can Elementals draw on ley line PPE?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

can Elementals draw on ley line PPE?

Unread post by Axelmania »

RUE 101's note for the fusionist (can't draw on lines, can draw 30ppe/round from elementals) made me wonder about how elementals themselves function.

Going back to 1991 the Warlock OCC had noted they can't draw PPE from "other living beings" (like the standard casters in RMB could) but pg 59 did let them "draw PPE from elementals of their life sign".

Ironically I think this could mean that elementals are not technically "living beings" ?

Warlocks could explicitly draw PPE from lines/nexi/talisman so that's a major difference from the Fusionist OCC introduced in RUE...

Elementals are described as knowing elemental magic which prompts me to wonder if I should just treat them as being the Warlock OCC themselves, but I don't know if that's be the correct thing to do. There're OCC skills for one thing they wouldn't have, and I don't know if they'd be able to do stuff like summon other elementals...

If elementals are not technically a spellcasting OCC would that mean they can't draw on 10 PPE / round to cast magic with?

Plus even if they could, I don't think that PPE can explicitly be used to restore spent PPE from the base, so that's probably not a work-around for Fusionists.

Fusionists w/ lesser psi might use something like "Restore PPE" to give it back to an elemental they borrow it from maybe, or maybe you can use restore PPE on yourself directly too, not sure.

Ley lines do give ISP so that seems like one way you might indirectly use ley line's energy to power fusionist spells.

"draw upon the ambient P.P.E. at ley lines and convert it" sounds like it would be in lieu of the usual 10 PPE so someone who can draw on either PPE or ISP (like a Mystic) would probably have to choose one or the other

ISP also can't be stored long (mus tbe used in 15 seconds) compared to PPE which I think was set at PE minutes in BOM (down from PE hours in a Rifter FAQ) and maybe down to PE melees as of Heart of Magic (depending on if it applies megaversally to Rifts, dunno)

Return to “Rifts®”