Blackwell Arms

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Blackwell Arms

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The next installment I'm working on for The Goodwater Chronicles involves a pre-Rifts arms company of my own devising, Blackwell Arms, a subsidiary of Blackwell Tools Incorporated.
Blackwell Tools was geared around the development and manufacture of power tools for civilian sale, with highly efficient batteries being the main selling point.
As laser technology grew, and laser-based power tools became increasingly common, Blackwell rose to prominence as one of the few companies whose battery technology could handle the massive power requirements. When laser weapons became available for civilian use in both hunting and self-defense, Blackwell seized the opportunity to use their superior batteries in this new arena, and Blackwell Arms was created to handle the new market.
Blackwell Arms enjoyed a profitable rise to prominence in the arms industry as more and more people switched from old-fashioned cartridge weapons to new (but still SDC) laser, ion, and even eventually particle beam and plasma weapons.
The downfall of Blackwell came about as ever-evolving technology brought about the creation of new and unprecedented advances in power storage, including the devices that would eventually become known as "Energy Clips." Rather than retool all their existing designs away from relying on their patented battery technology, Blackwell clung to the designs that had previously let them dominate a large share of the market, and as E-Clips became increasingly popular and efficient, Blackwell saw their dominance slowly vanish out from under them.
While Blackwell ultimately went bankrupt, they were able to stave off this fate to some degree by taking advantage of a new innovation which allowed them to link multiple Blackwell batteries in tandem, achieving overall greater levels of power storage than even the massively powerful E-Clips of the day.
Even though each Blackwell Battery individually held only a fraction of the energy of a single E-Clip, the Blackwell Power Bandolier allowed for up to a dozen Blackwell Batteries to be linked together in special belt-like devices, for an overall greater net energy storage than an E-Clip. Furthermore, as long as one had more fully charged Blackwell batteries, the bandolier design allowed for the energy storage to be "topped off" much more easily than the current line of E-Clips, which needed to be mostly depleted before the lengthy recharging process could begin; individual Blackwell batteries could be removed from the bandolier, and replaced with freshly charged batteries.
In order to transfer energy from the bandolier to the tool/weapon in question, a (sometimes retractable) power cord ran from the belt to a battery-shaped device which could plug into the tool/weapon's standard battery port. This elegant design not only allowed for up to 12x the normal operating time, the battery-like plug of any Blackwell Power Bandolier could plug into another bandolier for further combined storage.
A standard 12-socket bandolier could plug into one of a second bandolier's sockets, for a total of 23 batteries worth of power to use!
And there was no limit to the number of bandoliers one could chain together in this manner, meaning that there was no upward limit to the amount of power storage one could achieve, other than the limitations of expense and physical bulk.

When I was creating this company, I came up with a whole arsenal of weaponry and power tools, and I [u]thought[/i] I posted all of it here in the forums at some point.
But I can find zero trace of it if I did! :(

Which means that any and/or all notes I made about Blackwell are likely buried somewhere in my stacks of old RPG notebooks and other papers, somewhere in my office or living room.
Rather than attempt to search through all my stuff to find these notes, I think it may well be easier for me to start over from memory.

When it came to stats for these weapons and tools, I used existing official SDC energy weapons and tools from various non-Mega-Damage Palladium settings. So a Blackwell laser rifle, for example, would be identical or nigh-identical to a generic laser rifle from HU, BtS, N&S, or some similar source.
I don't recall if I created any mega-damage weapons/tools for Blackwell, but if so, they'd likely be minimal; my head-canon is that mega-damage weapons were restricted almost entirely for military use, but I could go with some LOW-end MD weapons/tools as well.

If anybody would care to assist me in rebuilding this fictional company's catalog, I'd appreciate it!
Rather than pore over every book, it'd be nice if we could pool our resources to come up with a decent reference list of SDC energy weapons and/or power tools that would fit into the mostly-pre-MD niche I'm trying to fill.
Anything from posting specific weapon/tool stats that you'd think would fit, to simply posting books and page numbers where the kinds of things I'm looking for are listed (i.e, "HU2 pp 110-112 list Bionic Weapons, including a mini-laser and some other energy weapons").

I'd also like general feedback on this idea, and any ideas you might have about what kinds of weapons and technology might bridge the massive gaps from the SDC energy weapons from BtS 240-241 to the basic energy weapons of Rifts, which inflict 1d4-1d6 Mega-Damage.
I've always felt that there's a ton of fleshing-out that could be done when it comes to that kind of massive hole in Palladium's weapons and other devices.

