CS trying to expand their territory into a tribe's lands or something.
The stalkers can't really feed well on the CS troops or citizens, and the CS has an investment in the stalker tribes helping keep down monster/mage populations.

But is there anything official?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: The Coalition and Wild Psi-Stalkers

Unread post by Orin J. »

the gist seems to be that the CS just.....doesn't openly admit "tribes" of psi-stalkers exist and treats them like a psychic human instead of a true-breeding subspecies, probably to avoid asking the question of "how close to we cut to the bone defining human?". the CS has a very poor position when it comes to arguing about human mutants, in general.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Likewise, I can't recall any official position, but could extrapolate from the second-class citizen thing.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

WB11 pg32 (CS City Access by Race) "Wild Psi-Stalkers are considered dangerous, unallied mercenaries or even as D-Bees. They are NEVER knowingly allowed into the cities except under the special and rare authorization permits."

Given the text gives it a range of either mercenary or D-Bee for how Wild Psi-Stalkers are considered for entry purposes into CS Cities wild Psi-Stalkers probably will be regarded in a similar manner. Though individual tribes might exist with better (or worse) relations depending on their history with the CS.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

ShadowLogan wrote:WB11 pg32 (CS City Access by Race) "Wild Psi-Stalkers are considered dangerous, unallied mercenaries or even as D-Bees. They are NEVER knowingly allowed into the cities except under the special and rare authorization permits."

Given the text gives it a range of either mercenary or D-Bee for how Wild Psi-Stalkers are considered for entry purposes into CS Cities wild Psi-Stalkers probably will be regarded in a similar manner. Though individual tribes might exist with better (or worse) relations depending on their history with the CS.

Yeah, I don't see the CS letting the Wilds into their cities, or even within their territory in any significant numbers.
But I DO see them perhaps selling or trading arms and armor with the Wilds, not just for direct profit but to help the Wilds kill more supernatural people and things.
In desperate times or special circumstances, I could see them sending in Special Forces to help train and/or steer the tribes a bit, or even coordinating attacks and defenses as allies in war against a mutual enemy.
That's the sort of ways that "civilized" nations have typically dealt with "primitive tribes of savages," and I assume it'd be about the same with the CS and the Wild Psi-Stalkers.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

since it says 'cities' they probably just let them into towns, which are probably the ones supernatural monsters attack most anyway
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

To reverse it a bit... I can't see many Wild Psi-Stalkers wanting to enter a CS city. So it may not come up all that often.

As for CS relations with tribes, I'd bet they treat them as a useful pawn.
-- Establish basic trade for goods/services. Nothing significant, just enough to be friends.
-- Share basic intel on threats in the area, specifically on monsters that both groups want dead.
-- Double the above for those tribes fighting Xiticix.
-- Keep an eye on them, just in case the tribe starts to get too big for their britches.

Every demon/monster/critter killed by the a tribe is one less for the CS to worry about.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mack wrote:To reverse it a bit... I can't see many Wild Psi-Stalkers wanting to enter a CS city. So it may not come up all that often.

As for CS relations with tribes, I'd bet they treat them as a useful pawn.
-- Establish basic trade for goods/services. Nothing significant, just enough to be friends.
-- Share basic intel on threats in the area, specifically on monsters that both groups want dead.
-- Double the above for those tribes fighting Xiticix.
-- Keep an eye on them, just in case the tribe starts to get too big for their britches.

Every demon/monster/critter killed by the a tribe is one less for the CS to worry about.

Right.
I cannot envision any scenario where the CS doesn't plan to eventually exterminate or Tame the Wilds.
But for now, I can see them trying to use them.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Killer Cyborg wrote:cannot envision any scenario where the CS doesn't plan to eventually exterminate or Tame the Wilds.

I think they're so useful and incredibly low-priority that the CS wouldn't even bother to draft plans to exterminate them.

Even in cases where they can't be tamed it would be useful to let them roam wild in wilderness to intercede against randomly rifted-in monsters.

They just don't seem like any kind of serious threat.

Taming/exterminating the Psi-Ghost families OTOH...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:cannot envision any scenario where the CS doesn't plan to eventually exterminate or Tame the Wilds.

I think they're so useful and incredibly low-priority that the CS wouldn't even bother to draft plans to exterminate them.

Even in cases where they can't be tamed it would be useful to let them roam wild in wilderness to intercede against randomly rifted-in monsters.

They just don't seem like any kind of serious threat.

Taming/exterminating the Psi-Ghost families OTOH...

I can certainly agree that they wouldn't have a plan specifically for them or anything. they should be very far down the priority list. something to do *after* the CS has taken out Lazlo, the pecos bandits, the Vampire Kingdoms, New Lazlo, the various communities nearby that don't hate magic or d-bees enough, etc.

with that said, they probably have plans on how to take down enemies that are similar enough that they could easily adapt them for wild psi-stalkers... large bandit groups or simvan tribes, for exmaple.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I always read wild stalker tribes as being out in the, ahem, wild. In that case, they would deal not with the mega-cities, but with coalition outposts.

Coalition outpost bases, little ones dotted outside the safety or the core states, would have to make nice with the locals or face enemies that vastly outnumber them. The tactical advantages of coalition tech and training would be sorely tested against 10,000 screaming psi-stalkers.

I presume local commanders have a very tolerant, even low-key friendly, view of the human mutant tribes near them, especially since those tribes EAT MONSTERS.

Yep, monster eating human mutant neighbors. It's a strange world.

Return to “Rifts®”