That other CS

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

That other CS

Unread post by Jefffar »

Hello all. I was recalling the other day that Kevin has claimed that Heroes Unlimited earth is the past of Rifts Earth.

So logically, that would mean that Century Station was a part of the past of Rifts Earth. Now I doubt it did well during the apocalypse, what with the coastal location and the presence of at least one nexus in town IIRC but New York has similar problems and still sort of exists on Rifts Earth.

So, I want to ask if anyone has placed Century Station into the context of Rifts and what they did with it?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
dragonfett
Knight

Re: That other CS

Unread post by dragonfett »

Where would it be, geographically?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Jefffar wrote:
So, I want to ask if anyone has placed Century Station into the context of Rifts and what they did with it?

I have not, but now I want to!
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Jefffar wrote:Hello all. I was recalling the other day that Kevin has claimed that Heroes Unlimited earth is the past of Rifts Earth.

I don't think I have ever heard this before. BTS has been said to be the past of Rifts (so it goes BTS, Chaos Earth, Rifts) with the story of people like Victor Lazlo. In WB 4: Africa when VL meets the dragon Lo Fung he gets actual proof that he is in the future and not an alternate world.

As far as I know there is no mention of super beings like we see in HU in any of the Rifts history we see. All the supers we do see are specifically stated as coming from another dimension.

Jefffar wrote:So logically, that would mean that Century Station was a part of the past of Rifts Earth. Now I doubt it did well during the apocalypse, what with the coastal location and the presence of at least one nexus in town IIRC but New York has similar problems and still sort of exists on Rifts Earth.

Century Station does not have a specific location so if you use it in HU or Rifts you can put it where you want. The West coast is mostly empty and the coastline is largely intact so that can be a good location for it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Warshield73 wrote:
Jefffar wrote:Hello all. I was recalling the other day that Kevin has claimed that Heroes Unlimited earth is the past of Rifts Earth.

I don't think I have ever heard this before. BTS has been said to be the past of Rifts (so it goes BTS, Chaos Earth, Rifts) with the story of people like Victor Lazlo. In WB 4: Africa when VL meets the dragon Lo Fung he gets actual proof that he is in the future and not an alternate world.

As far as I know there is no mention of super beings like we see in HU in any of the Rifts history we see. All the supers we do see are specifically stated as coming from another dimension.

Dimension book 7 : Megaverse builder specifically states that HU is a separate universe. pg 66 through 67. Tolkien actively tried to recruit superheros and super villains from there during the war with the Coalition, they named it "heroes earth". the dimension has a stronger dimensional fabric than rifts earth, and a universal energy matrix.

it was the only "alternate earth" fully addressed in the book.. the other pre-existing entries were Palladium Fantasy, phase world, and wormwood, all of which were already established as separate realities from rifts earth prior to the printing of DB7, and mention in the GM notes that Tolkien had located Systems Failure Earth right as the war started up.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Warshield73 wrote:Century Station does not have a specific location so if you use it in HU or Rifts you can put it where you want. The West coast is mostly empty and the coastline is largely intact so that can be a good location for it.

It's definitely coastaland has an offshore prison island, sounds kinda San Francisco-esque in that context. But the map clearly has the water approach to the east and the explanation of the name of Gramercy Island implies it's the first point of land visible after a long ocean voyage. That would suggest the Atlantic coast.

Given how exposed it would have been to the fury of the Atlantic during the cataclysm, id' be pretty easy to say that nobody has found it yet due to the level of devastation it experienced. Or we could flip the map 180 to put it on the west cost and sa that it's part of the territory left unexplored.

What would you have left? Nothing? Badly damaged ruins that may contain secrets, a small community descended from the survivors (and likely super powered)...

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

So logically, that would mean that Century Station was a part of the past of Rifts Earth. Now I doubt it did well during the apocalypse, what with the coastal location and the presence of at least one nexus in town IIRC but New York has similar problems and still sort of exists on Rifts Earth.

While I am not up on the HU setting, isn't there a small blurb somewhere about a community of Super Powered beings either on the West Coast or in Europe (IIRC)... Found it. RCB1r pg43 "Recent rumors coming out of France suggest there may be an entire cadre or city of superhumans, but this has not been confirmed."

So Century Station could be in French territory.