I also plan to use this thread to post various statted-out Blackwell gear as I work on this little project, and feedback on that stuff is also more than welcome.
:D

Design-wise, I picture Blackwell Batteries as 4.5" long cylinders, with a 1" diameter, and a weight of about 5 oz. While smaller power tools might use a single battery, the norm for most handheld tools is to have two battery ports, and for larger tools such as chainsaws, 3-4 battery ports would be more appropriate.
I do NOT recall what level of efficiency I wanted these batteries to have in comparison to a standard E-Clip, but I'm assuming that each battery was somewhere in the 1/5-1/10 range compared to E-Clips.
So if I wanted to build a Blackwell equivalent of a Wilk's 320 laser pistol (20 shots per standard E-Clip), the Blackwell version would only get 2-4 shots per battery, and would probably have two battery ports as standard, for a combined total of 4-8 shots before having to reload.
If this sounds too overpowered or too underpowered for the niche I've described, please let me know, so I can at least consider other points of view.

Thanks in advance for any help!
:ok:
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Blackwell Arms

Looking at BtS 240-241, a "standard laser rifle" inflicts 6d6 SDC per shot, and the E-Clip capacity is 20 blasts.
Looking at RMB 203, the C-12 Heavy Assault Laser Rifle has a 6d6 SDC setting which uses 1/6 of 1 MD charge per shot. Since the C-12 gets 20 MD blasts per standard E-Clip, that means that the C-12 gets 120 blasts at the 6d6 SDC setting.
By this comparison, a Rifts Earth standard E-Clip holds 6x the energy that a BtS holds.

A Blackwell Arms laser rifle that could likewise hold 20 blasts would do so using 2-3 batteries, and 2 seems more aesthetically pleasing so I'll go with that.
That means that 1 Blackwell Battery (I wouldn't mind a catchier name for these, as long as "E-Clip" isn't part of the name) would hold 10 6d6 SDC blasts in this kind of laser rifle, and that would mean that a C-12's standard E-Clip would be worth 12 Blackwell Batteries.
Coincidentally, that means that one full Blackwell Power Bandolier would net out as equal to 12 standard E-Clips, which is actually about where I'd like it to be.
:)

So I think I'll use that as a basic ratio, perhaps adjusting the numbers depending on the energy efficiency of the weapon/tool involved:
1 Rifts standard E-Clip = 12 Blackwell Batteries = 6 BtS E-Clips
1 Blackwell Battery = 1/2 BtS standard E-Clip = 1/12 Rifts standard E-Clip
1 BtS E-Clip = 2 Blackwell Batteries = 1/6 Rifts standard E-Clips

It also occurs to me that one of the final moves for Blackwell would likely have been to come up with a Blackwell Battery conversion device that would fit into a standard E-Clip port, making their batteries much more efficient. I don't think it should be possible the other way, though, using E-Clips to power Blackwell gear; the energy dump from an E-Clip would be much greater, for one.
But it could well make sense for Blackwell to have come out with that kind of converter as well, again to keep their product line at least somewhat relevant and to cash in on the emerging E-Clip market.

Anyway, here are the Blackwell versions of the BtS energy weapons:

BA-SLP1 "Carlton" Laser Pistol
Range: 600'
Damage: 4d6 SDC
Rate of Fire: Single Shot Only
Battery Capacity: 10 blasts per Blackwell Battery
Weight: 1.5 lbs
Cost: The current cost of this weapon in Rifts Earth varies wildly depending on whether the weapon is being bought to be used, or as a pre-Rifts antique.
If anybody has any good ideas for gauging price, please let me know!
;)

BA-SLR1 "Deerslayer" Laser Rifle
Range: 4,000'
Damage: 6d6 SDC
Rate of Fire: Single Shot Only.
Battery Capacity: 10 blasts per Blackwell Battery, two battery ports are located in the weapon's stock.
Weight: 7 lbs
Cost: ???

