Exact Ranges

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Exact Ranges

Unread post by slade the sniper »

How often does exact ranges of the weapons ever become an issue in combat in games you have run?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Exact Ranges

Unread post by Orin J. »

never, but that's because my group loves to play their campaigns 1:in urban areas and 2: with the paranoida of a pedophile next door to the pentagon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Usually doesn't come up.
Sometimes it does... and that's when it's handy to know that you can fire a weapon up to 30% (IIRC) past its normal range, if you take a penalty.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Groups I've played with used the rules from the CoMW book when this issue came up. Only really ever came up in my first group though.
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

Your asking about "effective range", the range at which a human can fire the weapon and reliably hit a target. A laser rifle with 2000ft range, means that the beam will reach 2000ft before it looses its effectiveness, not that a human can hit a target 2000ft away. Effective range would rather be up to 500ft, depending on the skill of the shooter.

Contrary to movies and popular belief, it is rather hard to shoot long range. It requires skill, patience and very controlled circumstances. An Olympic shooting range for Biathlon is only 50 meters or 160ft, with rifles. 50 meters with a pistol, held at arms length is ordinarily a moderately difficult shot.

Here is a great article about police training and ranged accuracy: https://www.policeone.com/police-traine ... EaCyIUu2o/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

For me range is usually only comes in in Rifts with flying power armors. It is always a factor in Phase World but that is very different.

slade2501 wrote:Your asking about "effective range", the range at which a human can fire the weapon and reliably hit a target. A laser rifle with 2000ft range, means that the beam will reach 2000ft before it looses its effectiveness, not that a human can hit a target 2000ft away. Effective range would rather be up to 500ft, depending on the skill of the shooter.

Contrary to movies and popular belief, it is rather hard to shoot long range. It requires skill, patience and very controlled circumstances. An Olympic shooting range for Biathlon is only 50 meters or 160ft, with rifles. 50 meters with a pistol, held at arms length is ordinarily a moderately difficult shot.

Here is a great article about police training and ranged accuracy: https://www.policeone.com/police-traine ... EaCyIUu2o/

I agree with most of this but remember a lot of these principals would not apply to a speed of light weapon with no drop that is unaffected by wind. Even a rail gun at close range would be moving with such speed that it would function differently than a modern firearm.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

slade2501 wrote:Your asking about "effective range", the range at which a human can fire the weapon and reliably hit a target. A laser rifle with 2000ft range, means that the beam will reach 2000ft before it looses its effectiveness, not that a human can hit a target 2000ft away.

Not in Palladium.

I always thought they should address that, like with a "-1 to strike per 100'" rule or something.
Then again, Palladium doesn't differentiate in target size either, except for VERY small targets. That thing you're shooting at that's 2000' away might be the size of an angry skyscraper.
So some rules addressing that might be good as well.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Killer Cyborg wrote:I always thought they should address that, like with a "-1 to strike per 100'" rule or something.

I think it was somewhere around -1 per additional 30 or 40 ft in RMB before they changed it to the 30% extra rule in RUE?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I always thought they should address that, like with a "-1 to strike per 100'" rule or something.

I think it was somewhere around -1 per additional 30 or 40 ft in RMB before they changed it to the 30% extra rule in RUE?

Let me know if you have a page number for the RMB rule you remember.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

243, was -4 per 25 ft extra and no WP skill bonus

I think this and other rules (like reloading, "almost all modern weapons") were intended for all conventional weapons but the REVOLVERS heading somehow snuck atop it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

243, was -4 per 25 ft extra and no WP skill bonus

I think this and other rules (like reloading, "almost all modern weapons") were intended for all conventional weapons but the REVOLVERS heading somehow snuck atop it.

I agree; they stuck that stuff in the wrong place.

Anyway, that's a decent rule for firing beyond effective range, but I was thinking of something like that that would include effective range.
Because whether or not your weapon fires 2000', it's still harder to hit a target that's 300' away than 30' away.

I wonder how a flat -1 to strike per 50' would work?
-2 to strike at 100' away, but that'd be compensated by Aiming at lower ranges.
At farther ranges... maybe remove the penalties for somebody using the Sniper skill or a scope?

Return to “Rifts®”