should the CS have access to Negate Magic ? how NM works ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

should the CS have access to Negate Magic ? how NM works ?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 37 of the Rifts Conversion Book (published prior to World Book 12: Psyscape) in the right column under the 2nd paragraph for the Nega-psychic (from Beyond the Supernatural) mentioned NPs had "developed the power to negate magic by concentrating (same as the negate magic spell)"

I think "same" refers to the effect, but not necessarily how it is used. It's a "power" so they probably can't teach the spell to others like a LLW/Shifter who knew the NM spell.

Furthermore I don't even think it's like a mystic where they're expected to chant magic words. Or maybe there's similar expectations of a mantra like "this isn't real!"? It doesn't seem unreasonable, although "by concentrating" doesn't really sound like it's needed.

Underseas did introduce silent casting (to allow underwater where you don't want to open your mouth, you're holding your breath) so perhaps when that came around it would make sense to have BTS-imported Negas use mantras for standard casting times nd doubled casting times for silent concentration-only usage?

CB37 said that BTS should be considered Rifts Earth ~100 years before the eruptions of the ley lines. "similar but alternate dimension" is a 1-sentence alternative squirreled in at the end before the design note.

Since the COTR happened in 2098 that means BTS is approximately 1998 I guess, about a decade prior to nightbane.

I realize subsequent books have shifted that stance on BTS but at the time, the interpretation seems to be that guys from BTS could be viewed as time-travelers from the same dimension (as Victor Lazlo thought he was, and which makes more sense for him considering his dragon buddy) which might make the CS friendly to using them.

Pre-Psyscape this would be the closest the CS would have to psychics who could neutralize spells, if we assume they might be friendly to allowing BTS imports as citizens, perhaps considering them rescued humans from the past and not D-Bees? Otherwise you're limited to classic psi like "Sense Magic" which couldn't do much to directly interfere with spell effects.

WB12p57 says that there were Nega-Psychics present BEFORE the Coming of the Rifts and distinguishes the "Nega-Psychic of Rifts Earth") which perhaps we could nickname (NORE) as having a different outlook.

For that reason, perhaps the native Negas born in the CS should be different and maybe lack some of the capacities of the classic ones?

Pg 58's "Disrupt Magic" ability describes disrupting a ritual or casting, to "prevent the spell from being successfully cast" implying once casting is done the Nega can't do anything. This is a HUGE limitation, and ESPECIALLY huge as of RUE where spells can now be cast in even less time, giving a smaller window of intervention. The Nullifier's "Interference" ability (pg 66) suffers the same problem (must be done during casting, not after) though it's at least automatic against stuff they're targeted with.

This limitation does not exist with having an equivalent of the "Negate Magic" spell. This can be done AFTER a spell is cast, so the CS having access to this would be a HUGE gamechanger. As would the THREE other spell-emulating powers that BTS-imports also get (Dispel Magic Barriers, Detect Concealment, Turn Dead)

CBrevised59 doesn't seem to have changed anything from CB37 and this variant of nega-psychics being swallowed in to the CS would be super useful if used right.

It gives alternatives to "the Vanguard helped" for dealing with problems like spamming magic pigeons to cloud Psi-Hound senses, instead it might just be a bunch of BTS-originated Nega-Psychics disbelieving in those pigeons and them vanishing.

It also allows the CS more flexibility in stopping already-cast magic. If you have mages teleporting in with already-activated Impervious to Energy for example, a "World Nega" can't do anything, while a "Beyond Nega" could use his NM power to possible lower the ITE spell while the CS are charging their lasers.

This also gives me cause to example the spell Negate Magic because I realize I'm not entirely sure how it works. Originally on RMBp181 (pg 123 of BOM, pg 216 of RUE) this 8th level spell could be put on a talisman to counteract magical effects.

You "roll a saving throw" and a "successful save against the magic used" the influence is destroyed/negated/cancelled.

The part I'm confused about is who specifically is rolling the save and what bonuses are applied to it.

Given that "ritual magic has a greater chance of success" the implication seems to be that you roll against the spell strength of the person who cast Negate Magic. Since a Nega-Psychic has no spell strength bonus (and presumably cannot cast it as a ritual) I expect this power would be fixed at 12 for the BTS imports?

The part I don't get is: is it just a raw no-bonus save (the spell itself has no PE so no + vs magic) or if you can add the bonuses to save vs magic by whoever originally cast the spell.

If that were the case, a lot of questions arise, like would it be their bonus at the time they cast it, or their bonus at the time Negate Magic was cast?

Or should it be an entirely different thing like using the Spell Strength bonus as a bonus to save vs magic? If that were the case if https://palladiumbooks.com/index.php/re ... -questions is true and it works against magic tattoos then what bonus should they get?