BA-HLR1 "Antaeus" Heavy Laser Rifle
Range: 2,000'
Damage: 6d6+10 SDC
Rate of Fire: Single Shot Only
Battery Capacity: 10 shots per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip, and two additional battery ports in the foregrip (40 shots total).
Weight: 8.5 lbs

BA-LW1 "Villa Monster" Laser Wand
Range: 300'
Damage: 1d6 SDC for light use setting (1 charge per shot)
or 2d6 SDC for heavy use setting (2 charges per shot)
Rate of Fire: Continuous, like a flashlight, but damage is calculated on 1 attack/action's worth of the beam contacting the target. Effectively single shot only.
Battery Capacity: 20 charges per Blackwell Battery, with a single battery port located in the handle.
Weight: 4 oz (not counting the weight of the battery itself)

BA-PBR1 "Game Master" Particle Beam Rifle
Damage: 1d6x10 SDC OR 2d8x10 SDC. (See below)
Due to the unstable nature of early particle beams, the Game Master only hits the target on a modified strike of 11+.
A strike roll of 11-17 indicates the target was grazed for 1d6x10 SDC, and a 18+ to strike indicates a solid hit that inflicts 2d8x10 SDC. Natural 20s inflict x2 damage as usual.
Against MDC targets, 1 MDC is lost for every 100 points of SDC damage inflicted in a single attack/shot.
Battery Capacity: 5 blasts per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the rifle's grip.
Weight: 12 lbs
Cost: ????

BA-SIB1 "Little Sister" Ion Pistol
Range: 400'
Damage: 2d6+2 SDC
Battery Capacity: 7 blasts per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip.
Weight: 2 lbs

BA-SIB2 "Big Brother" Heavy Ion Blaster
Range: 200'
Damage: 4d6 SDC
Battery Capacity: 5 blasts per battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip.
Weight: 4 lbs

BA-SLP2 "Laser Prince" Laser Pistol
Damage: 4d6 SDC per single shot, or 8d6 SDC for a 3-shot burst.
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, or 3-shot burst.
Battery Capacity: 10 blasts per Blackwell Battery
Weight: 1.5 lbs

BA-SLR2 "Chingachgook" Laser Rifle
Damage: 6d6 SDC per single shot, or 12d6 per 3-shot burst.
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, or a 3-shot burst.
Battery Capacity: 10 blasts per Blackwell Battery, two battery ports are located in the weapon's stock.
Weight: 7 lbs

BA-HLR2 "Hercules" Heavy Laser Rifle
Range: 2,000'
Damage: 6d6+10 SDC per single shot, or 12d6+20 per 3-shot burst.
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, or 3-round burst.
Battery Capacity: 10 shots per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip, and two additional battery ports in the foregrip (40 shots total).
Weight: 8.5 lbs

BA-LW2 "Taylor" Laser Wand
Damage: 1d6 SDC per charge used, with up to 4 charges usable per single shot
Rate of Fire: Continuous, like a flashlight, but damage is calculated on 1 attack/action's worth of the beam contacting the target. Effectively single shot only.
Battery Capacity: 20 charges per Blackwell Battery, with a single battery port located in the handle.
Weight: 4 oz (not counting the weight of the battery itself)

BA-PBR1 "War Master" Particle Beam Rifle
Damage: 2d6x10 SDC OR 4d8x10 SDC. (See below)
Due to the unstable nature of early particle beams, the Game Master only hits the target on a modified strike of 11+.
A strike roll of 11-17 indicates the target was grazed for 2d6x10 SDC, and a 18+ to strike indicates a solid hit that inflicts 4d8x10 SDC. Natural 20s inflict x2 damage as usual.
Against MDC targets, 1 MDC is lost for every 100 points of SDC damage inflicted in a single attack/shot.
Battery Capacity: 5 blasts per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the rifle's grip.
Weight: 12 lbs
Cost: ????

BA-SIB3 "Uncle Bob" Ion Pistol
Damage: 4d6+4 SDC
Battery Capacity: 7 blasts per Blackwell Battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip.
Weight: 4 lbs

BA-SIB2 "Big Poppa" Heavy Ion Blaster
Damage: 1d4x10 SDC
Battery Capacity: 5 blasts per battery, with two battery ports located in the weapon's grip.
Weight: 6 lbs

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I welcome Blackwell to the online fan corporation catalogues.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

seems like they'd also be in a good position when it comes to making electric vehicles. a lighter, more efficient battery could make a big difference in fuel economy even for ground-based vehicles, but for something like a hover vehicle or aircraft where part of the energy is going into defeating gravity it would be hard for anyone else to compete. combine that with a convenient system that allows you to very easily attach them together (considering that standard vehicles likely require expensive custom jobs done by a highly-trained professional while pretty much anyone can plug a couple of these things together to give more battery capacity) and I would think it almost inevitable that they expand into the electric vehicle market (or at least if they don't produce vehicles I'd expect they produce vehicle parts).
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Blackwell Battery (I wouldn't mind a catchier name for these, as long as "E-Clip" isn't part of the name)

Greetings and Salutations. I'm half asleep right now, which means I can be anywhere for brilliant to a raving fool. Take these ideas with that in mind.

