What is the value in these spells?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

What is the value in these spells?

Unread post by narcissus »

There are a couple of spell pairs that I just can't wrap my head around why one of the pair exists, and I'm wondering if I'm misinterpreting something or it's just good ol' Palladium editing...

Level 3:

Resist Fire
Range: Self or others ("The spell can be cast up to 60 feet" in the description)
Duration: 20 melees per level
PPE: 6

Impervious to Fire
Range: Self or others up to 60 feet (18.3 m) away
Duration: 5 minutes (20 melees) per level
PPE: 5

Why does Resist Fire even exist? It costs more PPE, has the exact same duration and range, but only offers resistance, not imperviousness.

New Tattoos (DB15):

Negate Magic
PPE: 40

Dispel Magic Barriers
PPE: 45

It's always been my understanding that the Negate Magic spell covers what the Dispel Magic Barriers spell can do, but cost more PPE and had a shorter range, so there was a bit of a trade off. With the Dispel Magic Barriers tattoo costing more PPE than the Negate Magic tattoo, what's the point of its existence? Is there some mechanic I'm not understanding that allows Dispel Magic Barriers to affect things that Negate Magic can't?
Giant2005
Knight

Re: What is the value in these spells?

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Redundancy exists in real life too. I can buy a cheap Huawei or Xiaomi phone, or I can buy an iPhone with worse specs for a higher price; yet iPhones still sell like wildfire.
People sometimes have values that lie outside of specs or costs and sometimes they don't even have a choice. If your Spellcaster is planning on an adventure where being resistant or immune to fire would be useful, but the only mage in town willing to teach him anything, only had access to Resist Fire. Then your Spellcaster would probably make do with what he could get his hands on.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I agree the differences in the spells are slight. The significant difference is:
-- Impervious to Fire offers better protection.
-- Resist Fire can affect up to two people.

As for the tattoos, they have different purposes. They are not redundant at all.
-- The Negate Magic tattoo only works on magical effects cast upon the T-Man. It can't be used against a magical barrier.
-- The Dispel Magic Barriers tattoo does expressly what it says, and only that.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

narcissus wrote:It's always been my understanding that the Negate Magic spell covers what the Dispel Magic Barriers spell can do, but cost more PPE and had a shorter range, so there was a bit of a trade off. With the Dispel Magic Barriers tattoo costing more PPE than the Negate Magic tattoo, what's the point of its existence? Is there some mechanic I'm not understanding that allows Dispel Magic Barriers to affect things that Negate Magic can't?

I should say that I haven't ever played Rifts, so the spell descriptions may be different than in the Fantasy game. There are some barrier spells that specifically say they can't be dispelled without Dispel Magic Barriers in the Fantasy game. For example, all Warlock wall of (insert material here) spells require dispel magic barriers instead of just dispel magic. In 1E, this even applies to some spells you wouldn't necessarily think of as a barrier like Carpet of Adhesion. Basically, it is a more powerful, focused dispel. If there aren't any spells in Rifts that say that is the only thing to dispel them, then it is just a holdover from earlier books and has no real value. Unless the person running the game decides to give it that use from previous books/systems...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I will have to point out these are spell that were in the PF 1st ed. And they are more useful in the setting the PF game uses.

The tattoos....let some t-men not have to have high level mages to get them past magic barriers and to negate magic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

narcissus wrote:There are a couple of spell pairs that I just can't wrap my head around why one of the pair exists, and I'm wondering if I'm misinterpreting something or it's just good ol' Palladium editing...

Level 3:

Resist Fire
Range: Self or others ("The spell can be cast up to 60 feet" in the description)
Duration: 20 melees per level
PPE: 6

Impervious to Fire
Range: Self or others up to 60 feet (18.3 m) away
Duration: 5 minutes (20 melees) per level
PPE: 5

Why does Resist Fire even exist? It costs more PPE, has the exact same duration and range, but only offers resistance, not imperviousness.

One thing worth pointing out is Book of Magic 75 only gives a duration of 2 melees (30 seconds) per level for the 1st level Fire Elemental Spell used by the Warlock OCC...

BOM 83 gives the 5 minutes / level for Resist Fire which is a 2nd level Water Warlock spell which is Self-only.