For stuff like the effects of Techno-Wizard devices, that would potentially require weird stuff like knowing the save vs magic of the TW who made the item, making items made by higher-bonus TWs more valuable since they would be harder to negate. I wonder if in that case perhaps it might be the bonus of the user rather than the TW creator?

I'm sure this must be something people have asked about before but I can't recall if we got any answers in FAQs/Errata...

If we add the "+x to save vs magic" bonus of spellcasters to this D20 roll against the Spell Strength of 12/16 for Negate Magic then knowing "bonuses when" is important when taking into account spells that give bonuses.

For example I was recently reminded that the 7th level spell Invulnerability (RMB178/BOM116, not in RUE) gives +10 to save vs magic

1) if "bonuses at time of casting original spell" mattered, you might have a lot of mages casting Invulnerability on themselves prior to casting important long-duration spells to make them harder to negate.

2) if "bonuses at time Negate Magic is cast" mattered, you might have mages constantly keeping Invulnerability active on themselves to protect their ongoing spell effects that might be active abroad from being negated.

The 7th level spell Dispel Magic Barriers (merely costs 20 instead of 30 PPE too, and has a superior range of 100ft to 60ft) is also important to understand the mechanics of. DMB this text:
    The magic spell being attacked automatically gets a standard savings throw (12) as if it were a person.

This is interesting because here it's much clearer who is making the roll: the SPELL rather than the CASTER... and there's absolutely no mention at all of getting a bonus to the D20 roll.

If spells don't get the caster's bonuses against magic that's important to note since it would make negating much harder.

If that's the case though: should there be some ways of getting a bonus to make spells harder to negate by DMB?

One idea that occurred to me: the 5th level spell "Superhuman Strength" spell imparts a PE of 24 to "the character" (self or others by touch). For 30 seconds per level you enjoy the +5 to save vs magic which PE 24 gives, for 10 PPE. Potentially a better deal if you can't afford the 25 PPE for 15 seconds/level for Invulnerability.

If mages can't protect their spells by casting these on themselves, what if as a house rule we allowed mages to cast these spells on SPELLS (instead of characters) to allow spells to have a bonus to that savings throw they get against NM/DMB? It would be pretty hard to implement so if a caster really wanted to do it I don't see any problem. Thoughts?

Detect Concealment doesn't get a savings throw (all Concealment spells just fail) so I can't think of a defence there. That seems super-valuable for detecting contraband. Otherwise at best you have psi-hounds being all "something magic is in the area" unless they save vs magic to see it.

Turn Dead is a 2nd level spell (RMB170, BOM95, RUE201) would also be a really sweet ability. It might seem pointless for standard SDC skeletons (CS can just laser them) but it would matter a LOT for souped up ones (wearing MDC armor, Mystic Russia MDC bone, if mages enchant them with armor before sending them to attack) allowing "Beyond Negas" in CS employ to repel swarms of attackers.

That said I'm also unclear on how TD works. They "will not come back to 24 hours" but back to WHERE? They leave "the area", but what is the area?

I assumed "up to 60ft away" was the range from the caster to the skeleton, but might it also function like a 60ft radius around some location into which a skeleton can no longer voluntarily enter? If so, would that radius be centered on the caster, or centered on the various locations where the 1D6 skeletons were at the time the spell was cast?

Another interesting question for "Beyond Negas" using these powers: would they benefit from increased range/duration from proximal ley lines like with the spells, or would ley lines not affect them because they're just powers that work like magic?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: should the CS have access to Negate Magic ? how NM works

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nope, they shouldn't. It is beyond their anti-magic concept.
EDIT: this comment should be seen to answer the title of the topic, about if the CS should be able to use the negate magic spell.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Nope, they shouldn't. It is beyond their anti-magic concept.

Do we know explicitly that they would reject all "Beyond Negas" from the Conversion Book from living in their burbs or serving in their army though?

I'm not arguing that homegrown (psyscape style) nega-psychics should get this, mind you, only the rare "time travelers" from BTS who grew up thinking supernatural = fake.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

The CS would crap itself and execute any human from Pre-Rifts Earth. They would be dangerous to Prosek. They would take one look around and be like:

"So, you're Nazis. Evil villains from Earth's past. Also, you didn't make the SAMAS the US government did. You're all evil liars."
Axelmania
Knight

HWalsh wrote:The CS would crap itself and execute any human from Pre-Rifts Earth.
They would be dangerous to Prosek.
They would take one look around and be like:
"So, you're Nazis. Evil villains from Earth's past.
Also, you didn't make the SAMAS the US government did.
You're all evil liars."

I wouldn't say ANY human would necessarily say things like that.