Battery Chips, or "B-Chip"? Yes, I came up with that idea while thinking of something close to E-Clip but technically not as a joke. But, the idea did start to grow on me. If E-Clips replaced the Blackwell Batteries, I'm just imagining the E-Clip marketing department that decided to use a similar name to spark the connection in a buyer's mind (and just different enough to avoid being sued). "Like what you already know, only better."

BB-Rod, P-Cells (Power Cells), Ion Stick?

As this all went on in my head I started thinking about products and the company's roots. I started thinking of Power Tool melee weapons.

A drill knife designed to bore into armor and/or flesh. Probably not the most practical. But, this made me think of a jigsaw sword. Now that might seem kind silly at first, but then I started thinking of that as kind of a precursor to Vibro-Blades and/or Chainsaw Swords. So a power tool weapon that bridges the gap of what we have and what exists in the Golden Age. The lower power means it doesn't create an energy field or do M.D.

Again, half asleep and not the best judge of quality right now. I figured type it here before I fell asleep and forgot and let others judge. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

taalismn wrote:I welcome Blackwell to the online fan corporation catalogues.

Why, thank you!
:-D

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shark_Force wrote:seems like they'd also be in a good position when it comes to making electric vehicles. a lighter, more efficient battery could make a big difference in fuel economy even for ground-based vehicles, but for something like a hover vehicle or aircraft where part of the energy is going into defeating gravity it would be hard for anyone else to compete. combine that with a convenient system that allows you to very easily attach them together (considering that standard vehicles likely require expensive custom jobs done by a highly-trained professional while pretty much anyone can plug a couple of these things together to give more battery capacity) and I would think it almost inevitable that they expand into the electric vehicle market (or at least if they don't produce vehicles I'd expect they produce vehicle parts).

Yeah, good thoughts!
I was thinking that I'd design some e-clip powered cars at some point, but I hadn't thought of it for Blackwell, even though their battery tech would probably suffice.
A single Blackwell Battery is 1/12 of an e-clip (under current stats).
An e-clip has the energy of 1,000 car batteries.
Ergo, a single Blackwell battery is worth 83.33 standard car batteries.

I assume that's plenty powerful enough for some kind of electric vehicle all on its own, but I don't know enough about electricity and batteries to figure out "how many standard car batteries would it take to power an electric car" or other kinds of measures that could be translated into a simple "it'd take x standard batteries to power an electric car."
So if anybody else has some good ideas, let's hear them!
(If not, I'll google around heavy later sometimes.)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prysus wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Blackwell Battery (I wouldn't mind a catchier name for these, as long as "E-Clip" isn't part of the name)

Greetings and Salutations. I'm half asleep right now, which means I can be anywhere for brilliant to a raving fool. Take these ideas with that in mind.

Battery Chips, or "B-Chip"? Yes, I came up with that idea while thinking of something close to E-Clip but technically not as a joke. But, the idea did start to grow on me. If E-Clips replaced the Blackwell Batteries, I'm just imagining the E-Clip marketing department that decided to use a similar name to spark the connection in a buyer's mind (and just different enough to avoid being sued). "Like what you already know, only better."

BB-Rod, P-Cells (Power Cells), Ion Stick?

I like the sound of "B-Chip!"
I'm not sure about the "chip" part for describing these particular cylindrical batteries, but E-Clips aren't exactly "clips" either, so it's worth thinking about. I could come up with a story to explain the name, if I wanted.
I'll mull it over. Thanks!

As this all went on in my head I started thinking about products and the company's roots. I started thinking of Power Tool melee weapons.

A drill knife designed to bore into armor and/or flesh. Probably not the most practical. But, this made me think of a jigsaw sword. Now that might seem kind silly at first, but then I started thinking of that as kind of a precursor to Vibro-Blades and/or Chainsaw Swords. So a power tool weapon that bridges the gap of what we have and what exists in the Golden Age. The lower power means it doesn't create an energy field or do M.D.

Again, half asleep and not the best judge of quality right now. I figured type it here before I fell asleep and forgot and let others judge. Farewell and safe journeys.

Hmmm... I think I like the idea of a jigsword! That might be quite interesting. I was thinking of making some chainswords, chainknives, and chainmachetes for Blackwell, and some jigstuff would work pretty well instead of or in addition to those.