Then again the location on HU-Earth might not matter, something with the GC might have shifted its location (D-Shifting) or it might be a Tritonia (WB7) clone with a different purpose.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Jefffar wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:Century Station does not have a specific location so if you use it in HU or Rifts you can put it where you want. The West coast is mostly empty and the coastline is largely intact so that can be a good location for it.

It's definitely coastaland has an offshore prison island, sounds kinda San Francisco-esque in that context. But the map clearly has the water approach to the east and the explanation of the name of Gramercy Island implies it's the first point of land visible after a long ocean voyage. That would suggest the Atlantic coast.

Given how exposed it would have been to the fury of the Atlantic during the cataclysm, id' be pretty easy to say that nobody has found it yet due to the level of devastation it experienced. Or we could flip the map 180 to put it on the west cost and sa that it's part of the territory left unexplored.

What would you have left? Nothing? Badly damaged ruins that may contain secrets, a small community descended from the survivors (and likely super powered)...

To me the maps always made it look like the west coast and certainly the history of the area is more west coast than east but it can be anywhere including the Gulf or even the Great Lakes but those too would require some adjustment especially to the coastal map and the history.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

dragonfett wrote:Where would it be, geographically?

Century Station is along the coast somewhere as part of the setting for the HU game.

As such, if the setting for the HU game turned into the setting for the Rifts game, Cent.Station would of been: Washed away by the tsunamis caused by the earthquakes or the reemergence of the island continent of Atlantis, Inundated/flooded by the sea level rise that occurred world wide.

So...if in the CE time period it is most likely that the city is much like New York (most likely without the paranormal phenomena.)

....if in the CS time period it is most likely ether totally abandoned or a new city is built inland of the org. city site. (If rebuilt) With a population that uses the random psionics table to see if the char of the linage from that city would have super abilities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Arcanuum
Newb

Unread post by Arcanuum »

Well assuming Century Station was made into an M.D.C. city there would be at least some of the city left.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Arcanuum wrote:Well assuming Century Station was made into an M.D.C. city there would be at least some of the city left.

That is a big assumption.
Most building codes only cover new construction, and the MDC stuff within the GA tech base was mostly in military hardware.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Arcanuum wrote:Well assuming Century Station was made into an M.D.C. city there would be at least some of the city left.

Most building codes only cover new construction, and the MDC stuff within the GA tech base was mostly in military hardware.

I couldn't find the thread but there was a discussion, had to be more than a year ago, where we discussed how much of a city like NY or LA would be MDC vs SDC and IIRC one of the points that came up is that with as light and strong as MDC is you would at least see old buildings being retrofitted with some MDC materials.

This has always been one of my problems with descriptions of ruined cities like Dallas. How much is still standing and is it all SDC or their some MDC.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Warshield73 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I couldn't find the thread but there was a discussion, had to be more than a year ago, where we discussed how much of a city like NY or LA would be MDC vs SDC and IIRC one of the points that came up is that with as light and strong as MDC is you would at least see old buildings being retrofitted with some MDC materials.

This has always been one of my problems with descriptions of ruined cities like Dallas. How much is still standing and is it all SDC or their some MDC.

I think you can use Madhaven as an example. IIRC, some of the ruins were MDC structures. As for how many cities across the US would have such ruins, NY, LA, DC, and maybe San Fran would be the most likely cities with them, with decreasing amounts the further away from major coastal cities you get. This is of course excluding military bases as those to would have some structures made out of MDC materials.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

given the level of destruction caused by the rifts tearing open the way they did, i wouldn't exactly doubt they could total a fully MDC-city like the arcologies the coalition is building. very few buildings are designed to withstand something uprooting them and slamming them down on their side, for example....
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Warshield73 wrote:I don't think I have ever heard this before. BTS has been said to be the past of Rifts (so it goes BTS, Chaos Earth, Rifts) with the story of people like Victor Lazlo. In WB 4: Africa when VL meets the dragon Lo Fung he gets actual proof that he is in the future and not an alternate world.

The once-permitted and encouraged idea of BTS being the past seems to have been abandoned to avoid problems with hopping back and forth between the two, although "going back in time is hard" really helps as an explanation to why Vic hasn't managed to check back home.

It might just be that VL and LF think they are each other's friends (but actually are not) because Earth's past is SO incredibly similar to BTS as to be nigh-indistinguishable.