BTS is clearly a pre-SAMAS era so they wouldn't know the US government did, only people from the Golden Age would know that.

Also I think it'd take more than an instantaneous glance to make comparisons to NSDAP. I'm not even clear how many people know about stuff like Hitler on Rifts Earth. Obviously Erin Tarn does because she wrote about an old essay Karl wrote about him in college (back when Tarn was allowed to visit the Chi-Town Library) but that may not be mainstream...

Do we know for example, when consulting RMB 191 the differences in circulation/reading of Tarn's various stuff? Her 63 PA book "Rise from Chaos" for example (left column) bragging about the library of Chi-Town being awesome, might be more well circulated than her 78PA diary entry "A study in the corruption of the soul" where she talks about the Hitler Regime in the 3rd paragraph. I don't even know if anyone besides Erin has read ASITCOTS, it might very well be her PRIVATE diary. I'm sure Plato probably snooped, but I don't even know if the average Lazloite would know about Karl's obscure Chi-U political essay, unless tarn later reiterated this info in other publications other than her diary.

That's one thing that seems kinda vague about pre-rifts knowledge is just how widespread it is, in respect to historical events/figures. For all I know the average burbite/farmer might even give a "literally who?" to any given American president. Do they even know about Washington/Lincoln? I expect knowledge of WW2 would be more well-known to the average NGR citizen than to the average CS one, and even then, I'm not sure to what degree.

New arrivals also wouldn't necessarily know the CS is lying about the past since they might plausibly think they're just honestly mistaken about details due to apocalypse wiping out records and incompetent dot-connecting.

Also, rather than execution: rather than wasting human life, isn't it also possible the CS could simply have Psi-Bat's Mind Melters use dozens of Mind Wipes to erase dangerous information?

They might not bother to do that with your average worthless Rogue Scientist, but for those with special anti-magic powers it could be worth the effort.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

.....why are you trying to find some logical gap to insert magic stuff into the coalition?
Axelmania
Knight

Orin J. wrote:.....why are you trying to find some logical gap to insert magic stuff into the coalition?

I'm not, you have to keep in mind that when KS wrote CB he envisioned 20th-century Nega-psychics traveling to Rifts Earth and making Telekinetic Force Fields and throwing the equivalent of Negate Magic around.

That's still the case even in the Revised Conversion Book.

It's plausible you could have these guys in random towns, so the CS just seems like another candidate: one who might emphasize recruiting such humans.

I am questioning whether or not it would actually count as magic though, or just PPE-fueled powers which emulate spell effects.

IE maybe nega-psychic spell-equivalent powers don't benefit from ley lines but also can't be stopped by Anti-Magic Cloud? *shrug*
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Axelmania wrote:
Orin J. wrote:.....why are you trying to find some logical gap to insert magic stuff into the coalition?

I'm not, you have to keep in mind that when KS wrote CB he envisioned 20th-century Nega-psychics traveling to Rifts Earth and making Telekinetic Force Fields and throwing the equivalent of Negate Magic around.

That's still the case even in the Revised Conversion Book.

It's plausible you could have these guys in random towns, so the CS just seems like another candidate: one who might emphasize recruiting such humans.

I am questioning whether or not it would actually count as magic though, or just PPE-fueled powers which emulate spell effects.

IE maybe nega-psychic spell-equivalent powers don't benefit from ley lines but also can't be stopped by Anti-Magic Cloud? *shrug*

pretty sure that since they're d-bees (being from another dimension) they wouldn't be recruited and would probably be jailed/terminated. the CS cares about that a LOT.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Going to ask how exactly the CS would know if a human is from another dimension or not if they don't actually say they are. It's not like there's any sense a dog boy or psi-stalker has that would inform them if a given human were from this earth or another earth: just if they have magic or psionics.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Axelmania wrote:
HWalsh wrote:The CS would crap itself and execute any human from Pre-Rifts Earth.
They would be dangerous to Prosek.
They would take one look around and be like:
"So, you're Nazis. Evil villains from Earth's past.
Also, you didn't make the SAMAS the US government did.
You're all evil liars."

I wouldn't say ANY human would necessarily say things like that.

BTS is clearly a pre-SAMAS era so they wouldn't know the US government did, only people from the Golden Age would know that.

Also I think it'd take more than an instantaneous glance to make comparisons to NSDAP. I'm not even clear how many people know about stuff like Hitler on Rifts Earth. Obviously Erin Tarn does because she wrote about an old essay Karl wrote about him in college (back when Tarn was allowed to visit the Chi-Town Library) but that may not be mainstream...

