Robot Combat Basic: no dodge?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Robot Combat Basic: no dodge?

Unread post by slade2501 »

In the Ultimate Rifts rulebook, basic robot combat skill allows for dodge. Do you agree? I always liked the original rule that basic skill down not allow dodging, like the difference between a student driver and a professional stunt driver.
For me, Basic skill still means no dodge.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Robot Combat Basic: no dodge?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You're free to houserule as you want: but I see no problem with allowing basic to have a Dodge. Remember the RUE is a more complete overhaul of the system than just robot combat: in general Combat in Rifts is much deadlier, weapons have much higher average damages than they used to, missile volley's have gotten bigger, but most Robots remain with laughably tiny MDC totals compared to their size, often having barely more than available power armor. They had to start teaching everyone how to dodge because as weapon damages kept going up, all the pilots who didn't know how to dodge kept dying.

All houseruling that "robot combat basic can't dodge" would do is ensure nobody ever takes basic.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I prefer the new rules but truthfully I never treated this as no dodge allowed, I treated it as no additional bonus right from the beginning but I think that might have been due to the influence of 1e Robotech.

To me it never made sense that I could fire weapons, punch, parry, roll with punch but I can't even attempt to dodge. To use your analogy a student driver can still try to avoid an on coming car, they are just not as good at it as a pro.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

your not wrong. I personally think that the lethality of Rifts is a built in "Rocks fall, your all dead" for players who try to munchkin or combat monster. Your right, you have to play smart or die. But then also is seems too much like an instant OP to get into a 20ft tall multi ton robot monster and do dance moves without significant training.
That robot can take a few hits before the player might escape or use cover. Hell if its just infantry he can pick them up and throw them to end the fight. If he has any heavy weaponry, those infantry are suicidal to stay and fight.

Its more for me of a practical and realistic rule. While I love the rule of cool, if its TOO crazy people will feel cheated by an easy victory or rule abuse. In my campaigns, the player's enemies are real people: never suicidal unless called for, willing to retreat or surrender if the situation calls for it, willing to take prisoners unless driven mad, etc.

Also yes the very small MDC of some robots is kinda problematic these days, both mechanically and in a story stand point. But then I remind myself that 360 MDC main body for a 16ft robot isn't too bad (compared to a soldier with 60mdc body armor), and the pilot should be dodging his ass off or well supported by friends with their own weapons.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

I had the very same thought when reading those rules. Was it no BONIS to dodge, or NO dodge, I thought.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

slade2501 wrote:your not wrong. I personally think that the lethality of Rifts is a built in "Rocks fall, your all dead" for players who try to munchkin or combat monster. Your right, you have to play smart or die. But then also is seems too much like an instant OP to get into a 20ft tall multi ton robot monster and do dance moves without significant training.
That robot can take a few hits before the player might escape or use cover. Hell if its just infantry he can pick them up and throw them to end the fight. If he has any heavy weaponry, those infantry are suicidal to stay and fight.

Its more for me of a practical and realistic rule. While I love the rule of cool, if its TOO crazy people will feel cheated by an easy victory or rule abuse. In my campaigns, the player's enemies are real people: never suicidal unless called for, willing to retreat or surrender if the situation calls for it, willing to take prisoners unless driven mad, etc.

Also yes the very small MDC of some robots is kinda problematic these days, both mechanically and in a story stand point. But then I remind myself that 360 MDC main body for a 16ft robot isn't too bad (compared to a soldier with 60mdc body armor), and the pilot should be dodging his ass off or well supported by friends with their own weapons.

But is it too instant? Or rather, what is one skill "Worth". Medical Doctor is a skill that presumably indicates years of study and then years more of guided practice: it's not instant. But you can also learn how to swim in your spare time over one summer. The real problem is that Palladium's skill system gives no thought at all as to how much time and effort is required to learn a skill, vs. what the skill is worth mechanically: all skill selections take the same 1 slot with a bare handful of expections.

But my larger point is: if Robot Combat Basic means you can't dodge or fight well, nobody would keep putting out people with robot combat basic, because either they stop doing that, or they lose the war and get replaced by smarter generals.

A better rule, IMHO, is to elimate Robot Combat Basic entirely and just say Robot Combat takes two skills to learn with generic elite bonus's, and then let them spend a third slot specalizing in a particular line of robots or power armor as they wish. But if you can't fight well with a robot: nobody's going to let you pilot the multi-million dollar war machine. too expensive to give to amatures who can't avoid getting it blown up by dodging, don't you think?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i've always applied the dodge penalty for modern ranged weapons and required a sensory systems roll at the start of each combat round with the rate of failure dictating the odds someone's attack goes unnoticed because you're distracted myself, so generally the best dodging system for a robot to me has been "shoot them first".
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:i've always applied the dodge penalty for modern ranged weapons and required a sensory systems roll at the start of each combat round with the rate of failure dictating the odds someone's attack goes unnoticed because you're distracted myself, so generally the best dodging system for a robot to me has been "shoot them first".

But the dodge penalty only applys at ranges of 50 feet or less. Pretty common for adventuers on foot, but it's really hard to get that close to a giant robot without it shooting you first, so most of the time the penalty to dodge doesn't apply to robots as Giant robot fights rarely occur within 50 feet.

Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:i've always applied the dodge penalty for modern ranged weapons and required a sensory systems roll at the start of each combat round with the rate of failure dictating the odds someone's attack goes unnoticed because you're distracted myself, so generally the best dodging system for a robot to me has been "shoot them first".

But the dodge penalty only applys at ranges of 50 feet or less. Pretty common for adventuers on foot, but it's really hard to get that close to a giant robot without it shooting you first, so most of the time the penalty to dodge doesn't apply to robots as Giant robot fights rarely occur within 50 feet.

sorry, meant the ones in the conversion book. forgot there were others (and with this system, can you blame me?). the idea that a laser is any easier to dodge at range is a little. silly to me anyways
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

sorry, meant the ones in the conversion book. forgot there were others (and with this system, can you blame me?). the idea that a laser is any easier to dodge at range is a little. silly to me anyways

can you list a page number then? I just checked my copy of Conversion book one and it did have a section of dodging modern energy weapons, it said to think of it as a combination of moving and also seeing where they are aiming and moving out of the way before the laser fires, and didn't assign any penalty I could see.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

In contrast I think I remember a bonus to strike when using robots at close ranges...

Return to “Rifts®”