If anyone is worried about this making them weirdly better than Fire Warlocks for self-protection: I did too until I remembered Fire Warlocks have an automatic fire-halving already as an OCC ability. However this DOES oddly still make water warlocks better for doing long-term protections for allies.

BOM97's version of ITF having a longer duration than the Fire Warlock version on BOM75 rubs me the wrong way. Changing 30 seconds to 5 minutes (300 seconds) is 10x as long! I guess you could justify it by it being a 3rd level spell which should be better than a 1st level one, but I still don't like it... as a house rule I'd say if you don't inherently boost the 1st level Fire Warlock spell from 30s/level to 300s/level then you should at least give the 300s version as a 2nd or 3rd level Fire Warlock spell too, so they can also do long-term protections for cheap PPE.

As for BOM98: I would posit that we could opt to interpret "melees" in the PRPG original sense (minutes) and have it last 20 minutes per level :)

That of course creates a similar problem with balance in relation to the 2nd level Warlock spell, where we could take a similar approach of either option A (buff the warlock spells to match the longer durations of the standard spells) or option B (just float them over as 3rd level fire/warlock spells.

narcissus wrote:Negate Magic spell covers what the Dispel Magic Barriers spell can do,
but cost more PPE and had a shorter range
With the Dispel Magic Barriers tattoo costing more PPE than the Negate Magic tattoo,
what's the point of its existence?

Based on your prior summary: DMB would still have a longer range?

BOM115 (100ft) vs BOM123 (60ft)

Another difference is actually how the spells function in terms of savings throws:
    DMB "spell being attacked automatically gets a standard saving throw"
    NM "roll a saving throw. If the roll is a successful save against the magic in place, its influence is immediately destroyed/"

Also compare...
    DMB "If a successful save is made, the negation spell has no effect;"
    NM "a failed save means the negation attempt did not work"

To paraphrase:
    DMB : barrier vanishes if barrier fails save against DMB, barrier remains if barrier passes save against DMB
    NM: meant to give a reroll to save vs magic in cases where this applies: unclear if this would even work on a barrier, what exactly are you targeting, the air/space/ground where a barrier like Carpet of Adhesion was cast? What exactly is failing the save?

Basically they work in opposite ways:
    Using DMB, the spell strength of the original spell doesn't matter, because the spell itself is rolling to save vs the DMB spell. This gives casters with a high spell strength an advantage in using DMB.
    Using NM, the spell strength of the original spell DOES matter, because it's just allowing the target to reroll their savings throw against the original spell. This gives casters with a high spell strength NO advantage in using DMB, rather what matters is the save vs. magic bonus of the target. IE the best combo is to first cast Invulnerability (+10 vs magic) on something prior to casting NM, so that it is likely to pass this reroll.

The small details here make it seem like NM wouldn't be useful unless you had a target. I guess I'm fine with "target is the air the barrier occupies" but it would have no magic bonuses unless you could also do stuff like cast Invulnerability on a section of air so as to give it a +10 vs magic and make it likely to pass it's savings throw against the "spell strength" of the original magic barrier.

I guess if that's possible you could also cast Invulnerability to guard a spell (or the space it occupies anyway) against DMB.

It's VERY easy to overlook the distinction in the wording of these spells, in fact the writers themselves do! You can see this in BOM120 for Force Bonds
    Dispel Magic Barriers and Negate Magic can be used to make them disappear, but the Forcebonds get a +2 to save.

The spell itself only makes a savings throw when DMB is used against it. A +2 to save doesn't even really make sense against Negate Magic: the way NM functions is a SUCCESSFUL savings throw negates the spell, so bonuses to whatever is being rolled makes it MORE likely to be negated.

BOM141 also seems confused about it for Energy Sphere. A "successful" negate magic drains it of PPE... but what determines a successful NM? Passing your savings throw! But who is making the savings throw? DMB having no effect on ES doesn't make much sense either, surely the "magical globe" containing the PPE is a barrier...

BOM166 mentions Negate Magic can dispel Perun's Fire Scourge, but that's fine since it has a specific target taking ongoing damage.