Do we know for example, when consulting RMB 191 the differences in circulation/reading of Tarn's various stuff? Her 63 PA book "Rise from Chaos" for example (left column) bragging about the library of Chi-Town being awesome, might be more well circulated than her 78PA diary entry "A study in the corruption of the soul" where she talks about the Hitler Regime in the 3rd paragraph. I don't even know if anyone besides Erin has read ASITCOTS, it might very well be her PRIVATE diary. I'm sure Plato probably snooped, but I don't even know if the average Lazloite would know about Karl's obscure Chi-U political essay, unless tarn later reiterated this info in other publications other than her diary.

That's one thing that seems kinda vague about pre-rifts knowledge is just how widespread it is, in respect to historical events/figures. For all I know the average burbite/farmer might even give a "literally who?" to any given American president. Do they even know about Washington/Lincoln? I expect knowledge of WW2 would be more well-known to the average NGR citizen than to the average CS one, and even then, I'm not sure to what degree.

New arrivals also wouldn't necessarily know the CS is lying about the past since they might plausibly think they're just honestly mistaken about details due to apocalypse wiping out records and incompetent dot-connecting.

Also, rather than execution: rather than wasting human life, isn't it also possible the CS could simply have Psi-Bat's Mind Melters use dozens of Mind Wipes to erase dangerous information?

They might not bother to do that with your average worthless Rogue Scientist, but for those with special anti-magic powers it could be worth the effort.

It doesn't matter what others know, the pre-rifts human would know.

Do you really think the CS would waste the time and energy to risk a multiple mind wipe when they can solve the issue with 1 energy blast?

You know better.

Prosek doesn't care about people. He's an insane megalomaniac. His "human-first" is just window dressing to get what he wants: Power.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Going to ask how exactly the CS would know if a human is from another dimension or not if they don't actually say they are. It's not like there's any sense a dog boy or psi-stalker has that would inform them if a given human were from this earth or another earth: just if they have magic or psionics.

i'm sure part of their testing includes a "local knowledge" test to catch D-Bees frol alternate earths since they're aware of there being alternate earths.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Going to ask how exactly the CS would know if a human is from another dimension or not if they don't actually say they are. It's not like there's any sense a dog boy or psi-stalker has that would inform them if a given human were from this earth or another earth: just if they have magic or psionics.

i'm sure part of their testing includes a "local knowledge" test to catch D-Bees frol alternate earths since they're aware of there being alternate earths.

What if they're a human from out of town but still this earth? I mean Rifts Earth has lots of isolated communities, I don't think that's really viable sinse lots of people from Rifts Earth would have basically no local knowlege either. Besides their problem with D-bee's is the fact they're not human, not the mere fact they are D-Bees, they probablly don't consider humans from other dimensions worth bothering in the first place unless they do go stirring up the pot with banned ideals--and then it wouldn't matter if they were Rifts Earth Native or Not, they'd want to silence them anyway.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

HWalsh wrote:The CS would crap itself and execute any human from Pre-Rifts Earth. They would be dangerous to Prosek.

CB1 states as long as past-Earth humans don't go causing trouble the CS has no problem with them. It also states the same applies to alt-Earth humans that don't have anything that makes them stick out like sore thumbs (ie: superpowers, magic, ect).
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:

What if they're a human from out of town but still this earth? I mean Rifts Earth has lots of isolated communities, I don't think that's really viable sinse lots of people from Rifts Earth would have basically no local knowlege either. Besides their problem with D-bee's is the fact they're not human, not the mere fact they are D-Bees, they probablly don't consider humans from other dimensions worth bothering in the first place unless they do go stirring up the pot with banned ideals--and then it wouldn't matter if they were Rifts Earth Native or Not, they'd want to silence them anyway.

the CS is a very "better safe than sorry" sort of monster, and would probably not care how many false positives it throws into work camps to ensure that their forces are acceptably loyal/ignorant.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:

the CS is a very "better safe than sorry" sort of monster, and would probably not care how many false positives it throws into work camps to ensure that their forces are acceptably loyal/ignorant.

But no soceity is actually that cartoonishly opressive: their own people wouldn't stand for it, nor would the soldigers, who are humans themselves, actually go through with it--if they tried it'd probablly result in the squad just asking a few vauge questions then writing down the standard test was given in their report. Remember the people DOING the enforcing are going to get tired of that level of paranoia too.

Think of how often actual cops sort of handwave or make up proceedure in the report they didn't actually do. the CS is going to do that too. especially when most of the people filing the reports can't actually write.

Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:

But no soceity is actually that cartoonishly opressive: their own people wouldn't stand for it, nor would the soldigers, who are humans themselves, actually go through with it--if they tried it'd probablly result in the squad just asking a few vauge questions then writing down the standard test was given in their report. Remember the people DOING the enforcing are going to get tired of that level of paranoia too.

