TW Mystic Generator - whats the limit?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

TW Mystic Generator - whats the limit?

Unread post by slade2501 »

In the 1st edition, it lists a Mystic Generator that can supply a small town of electrical power for a month. This seems like an excellent hand wave allowing even small communities to have basic power, lights, water pumps, etc.

But as characters or GMs, what else could we use it for?

Can we build E-clip chargers? Electric vehicle/power armor chargers? Can we mount one on an electric vehicle for constant power? Build and sell them to communities with any kind of magic user or psychic for fun and profit?

Gimme your wildest ideas!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: TW Mystic Generator - whats the limit?

Unread post by Orin J. »

i'm here to be a killjoy! given the sheer level of tech discrepancy in Rifts, it's probably worth pointing out a "small town" probably doesn't have most of the houses wired like a modern city does, so i wouldn't put it up in the "micro nuclear plant" levels of power. it's also a big electrical generator, which means the large one is probably dang near the size of a car. this is an altered electrical generator after all, and those get large fast. there's no weight listed because you don't generally move generators unless they're expressly for moving around and this seems to be intended that you built it and then install it like most other generators.

also the topaz required would likely be tricky to acquire. sure it's worth 10k a rod in terms of mass, but finding foot-long chunks of topaz is probably a LOT harder than that (unless elmentals or warlocks or something are able to naturally mash them into a wad or something. is there a "create semiprecious stone" spell?) and would be worth several times the cost so long as it's solid.

charge e-clips? maybe slowly. charge power armors? maybe the ones that run off electrical batteries, those act lie e-clips. mount one on a vehicle for constant power?....i mean if you're actively ignoring the mush smaller TK-engine listed just over the mystic generator and you're willing to waste a WHOLE LOT of space and weight on it, i guess?

really the best use of it is that it has no emissions and needs no fuel outside of the spells cast at it. you need power in a secret location? don't want to attract the attention that comes with burning fossil fuels or visible solar or wind panels? behold! magic has an answer.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

It IS a great lair power supply. The text says that the medium one can run an office building, so I'm guessing the large one is comparable to a small substation.

One solution to the size of topaz rods would be a stone master, who can fuse chunks to the right length and size. that will probably cost some tho.....

Topaz is found in the US naturally, and most magic filled areas would have outside sources m stuff, says the Book of magic.

I wouldnt make it easy, but the book says 100,000 credits to get it done. thats cheaper than 65 million for a black market e-clip charger eh?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Oh, you can charge an E-clip with a TW mystic Generator: you can charge an E-Clip with a Hand Crank--it all depends on how long it takes :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

slade2501 wrote:It IS a great lair power supply. The text says that the medium one can run an office building, so I'm guessing the large one is comparable to a small substation.

One solution to the size of topaz rods would be a stone master, who can fuse chunks to the right length and size. that will probably cost some tho.....

Topaz is found in the US naturally, and most magic filled areas would have outside sources m stuff, says the Book of magic.

I wouldnt make it easy, but the book says 100,000 credits to get it done. thats cheaper than 65 million for a black market e-clip charger eh?

you've still got to buy the actual charging parts, so that's probably some overhead. also i think most of the 65mil is that's a suitcase sized atomic reactor?...kinda remember there being cheaper options.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

WARNING! This post if Full of Blunt Truths Rifts Fan-Boy&Girls Might Find Shocking

There are a whole carp-load of TW magic items in the random loot lists.

*plugs in the E-clip Charger & electric car charger into the power grid supplied by a TW power generator*
There are already Ley Line magic vehicles. Wing boards RMB/FoM, Iron TW trains in New West, and magic ATVs in FoM.

Search this site for ' The White Rabbit's Pocket Watch' for of a 'real' TW device.
(ie: something that is a actually blending of tech and magic, instead of magic items made out of tech bits and parts.)

TW devise....PPE clip adaptor: this device is put onto a Energy weapon so it can be powered by magic via a PPE clip. (note: Each GM gets to decide what the ratio between PPE and number of shots the adapter provides.)
Now as an extra option that could be built into the device: a PPE user can pump PPE into the adaptor to power the e-weapon.

Magic item built with tech bits. *points at all the weapons as examples of TW stuff in the RMB, RUE, FoM1, & RBoM*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”