BOM191 for Grip of Death interestingly says "Negate Magic and Dispel Magic Barrier may offer a means to eradicate the entire magic spell." In the case of using DMB, the GOD spell would roll to save vs magic (failure = DMB wins, GOD ends .. success = DMG fails, GOD continues) but in the case of using NM, ??? rolls save vs magic (success = NM wins, GOD ends ... failure = GOD continues, NM failed)

What is the ??? who rolls to save vs magic to resist GOD in the case of using NM?

All I can figure is the spellcaster themself, even if they aren't even the target of the magic?

Or just "the empty space resists" ?

Keep in mind that Grip of Death may not have actually entangled any victims, you might want to destroy the spell before anyone got caught.

GOD is funny because it doesn't even have a magic save to begin with, it's a HF save and failure means auto-ensnare (no dodge) while success means you can roll dodge vs 16.

BOM 151 note for Impenetrable Wall of Force is one I think many recall:
    Only a Dispel Magic Barriers spell or a powerful Negate Magic will destroy the wall

That's an interesting one though...

"powerful" negate magic makes it sound like Spell Strength would matter for Negate Magic... but does it?

Reading the description of NM: nope, it just gives the target a reroll vs magic.

Rather it is DMB where power matters: because the spell you target rolls (as if a person) against the DMB spell.

All I can figure is a house rule where you NM targets a spell instead of a subject (ie how DMB works) then you have the spell save vs NM (and caster's spell strength) instead of giving a save vs magic to the target of the spell.

As to which version you use, I guess that could be caster's option depending on what you think is more likely to work....

If you're a starter mage with spell strength 12 trying to help your +10 vs magic friend who happened to roll a natural 1 against a spell strength of 12.... then you should use NM as originally written. Using it like DMB works wouldn't have as high a chance of success, it has a 45% chance of resisting you!

If you're a "Spell Strength 17" archmage trying to help your -2 vs magic friend who got hit by the Spell Strength 17 of another archmage... a reroll probably won't help him much, but having that spell roll with no bonuses (always 12) against your spell strength (as DMB works) is FAR more likely to succeed.

BOM64's note on Electro-Magnetism (like IWOF) similarly seems to imply that Negate Magic has a (sadly unwritten in the actual spell description) capacity to function like DMB and target spells themselves to resist (spellfail = dispel, rather than targetsucceed=dispel like NM is defined):
    A Dispel Magic Barriers or Negate Magic spell can destroy the field, but the magnetic field has a +5 to save against them.

Another interesting thing is that many other elemental spells ONLY mention using Dispel Magic Barriers, there's no mention one way or the other for Negate Magic.

BOM46 mentions "Dispel Magic Barriers or Negate Magic can destroy it" for Storm Cloud, but BOM62 "A Dispel Magic Barriers spell will destroy it completely in the blink of an eye." for Invisible Wall, in contrast. Why mention BOTH for SC, but ONE for IW?

Perhaps with NM it's a "never add bonuses or penalties" raw roll in most cases, but then why would you say +5? It's still defined as "failure = spell CONTINUES", while DMB is "failure = spell ENDS". So if anything you would want to invert a bonus to save as a penalty to save in NM if you wanted to make it harder to dispel certain things.

- - -

BOM142 "Remove Curse" for comparison: merely a 10ft range, and here is how it functions:
"A successful save means that the curse is instantly gone. A failed roll to save means the curse is still in effect."

IE it is coded how Negate Magic is, and unlike how DMB is.

NM normally functions like RC but in practice based on how other spells are worded, it's implied to have an alternate application similar to DMB.

Why RC is higher level and costs more PPE is it gives a bonus to the d20 roll. This would especially make sense if NM was always a raw d20 without bonuses instead of allowing a reroll at usual bonuses.

There are also spells which explicitly are immune to NM but not AC, or sometimes instead of d20 rolls have % chances of working depending on which one is used.
narcissus
Explorer

Axelmania wrote:Basically they work in opposite ways:
Using DMB, the spell strength of the original spell doesn't matter, because the spell itself is rolling to save vs the DMB spell. This gives casters with a high spell strength an advantage in using DMB.
Using NM, the spell strength of the original spell DOES matter, because it's just allowing the target to reroll their savings throw against the original spell. This gives casters with a high spell strength NO advantage in using DMB, rather what matters is the save vs. magic bonus of the target. IE the best combo is to first cast Invulnerability (+10 vs magic) on something prior to casting NM, so that it is likely to pass this reroll.