Think of how often actual cops sort of handwave or make up proceedure in the report they didn't actually do. the CS is going to do that too. especially when most of the people filing the reports can't actually write.

man, if you think the police are going to get lazy on the side of lenience and not oppression you haven't been checking the news lately! we already know as FACT the CS puts their prospective citizens through extensive review and investigation before accepting them- and they don't accept most. if a battery of questions is able to foil a D-Bee that looks entirely human and doesn't register as supernatural until they turn into a monster of living steel and start ripping into people inside the city, why wouldn't they? it's clearly their patriotic duty to keep those monsters out.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:What if they're a human from out of town but still this earth? I mean Rifts Earth has lots of isolated communities, I don't think that's really viable sinse lots of people from Rifts Earth would have basically no local knowlege either. Besides their problem with D-bee's is the fact they're not human, not the mere fact they are D-Bees, they probablly don't consider humans from other dimensions worth bothering in the first place unless they do go stirring up the pot with banned ideals--and then it wouldn't matter if they were Rifts Earth Native or Not, they'd want to silence them anyway.

man, if you think the police are going to get lazy on the side of lenience and not oppression you haven't been checking the news lately! we already know as FACT the CS puts their prospective citizens through extensive review and investigation before accepting them- and they don't accept most. if a battery of questions is able to foil a D-Bee that looks entirely human and doesn't register as supernatural until they turn into a monster of living steel and start ripping into people inside the city, why wouldn't they? it's clearly their patriotic duty to keep those monsters out.

Lazy on the side of paperwork, not lazy on the side of dishing out their oppression quota :lol:

I'm saying they'd decide who they're going to kick out/opress based on knee jerk reactions of how they're feeling that day and not on actual in-depth reviews. because that's how it tends to work.

I mean sure, if they're applying for citizenship they'd get the battery. but I figured we were talking about a random stop in the burbs--where the CS KNOWS FOR A FACT D-bees and magic users are everywhere and just don't care enough to shoot them all--and if you don't care enough to kill the D-bee running a stall 5 feet away from you, you're not going to interrogate some random human to see if they're REALLY from THIS earth or not, because you have much more convient targets for opression 5 feet away that are obviously inhuman.

If the situation is the human is trying to get into the City then yes. if the situation is They're in the burbs where, again, the CS is known to actively ignore obviously DB people and shokeepers in full view because it's not worth it to shoot them all--then when time comes for opressing, they are unlikely to give someone the battery of being a human from another earth, unless they already decided to pick him out cuz the grunt decided he didn't like him that day, and if that's the case, even being innocent isn't likely to save you, so again, the test either wouldn't really be performed or done in a prefunctory manner, cuz when they've already decicded you're guilty, they don't really bother doing it properly.

Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

the CS doesn't care about the burbs. that's not anything to them and they crush any area that becomes too lousy with d-bees. it's just not worth monitoring all the people that WANT to be let into the cities and get rejected, they just send teams out when something concerns coalition interests. you're shifting the argument, the coalition would put anyone coming into coalition cities let alone their military forces through as much testing as they like. the would absolutely test for if they're from another dimension with everything from investigation to through testing.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Orin J. wrote:the CS doesn't care about the burbs. that's not anything to them and they crush any area that becomes too lousy with d-bees. it's just not worth monitoring all the people that WANT to be let into the cities and get rejected, they just send teams out when something concerns coalition interests. you're shifting the argument, the coalition would put anyone coming into coalition cities let alone their military forces through as much testing as they like. the would absolutely test for if they're from another dimension with everything from investigation to through testing.

It's more I think we started with different unstated assumptions: I started assuming we were talking about the burbs, you started assuming we were talking about the cities. now we're clear and it seems we agree, so it's all good.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Nope, they shouldn't. It is beyond their anti-magic concept.

Do we know explicitly that they would reject all "Beyond Negas" from the Conversion Book from living in their burbs or serving in their army though?

I'm not arguing that homegrown (psyscape style) nega-psychics should get this, mind you, only the rare "time travelers" from BTS who grew up thinking supernatural = fake.

I was answering the title of the topic. The words "Negate Magic" refer to the spell negate magic. So if you feel I was not answering the Main body of your post then it is entirely on you.

BTS1 page 59
"The person who is a Nega-psychic has the absolute unshakable belief that psychic power, the paranormal and supernatural do not exist."
This statement is the core idea of the Nega-Psychic class.

The core idea means that the NP will not recognize that the magic is magic and Can Not Concentrate To Negate It because that would be acknowledging that there is magic.

as for the other powers the RCB1's say they acquire...
---dispel magic barrier: again the NP would have to go agents the core concept of the class and acknowledge that there is magic.
detect concealment: comment: W.T.F. does this have to do with the class. If the char doesn't have the skill too FN bad. Tossed out.
TKFF...is not a part of the NP core idea. toss out.
etc..
etc..