In which case: the VL who vanished in Rifts' past is still unaccounted for, and the Lo Fung of BTS is still back there, and has only been pining for his buddy for decades rather than centuries.

I think the strong implication is this was Rifts' past:

1) a very BTSish era
2) a very NBish era
3) a very HUish era
4) Chaos Earth (a very ATBish era, with BTS/NB/HU all being TMNTish)

I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually make CE an alternate dimension too, to allow hopping.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Beast wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I think you can use Madhaven as an example. IIRC, some of the ruins were MDC structures. As for how many cities across the US would have such ruins, NY, LA, DC, and maybe San Fran would be the most likely cities with them, with decreasing amounts the further away from major coastal cities you get. This is of course excluding military bases as those to would have some structures made out of MDC materials.

Look at what happened to new york.....

Even if the buildings are retrofitted with MDC structural reinforcements that doesn't change the building as a whole very much. To change over to total MDC structural members takes taking the whole building down and rebuilding. And in a consumer economy that isn't going to happen except for two things: the city telling the owner they can't used the building 'as is' and it's will be cheaper to take it down and rebuild, Or, the insurance companies will refuse to insure the building as is and it is cheaper to take it down and rebuild.

Remember, you have to factor many things into a postulation about what would happen in the future. Just because they 'have the technology' doesn't mean they are going to 'use the technology'. As I alluded to in my other post.

example from the past: most axes (before the blast furnaces were used to make steel) had a mild steel body with a bitt of high carbon steel for the cutting edge. Why? because it was cheaper to do it that way back then. They didn't change this till after cheep high carbon steel was on the market.

Example from media: from the Dark Knight batman movies: Wayne Ind. made a built proof armor, but the DOD didn't buy it because it cost too much.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Example from media: from the Dark Knight batman movies: Wayne Ind. made a built proof armor, but the DOD didn't buy it because it cost too much.

per the actual dialog of the scene, said armor wasn't bullet proof. "bulletproof?" "anything but a straight shot" was the line.. when current military body armor vests are rated to stop strait angle shots of anything short of heavy machine gun rounds.
i think the DOD made a good call there.. their armor suit cost something like two hundreds times what a set of Interceptor Multi-Threat Body Armor (covering chest, groin, upper legs, and arms) would cost, and provided far less protection. (interceptor being a NIJ Level III rating, which means it'll stop pistol rounds cold and rifle rounds up to 7.62x51mm NATO) while the more expensive Waynetech suit likely wouldn't have exceeded NIJ level I (good against .22LR and .380 ACP)

and as far as buildings go.. while you wouldn't refit older buildings with much MD stuff, new builds would naturally employ the MD structural materials for safety. and most modern buildings are not designed to stand for more than a few decades before they're extensively rebuilt. it is likely that a large chunk of a city would be made of MD reinforced buildings just through normal urban construction cycles.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Example from media: from the Dark Knight batman movies: Wayne Ind. made a built proof armor, but the DOD didn't buy it because it cost too much.

per the actual dialog of the scene, said armor wasn't bullet proof. "bulletproof?" "anything but a straight shot" was the line.. when current military body armor vests are rated to stop strait angle shots of anything short of heavy machine gun rounds.
i think the DOD made a good call there.. their armor suit cost something like two hundreds times what a set of Interceptor Multi-Threat Body Armor (covering chest, groin, upper legs, and arms) would cost, and provided far less protection. (interceptor being a NIJ Level III rating, which means it'll stop pistol rounds cold and rifle rounds up to 7.62x51mm NATO) while the more expensive Waynetech suit likely wouldn't have exceeded NIJ level I (good against .22LR and .380 ACP)

i believe the implication was it stopped anything without compromising the armor integrity as long as it wasn't a straight shot. which is still not a good thing at that cost but is still much more reasonable. the average moviegoer isn't terribly well versed in how modern armor works anyways, you have to remember to filter through that.

glitterboy2098 wrote:and as far as buildings go.. while you wouldn't refit older buildings with much MD stuff, new builds would naturally employ the MD structural materials for safety. and most modern buildings are not designed to stand for more than a few decades before they're extensively rebuilt. it is likely that a large chunk of a city would be made of MD reinforced buildings just through normal urban construction cycles.