I never realized that they had different mechanics, but from the wording you're correct.

So Dispel Magic Barriers, it's the barrier (no inherent bonus) saving against the dispeller's spell strength.

With Negate Magic it's someone/something saving against the original caster's spell strength. However I'm not sold, given the wording that this someone/something is the original target of the spell. Why doesn't the negater - the person casting Negate Magic - get his save bonus? He's the one casting it, after all. The description reads as though its audience is the caster - "Try again if sufficient PPE is available" - is clearly talking to the caster. So why wouldn't "To determine whether the negation is successful or not roll a saving throw. If the roll is a successful save against the magic in place, its influence is immediately destroyed, negated, canceled" also be talking to the caster? And if the caster is making a save against magic then inherently he should be getting his bonus.

So what this says to me is that DMB is the barrier making a save against the dispeller's spell strength. Barrier gets no bonuses unless otherwise noted.

NM is the negater making a save against the original caster's spell strength. Negater gets his bonus vs. magic just like he would on any magic saving's throw.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The formula said in words for the "Remove Curse" spell is

Roll a D20
Add in the inherent bonus in the spell. If it was by invocation it is a +5, if it was by ritual it is a +10.
If the D20 and bonus is over the original curse caster's spell str. the curse is lifted. If the total of the two was under the original curse caster's spell str. the curse remains.

So while the wording is clunky, it does make since once you know how it's suppose to work.
Yes, the math is worked that way so the spell rarely fails to remove the curse.

The "none" listed under the Saving Throw section means that you Do Not add any bonus vs magic the char the curse is on.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The formula said in words for the "Remove Curse" spell is

Roll a D20
Add in the inherent bonus in the spell. If it was by invocation it is a +5, if it was by ritual it is a +10.
If the D20 and bonus is over the original curse caster's spell str. the curse is lifted. If the total of the two was under the original curse caster's spell str. the curse remains.

So while the wording is clunky, it does make since once you know how it's suppose to work.

The "none" listed under the Saving Throw section means that you Do Not add any bonus vs magic the char the curse is on.

Pretty sure that ST:none just means you can't opt out of getting that 2nd savings throw if you want to stay cursed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The formula said in words for the "Remove Curse" spell is

Roll a D20

Pretty sure that ST:none just means you can't opt out of getting that 2nd savings throw if you want to stay cursed.
That too.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoggoth1351
D-Bee

Unread post by Shoggoth1351 »

Resist fire costs 3 PPE. Palladium RPG 2nd ed.
Axelmania
Knight

Does anyone recall if there's a way to generate optional saves against spells which usually have no saves? Kind of like what Spellshield does in GURPS.

Like for those "I don't want you to heal my wound" situations, since only some of the healing spells have optional saves.
narcissus
Explorer

Shoggoth1351 wrote:Resist fire costs 3 PPE. Palladium RPG 2nd ed.

That may be, but it's 6 in Rifts Ultimate and Book of Magic.
Shoggoth1351
D-Bee

Unread post by Shoggoth1351 »

narcissus wrote:
Shoggoth1351 wrote:Resist fire costs 3 PPE. Palladium RPG 2nd ed.

That may be, but it's 6 in Rifts Ultimate and Book of Magic.

I guess that’s why I didn’t reference them... reading between the lines, the PPE cost may be an error that has been cut and pasted through out Rifts. Something to consider if you feel it balances the spell in your game.
Axelmania
Knight

To reiterate the problem from earlier notes...
    BOM75: impervious 1st level fire, 5ppe, 30 seconds (self/other)
    BOM83: resist 2nd level water, 6ppe 300 seconds (self only)
    BOM97 impervious 3rd level wizard 5ppe 300seconds (self/other)
    BOM98 resist 3rd level wizard 6ppe 300 seconds (self/other)

Issues:
    1) made the same level (instead of resist being higher)
    2) made equally available to the same class (instead of fire/water split)
    3) ignores fire warlocks have inherent 'resist fire' which is probably why it's cheaper for them to use Impervious
    4) duration of impervious multiplied 10x without increasing the cost or level
Seems PF noticed this and tried to remedy it by slashing resist's cost in half instead of giving it a x10 duration multiplier too. Maybe resist fire should just last 50 minutes per level.

Return to “Rifts®”