Can't they just write a conversion that does not go cross grain against the core idea of the class???*sardonicism*

EDIT: Conclusion:
If I was GMing if the char is from BTS 1 or 2 then the char only gets the bonus PPE to fuel their ant-psi & anti-magic abilities. All the rest is tossed in the circular file. And the 'player' HAS TO stick tot he core BTS Nega-Psychic Class Concept when role playing the character.
If the player wants all those powers then they would have to play the NP from Psyscape.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

HWalsh wrote:It doesn't matter what others know, the pre-rifts human would know.

Would know what, specifically?

People live in various states of ignorance today, in past decades, not to mention future ones.

Plus even those who know history often question it, and might not feel compelled to preach the history they were taught with enthusiasm.

Even people not original skeptical of "the world as I was taught in school" might well develope that coming to Rifts Earth. They were taught to question the supernatural... given narratives that didn't take into account the supernatural... yet it was there all along, so the history they THOUGHT they knew may no longer inspire them with faith.

Like for example, now that you know there's shapeshifters and demons, would you even necessarily want to say Washington founded the states, or would you be wondering if Washington was a shapeshifted Raksasha?

HWalsh wrote:Do you really think the CS would waste the time and energy to risk a multiple mind wipe when they can solve the issue with 1 energy blast?

ISP recharges for free, E-clips have a fee.

You also have to keep in mind that the CS would need to discover there's a problem in the first place.

I guess if they know people show up from the past they'd keep an eye out for "I'm a time traveler from the past!" vagabonds, but you might have a lot of people who found some pre-Rifts cache going around spouting nonsense like that for attention. It would take some mental scans to flesh out the legits from the quacks anyway.

HWalsh wrote:You know better.

Prosek doesn't care about people.

He's an insane megalomaniac.

Who wouldn't want to waste unique abilities by prematurely executing potential assets.

HWalsh wrote:His "human-first" is just window dressing to get what he wants: Power.

Window-dressing or not, to keep up the facade requires playing by that impression for the benefit of those who do believe in it.

Orin J. wrote:they're aware of there being alternate earths.

Do you recall which book introduced the idea of the CS being aware of alternate earths? That's not something I can pinpoint.

The Beast wrote:It also states the same applies to alt-Earth humans that don't have anything that makes them stick out like sore thumbs (ie: superpowers, magic, ect).

In the case of powers I think the CS would care more about which powers and how you got them than guessing if maybe you came from another dimension that humans live in.

Orin J. wrote:the CS is a very "better safe than sorry" sort of monster, and would probably not care how many false positives it throws into work camps to ensure that their forces are acceptably loyal/ignorant.

You still need some criterion for triggering false positives. What criteria is going to set them apart from just random "I grew up on a farm in middle america" humans who are prospective burbites/citizens?

Also the "better safe" response might just be "have Psi-Net scan them a couple extra days" rather than "enslave them for the next decade" (that's reserved for non-humans)

Orin J. wrote:if a battery of questions is able to foil a D-Bee that looks entirely human and doesn't register as supernatural until they turn into a monster of living steel and start ripping into people inside the city, why wouldn't they? it's clearly their patriotic duty to keep those monsters out.

This matters power-by-power I would think, the APS guys are a lot more alarming than someone who gets a lesser super abilitity such as "extraordinary MA", for example.

If it isn't clearly magic, the question is whether the spell-emulating abilities that BTS negas temporarilty gain on Rifts Earth would make the CS go bonkers. Likely not: and it's not even clear that the CS could find them out psychically given how nega-psychics are resistant to scans and even if they weren't: highly unaware that they have abilities (just thinking magic isn't real).

More interesting to the CS would be more along the lines of:
1) why does this prospective citizen think magic isn't real when it's clearly a danger all humans on the continent grew up around?
2) why does this prospective citizen think he grew up in the distant past before cities collapsed?

The CS could perhaps become aware of those opinions (even without scans, some prospects might just volunteer the info) but that might not mean they'd actually BELIEVE them. Thinking you're from the past might just be insanity from a traumatized mind...

But say they take for granted the memory of falling through a random rift or something: we know rifts are portals through space and TIME... so why would the CS be averse to thinking it was just a time rift and that they were just ported forward (much like TEmporal Magic can do) and are native humans to earth with potentially useful pre-Rifts knowledge that should be carefully managed and monitored, rather than eliminated?

Orin J. wrote:the CS doesn't care about the burbs.

Sure they do, it's a natural buffer, source of info, sometimes new citizens wanting to be grunts come from there, etc.

It's just always going to play 2nd fiddle to prioriry interests like the mega-cities, army bases, probably farms... but they're still going to do some basic work keeping it safe when they can spare resources.