any sort of civic reinforcement wouldn't protect the rest of the building from the coming of the rifts, it's not like they replace much of the building retrofitting them for stability. the cost versus the expected amount of protection it needs to provide means it's unlikely a meaningful part of any building would be reinforced significantly. 20 MDC or so slapped on the frame would be enough to hold a building up through earthquakes easily, but when the rifts hit they'd get shattered in a hurry. never underestimate the budget's power.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The example was of an expensive tech that wasn't used by the prospective customer because it was too expensive, to highlight that not all buildings in the 'golden age' would be MDC, just because there was MDC tech then.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Do you have a source, because that would be helpful. I've heard it claimed that Kevin has Claimed that, but I've also heard it claimed it was BtS, and also that it wasn't directly either, so I don't know if Kevin actually claimed any of them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Do you have a source, because that would be helpful. I've heard it claimed that Kevin has Claimed that, but I've also heard it claimed it was BtS, and also that it wasn't directly either, so I don't know if Kevin actually claimed any of them.

Its been a while since I've seen it, but I believe it was either in an early rite (1 to 6) or in the original Conversion Book.

Of note KLS and Cyberworks both exist in the HU-verse but are not mentioned in Ninjas and Superspies, Nightbane or Beyond the Supernatural.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Jefffar wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Its been a while since I've seen it, but I believe it was either in an early rite (1 to 6) or in the original Conversion Book.

Of note KLS and Cyberworks both exist in the HU-verse but are not mentioned in Ninjas and Superspies, Nightbane or Beyond the Supernatural.

I'm pretty sure it was in a Rifter as well. I think the only thing in the CB1 that mentioned any links was that BTS could be viewed as Rifts' past.

Personally though I always went with:
PFRPG - own setting
Robotech led to Southern Cross led to Invid Invasion/Sentinels
BTS led to Rifts (with dimension books being their own separate thing)
Ninjas & Superspies and Mystic China - own setting
TMNT led to ATB
Heroes Unlimited led to Century Station (with the AU setting taking place in the same galaxy, but not directly impacting HU until the events in CS)
Nightbane - own setting
Manhunters - own setting
Mechanoids Trilogy - own setting
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I want to point out that Mystic China was intended to be a sourcebook for Beyond the Supernatural as well as Ninjas and Superspies. It's designed so that you can run both simultaneously together.

Unlike say, Skraypers or After The Bomb which just allow you to use them in one of two different core settings.

Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

I think building are getting a little short changed. There's some that have lasted centuries while some more modern ones didn't last a few decades. There's also some built to take a lot of damage. Even withstanding nuclear blasts. They're not made of MDC materials but enough SDC can equal MDC. I do think when MDC materials became available they would have been used in new construction. They also would have been applied in any upgrades and retrofits to make SDC structures safer but I don't think that because its available buildings will be torn down and replaced. That'd be very expensive.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sambot wrote:I think building are getting a little short changed. There's some that have lasted centuries while some more modern ones didn't last a few decades. There's also some built to take a lot of damage. Even withstanding nuclear blasts. They're not made of MDC materials but enough SDC can equal MDC.

That show Life After People talked about this a lot in the episodes I saw. Anything built from the '80's on seems to pretty much crumble to dust if you look at it wrong while some building built in the '40's or '50's will last as much as a century without human upkeep.

Sambot wrote:I do think when MDC materials became available they would have been used in new construction. They also would have been applied in any upgrades and retrofits to make SDC structures safer but I don't think that because its available buildings will be torn down and replaced. That'd be very expensive.

I have always believed this because I took my students to some big thing at the convention center for science and engineering and one of the displays showed how if they could make super strong and super light materials to work (basically MDC) you could manufacture and build much faster. The example they showed was a highway overpass being built in days instead of months.

This kind of time savings would drive use of these materials all over the place during the Golden Age, IMHO.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Jefffar wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

So it can be taken (at least in the PB games) that a rising of magic levels is first expressed with a rise of super-powered individuals.

Then the question would be....where are all the power-powered individuals that should be in the setting for rifts if you follow that line of thinking.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Maybe a lot of those D-bee races that don't know where they come from aren't really from another dimension at all.

Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Jefffar wrote:Maybe a lot of those D-bee races that don't know where they come from aren't really from another dimension at all.

In other words, some mutations eventually bred true. Interesting thought.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Return to “Rifts®”