Permanent Rift

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Skiles99
D-Bee

Permanent Rift

Unread post by Skiles99 »

Hello all, I need your help finding something! I've come across mention on these forums of a permanently open rift in the ocean, possibly in the Atlantic, possibly near South America, that continually ports in water from somewhere else. I'm wondering if anyone here could help point me out to the book(s) and, ideally, the page(s) where this is talked about?

Thanks so much in advance!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Permanent Rift

Unread post by Orin J. »

no idea what you're talking about, but it'd have to be in either the south america books (which seems unlikely) or lemuria.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Skiles99 wrote:I've come across mention on these forums of a permanently open rift in the ocean, possibly in the Atlantic, possibly near South America, that continually ports in water from somewhere else.

I'm wondering if anyone here could help point me out to the book(s) and, ideally, the page(s) where this is talked about?

WB6p15 let column "The Amazon River" 4th paragraph which continues into right column about the "Greater Amazon" southern branch 9000 miles long which splits 1/3 of the continent from the other 2/3.

I don't know if it's necessarily 100% canon, rather mages/mystics have a theory of a permanent rift explaining why there's fresh water when it should be salt. That it opens to the "Elemental Plane of Water".

The "whatever the case" wording means it's a GM choice I think.

It's certainly possible to have a permanent rift if you either use a permanence ward on the Dimensional Portal spell or demonically sacrifice some souls.

Circle Masters from PF could also manage something close enough to explain constant fresh water from the EPOW. The power circle of "Dimensional Rift" only costs 50 PPE per reopening and lasts 15 seconds per level, so if you enslaved an elemental and told them to keep opening it for you and leech PPE from other elementals to pay the cost, they might be able to do so indefinitely. Hm: can elementals draw PPE from a ley line to power spells?

I sincerely thought there was an Elemental out there (a major/greater/intelligence) able to cast Dimensional Portal but I can't find it in CB/DC/DG so I'm wondering if I imagined it...

"Create Deific Portal" is one option to get a permanent rift without needing a permanance ward or sacrificing souls though, that's D+G pg 92 but unless you're Wolvenar (pg 177) this takes Severe Body Investment to make so it's not done lightly.

Perhaps we could assume one of the gods in South America (assuming they retroactively get deific powers like the Russian Gods, Three of Dweomer or Egypt Pantheon) did this at one point to create a fresh water supply for their people?

The 1000+Severe needed to close it is rather prohibitive... though I'm not sure if Dispel Deific Power (pg 94) might be an alternative. It's way cheaper and while not guaranteed to succeed (a contest of unmodififed D20s) the ability to brute-force (spam until you win the contest) negate something with a body investment with NO body investment (PPE only) is pretty cool...

One other downside I guess is DDP informs whichever deity whose effects you're targeting of who you are, whereas "Destroy Deific Portal" doesn't say that, so it might allow anonymous portal-closing to avoid reprisal (make it harder for the deity to find out who closed the portal, maybe even leave them unaware it was closed!)

There's also a possibility of portals staying open after a god is slain so maybe DispelDpower won't work if there's no god alive to roll a defence and you need DestroyDportal in that case?
Skiles99
D-Bee

Unread post by Skiles99 »

Thanks to both of you!

I've been spending quarantine trying to unravel various Rifts prophecies including Poor Yorick's (CW1 pages 43-45) and specifically 25-32. While I'm pretty sure it's just referencing the Mid-Atlantic Ridge the reference on here to a permanently open Rift spewing water made me wonder. As described by Axelmania and as I read it, this one's actually in South America (if it exists at all) and does not fit Yorick's words nearly as well as the ridge. Ah well.

Now if only Palladium will address these prophecies in greater detail...I'd not mind so much if Rifts Earth was static (permanently frozen at 103 PA or whenever and individual game groups decide the future), but if they're going to keep advancing the timeline, I wish they'd not leave so many details behind.

Anyway, thanks again!

Return to “Rifts®”