Orin J. wrote:the would absolutely test for if they're from another dimension with everything from investigation to through testing.

They would if they COULD, but the question is how mechanically they'd go about forming that opinion.

Object-reading the guy's pants and seeing "wow, this fell through a rift" isn't necessarily good enough. I don't think the CS just goes about killing anybody who gets tossed through rifts.

Orin J. wrote:pretty sure that since they're d-bees (being from another dimension) they wouldn't be recruited and would probably be jailed/terminated. the CS cares about that a LOT.

That's only if you use the "alternate dimension" interpretation, it still seems possible to use "Earth's past" interpretation.

I'm not entirely sure how the CS tells the difference TBH. It's not like a telepathic span would help because the characters themselves probably don't know.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Axelmania wrote:
Orin J. wrote:pretty sure that since they're d-bees (being from another dimension) they wouldn't be recruited and would probably be jailed/terminated. the CS cares about that a LOT.

That's only if you use the "alternate dimension" interpretation, it still seems possible to use "Earth's past" interpretation.

I'm not entirely sure how the CS tells the difference TBH. It's not like a telepathic span would help because the characters themselves probably don't know.

that's easy to answer!

they don't. they don't know if time travel is possible. they know there's alternate dimensions with virtually identical humanlike d-bees with dangerous powers, knowledge, and allegiances. anyone claiming to be from the distant past is either a scam artist or a d-bee for their purposes.
Axelmania
Knight

Orin J. wrote:they don't know if time travel is possible.
they know there's alternate dimensions with virtually identical humanlike d-bees

I mean... MAYBE they do? The leader of the invasion that spurred the formation of the CS was a Temporal Wizard after all (see my new thread).

I don't think CS awareness of time-travel magic (along with a slew of other particular kinds of magic) has been addressed one way or another.

So we're left in a "do they or don't they" limbo of GM guessing.

It would actually be interesting to compile (perhaps from SOT-mining?) explicit examples of particular spells being talked about w/ CS countermeasures and stuff, along with any explicit statements of particular aspects of magic the CS doesn't know about (like I dunno, maybe rune weapons or god-tier supernaturals? *shrug* I don't remember either.

Which particular dimensions does the CS know about with 'virtually identical' D-Bees? Do they know about Seeron? Atlanteans? HU? Skraypers? ATB? PF?

The only thing I can think of might be Wormwood since despite it supposedly being a secret planet not even the Splugorth know about, Erin Tarn wrote a tell-all book she presumably published letting everyone and their grandparents know about it, so "the splugorth ally with the unholy to enslave the cathedral" should probably be the next dimension book.

I wonder if Tarn is to blame for Tiamat learning about the place?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

listen. your argument is nonsense. it's been established that the CS knows there's other dimensions with people in them that look virtually/technically are human but at different relative points in scientific development, and we know that the CS are a bunch of paranoid fascists. there's no reason for them to gamble on someone being a time traveler and not some kind of inhuman creature because it has "useful powers" when that's central to their argument why d-bees need to be kept out of human interaction.

saying "i wonder what examples of this we might find if we look enough" is just you ignoring that your argument boils down to "i'd like to ignore the setting's reality and have this". the CS wouldn't touch these guys, full-stop. arguing about exceptions based on a loophole in the book language is just pedantry.
Axelmania
Knight

Orin J. wrote:it's been established that the CS knows there's other dimensions with people in them that look virtually/technically are human but at different relative points in scientific development

Where? I asked in my previous post but you didn't answer. I can't seem to recall which book/page/dimension this might refer to.

Orin J. wrote:the CS wouldn't touch these guys, full-stop.

Pg 36 of the original Rifts Conversion Book certainly emphasizes the potential for problems with the CS:
    Trouble with the Coalition States is likely.
    Although entirely human, people from 20th Century Earth or Earth-like dimensions are literate and far more educated than the average CS citizen.
    Thus, in the eyes of Coalition authorities, these "D-Bees" are a double threat, because they can read and because they hold dear disturbing notions of freedom, civil rights, democracy and philosophy.
    Such characters will always be viewed with suspicion and those that cannot be indoctrinated to the ways of the Coalition (and placed under constant surveillance) are imprisoned, or more likely, destroyed

"Those that cannot be indoctrinated" however, clearly implies that if the CS can manage to indoctrinate them, they don't imprison/destroy them.

The "double threat" is literacy/notions and not their actual DNA or being a quote/unquote d-bee.

Dealing with the literacy problem is EASY (just mind-wipe them) and a course of mind wipes and hypnotic suggestions could probably reframe ideas of freedom/rights/democracy/philosophy to fit CS wisdoms.

