Rune weapon dragon head blast strike bonus?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Rune weapon dragon head blast strike bonus?

Unread post by narcissus »

Looking for opinions on what to use for the rune weapon dragon head blast (ex. Sword of Atlantis) strike bonus? PP? WP sword? WP energy pistol or rifle? Something else entirely? A combination?

I'm leaning towards PP + rifle, or just rifle, but would like to know what other people use in their games.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Rune weapon dragon head blast strike bonus?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

narcissus wrote:Looking for opinions on what to use for the rune weapon dragon head blast (ex. Sword of Atlantis) strike bonus? PP? WP sword? WP energy pistol or rifle? Something else entirely? A combination?

I'm leaning towards PP + rifle, or just rifle, but would like to know what other people use in their games.

Do you mean..'What strike bonus do I use for the Sword of Atlantis' dragon head blast?'?

If that is the question, then just the char's PP bonus if they have one. No WP within the Rifts game is applicable to this.

---
Note: when giving an 'example' the proper English abbreviation is 'eg.: '.
(nope. Don't know the 'why' that particular formate is used. It is lost within history or from a foreign word the English appropriated for their own use or taken from math.)
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i feel like if W.P. magic wand was a thing you'd use that, but nothing currently.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Given the similarities to Kittani Plasma Swords (WB2 and repeated elsewhere) and Amaki Blast Swords (WB9) I checked those examples to see how they handled it, or if they even mentioned it. Unfortunately no, they didn't list which WP apply when. At least not directly, their main CCs have the skills that would suggest the E-Rifle applies to ranged attack roles when using those weapons.

Using PP attribute for a strike roll on a ranged attack is not within the general rules (AFAIK no exceptions either), which would make it the realm of the WP. WP E-Rifle would seem to be the best, but at the same time doesn't seem to fit either given the way the sword would be release the attack (this also apples to the above examples) would be awkward I would think. Further complicating it is the nature of Rune weapons might mean the attack's guiding intelligence is not the user but the being powering the weapon.

IMHO one is better off creating a WP for this category or specific type to address the issue, this would be a house rule sort of thing. Restrictive WPs that only apply to a much narrower focus is IINM pretty rare in the Megaverse but it does happen (1E RT had the WPs for the Gallant H-90, and Cyclone Weapon systems neither of which was carried over into 2E, other examples include "Blackpowder Guns", "Net", "Trident", "Deadball" and probably more).
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I would house rule a new skill, WP: Magic Wand, a standard ranged (+3/+1) proficiency covering the gamut of magic things that shoot things, including wands, rods, staves, and the occasional twig.

That skill could be broadened to (or be included separately) WP: Rod, to include tech items such as penlight lasers, death ray flashlights, and plasma lances.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ITWastrel wrote:I would house rule a new skill, WP: Magic Wand, a standard ranged (+3/+1) proficiency covering the gamut of magic things that shoot things, including wands, rods, staves, and the occasional twig.

That skill could be broadened to (or be included separately) WP: Rod, to include tech items such as penlight lasers, death ray flashlights, and plasma lances.

The +3, +1 (aimed, burst) format would work well in the HU or NB games where the MW WPs still use that format. Then again they would only give a bonus to those spells that need to be aimed/have a roll to strike.

The closest WP to this Idea is the Modern Weapons WP in the PF game. Even so, that WP only lets the character shoot while adding their PP bonus to the strike roll.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”