Questions Regarding Phoenixi

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nuristas
Explorer

Questions Regarding Phoenixi

Unread post by Nuristas »

Greetings,

I have several questions:

1/ Are Phoenixi lesser supernatural creatures? (I am tempted to say yes since creatures such as Lanotaur are confirmed to be lesser supernatural creatures)
2/ How often can the ability burst into flames be used since there seems to be no limit written?

For those who need to look them up Phoenixi can be found in Rifts Africa page 61

Thank you for your feedback.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Questions Regarding Phoenixi

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Maybe include what book they are in and the page.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

In that Phoenixi are Creatures of Magic I'd say they're not subject to things like the Summon Lesser Being ritual, but could be targeted by a Summoner's Summon Pawn circle. The Burst into Flame ability can be turned on and off as needed, is selective in what is set alight, and frankly if I were a Phoenixi would only turn it off when there was a need for darkness. I could see using some sort of limit on the MDC/SDC it provides (if in Rifts or Fantasy, repectively), just to prevent it being renewed continuously.

I didn't know of Lanotaur being confirmed as lesser supernatural creatures. I'd love to read it if a source is handy.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Maybe include what book they are in and the page.

Nuristas wrote:Greetings,

I have several questions:

1/ Are Phoenixi lesser supernatural creatures? (I am tempted to say yes since creatures such as Lanotaur are confirmed to be lesser supernatural creatures)
2/ How often can the ability burst into flames be used since there seems to be no limit written?

For those who need to look them up Phoenixi can be found in Rifts Africa page 61

Thank you for your feedback.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

sorry. I usually put that 1st
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nuristas
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:sorry. I usually put that 1st

not an issue.
Nuristas
Explorer

Curbludgeon wrote:In that Phoenixi are Creatures of Magic I'd say they're not subject to things like the Summon Lesser Being ritual, but could be targeted by a Summoner's Summon Pawn circle. The Burst into Flame ability can be turned on and off as needed, is selective in what is set alight, and frankly if I were a Phoenixi would only turn it off when there was a need for darkness. I could see using some sort of limit on the MDC/SDC it provides (if in Rifts or Fantasy, repectively), just to prevent it being renewed continuously.

I didn't know of Lanotaur being confirmed as lesser supernatural creatures. I'd love to read it if a source is handy.

Rifter 15 has the spell soul leech where you drain the power from a lesser supernatural creature.
In the example of the evil rifter (castellan) it is mentioned it is draining the power from a lanotaur with Soul Leech.

Hence why I deduced that a Lanotaur is a lesser supernatural creature.

Would be great to have a list of them cause atm, it seems like so much... ask your GM how he sees a specific creature if it's not specified.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I had never really looked much at that article. It's fun! It does have the same problem found with the Tolkeen Artifact Hunter in DB7, where Shifter variants have much lower starting PPE than the RUE Shifter, but edition tweaks are to be expected. I would note, though, that the Specialized Shifters article is listed as optional, and some people get really particular about that. Additionally, the description of Lanotaur in WB30 explicitly says they're not supernatural.
WB30 pg. 115 wrote:For a long time, many people believed the Lanotaur were, themselves, supernatural beings, but furher observations and study reveal otherwise. Truth is, Lanotaur are flesh and blood D-Bees
As for a definitive list of beings, supernatural or otherwise, I agree that it would be nice. I've off-and-on been compiling multiple lists for things like all the various insect-themed species/demons/spells, and it's easy to lose motivation just from all the flipping between sources and inconsistent descriptions.
Nuristas
Explorer

Curbludgeon wrote:I had never really looked much at that article. It's fun! It does have the same problem found with the Tolkeen Artifact Hunter in DB7, where Shifter variants have much lower starting PPE than the RUE Shifter, but edition tweaks are to be expected. I would note, though, that the Specialized Shifters article is listed as optional, and some people get really particular about that. Additionally, the description of Lanotaur in WB30 explicitly says they're not supernatural.
WB30 pg. 115 wrote:For a long time, many people believed the Lanotaur were, themselves, supernatural beings, but furher observations and study reveal otherwise. Truth is, Lanotaur are flesh and blood D-Bees
As for a definitive list of beings, supernatural or otherwise, I agree that it would be nice. I've off-and-on been compiling multiple lists for things like all the various insect-themed species/demons/spells, and it's easy to lose motivation just from all the flipping between sources and inconsistent descriptions.

Thanks for the information. I don't own that book (yet). I'll put it on the list of purchases at the store next time I'm ordering.
I'm just looking for a a lesser supernatural being to drain for MDC for a player in the group. She needs more MDC at this point in time so looking into that.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

It looks to me based on the discriptions that Pheonixi are more likely creatures of magic than supernatural beings.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®”