There wouldn't be any need to destroy them because those who "cannot be indoctrinated" would be a minority. IE those who are resistant to psychic probes.

That said: many nega-psychics are, so you'd have to use traditional non-psi means to brainwash them.

On the other hand: they might be pliable from the mental breakdowns they will inevitably have entering a world with more monsters/magic than BTS.

Orin J. wrote:arguing about exceptions based on a loophole in the book language is just pedantry.

What loophole are you talking about here? That KS originally said BTS could be the past rather than an alternate dimension? That's not a loophole, it's a gaming option.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I always thought that the CB1 version of Nega-Psychics was much better than the Rifts version.
I kinda hate that they decided that negapsychics native to Rifts Earth would believe in the Supernatural; it makes them SO much less interesting!!

With BtS/CB1 nega-psychics, the CS would have to deal with a number of thing:
1. They're from another dimension, as is being discussed.
This could be eventually discovered via interrogation, although if the negapsychic has a Permanent Mind Block, this would be more difficult.
And that only applies to negas who actually know when/where they're from; a child young enough, or somebody with amnesia, wouldn't be able to reveal where they were from, because they wouldn't even know.
2. The Coalition hates the supernatural... and BtS Negas don't even believe in the supernatural.
So the Negas would believe that the CS is insane, and vice-versa.
But they might be able to come to terms, humoring each other for mutual benefit.
3. They wouldn't work well with Dog Pack or other psychics, not only because the negas don't believe in that stuff, but also because their powers impose penalties to various psychic powers that have a percentage roll involved.

But I could see a place for them in some degree with the Coalition.
Although I don't think BtS negas would show up on Rifts Earth in significant numbers in any case.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:I don't think BtS negas would show up on Rifts Earth in significant numbers in any case.

Not sure we ever get clear numbers of what to expect from different sources
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I don't think BtS negas would show up on Rifts Earth in significant numbers in any case.

Not sure we ever get clear numbers of what to expect from different sources

Well, psychics are rare on BtS Earth.
Nega-Psychics seem to be pretty rare even for psychics.
Rifts are also pretty rare on BtS Earth.

A Nega-Psychic falling into a Rift? Extra special rare.
A Nega-Psychic falling into a Rift that leads to Rifts Earth? Even more rare.
A Nega-Psychic falling into a Rift that leads to Rifts Earth in roughly the same timeline as the Rifts game?
Rarer still.

If you want the CS to have access to significant numbers of BtS nega-psychics, you'd need to change those odds somehow.
Which can easily be done... but it'll be a house scenario, not something that changes the odds for the game in general.
Similarly, one could simply rule that the CS Nega-Psychics in the books don't exist, and rule that Rifts Nega-Psychics are no different from BtS Nega-Psychics.
But again, house rule.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Well, psychics are rare on BtS Earth.
Nega-Psychics seem to be pretty rare even for psychics.
Rifts are also pretty rare on BtS Earth.

I'm going to need to review the 1st/2nd editions I suppose.

Guessing no mention about how Minion War might affect this? Seems like MW only addresses Rifts/HU/PF but none of the others like Nightbane/Dead Reign/ATb/etc.

Killer Cyborg wrote:A Nega-Psychic falling into a Rift? Extra special rare.

This actually makes me wonder, if a Nega-Psychic saw a rift, would they be in such disbelief about a hole in the air that they'd be automatically trying to negate it and maybe just close the portal before they could even fall in?

Like maybe the only way it would work is if they didn't see the rift they were falling into?

The rifts "megaversal builder" dimension book also introduced the concept of transit times through rifts (usually brief with rare exceptions) and I wonder if nega-psychics might be prone to negating dimensional portals midway through traveling through them, causing all kinds of problems.

Killer Cyborg wrote:If you want the CS to have access to significant numbers of BtS nega-psychics, you'd need to change those odds somehow.
Which can easily be done... but it'll be a house scenario, not something that changes the odds for the game in general.
Similarly, one could simply rule that the CS Nega-Psychics in the books don't exist, and rule that Rifts Nega-Psychics are no different from BtS Nega-Psychics.
But again, house rule.

Yeah. If I were going to house rule I think I'd prefer a mix of BTS-style (can do Negate Magic, but don't believe magic is real) and Psyscape-style (believe magic is real, but can only shrug it off mid-casting). IE it being plausible that a minority could actually disbelief in magic and they're just so useful (can negate already-cast spells) that the CS don't actually want to correct them on that delusion lest they lose their unique abilities.

You might even have the CS trying to mislead a small minority of psychics (trying to convince them magic doesn't exist) to provoke such abilities, if they discover the correlation. They certainly don't have qualms against keeping the population ignorant if they think it's for the greater good.

Return to “Rifts®”