Xiticix v. Coalition States

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Xiticix v. Coalition States

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Aside from gross biological issues, what are the major philosophical and political differences between the Xiticix and the Coalition, as viewed from the outside?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Xiticix v. Coalition States

Unread post by Orin J. »

well, one large one is the xiticix doesn't HAVE political or philosophical positions being they're a largely feral, semi-intelligent alien predator species and only a tiny handful of the elites have shown in indication of sapience to my knowledge. i mean lazlo tried for years to establish some kind of proof they can be reasoned with and failed to so much as establish they're capable of reason, that's a pretty solid issue.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Mark Hall wrote:Aside from gross biological issues, what are the major philosophical and political differences between the Xiticix and the Coalition, as viewed from the outside?

The Xiticix are inhuman creatures that operate with a totally alien intelligence and, as such, cannot be fully understood or reasoned with.
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

The only reasoning that can be done with the giant psychotic bugs involves the use of fly swatters and a giant can of Raid.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Outsiders see rapacious, aggressive, heavily armed and armored societies, with virtually endless armies of drones, bent on conquest. One is made up of humans and the other made up of giant bugs.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

taalismn wrote:Outsiders see rapacious, aggressive, heavily armed and armored societies, with virtually endless armies of drones, bent on conquest. One is made up of humans and the other made up of giant bugs.

hey, when lazlo spent years trying to get any response from them that's not trying to eat faces and failing it's pretty hard to argue they're not face-eating bugs.
taalismn
Priest

[quote="Orin J
hey, when lazlo spent years trying to get any response from them that's not trying to eat faces and failing it's pretty hard to argue they're not face-eating bugs.[/quote]

"Kill the brutes. Kill them all. Let God sort'em out."
"Kinda harsh there, aren't you, Plato?"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Orin J. wrote:
taalismn wrote:Outsiders see rapacious, aggressive, heavily armed and armored societies, with virtually endless armies of drones, bent on conquest. One is made up of humans and the other made up of giant bugs.

hey, when lazlo spent years trying to get any response from them that's not trying to eat faces and failing it's pretty hard to argue they're not face-eating bugs.

that isn't all that different from the coalition states, truthfully. or perhaps you think that lazlo has had great success in negotiating peace talks with the CS?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Shark_Force wrote:
Orin J. wrote:

that isn't all that different from the coalition states, truthfully. or perhaps you think that lazlo has had great success in negotiating peace talks with the CS?

hey they've gotten lots of responses from the CS. sure they're propaganda, threats, and calls for extermination but it's very easy to establish they're sentient and not simply a highly evolved predator species. xiticix are army ants in a dramatically large scale that happen to be a bit people-shaped. they haven't shown any sentience, awareness or anything else besides hositlity.

honestly i'm starting to suspect the only reason anyone tried to treat them like people is because erin tarn saw them early on, declared them to be bug people because she'd like to meet something like that and RIFTs missed a chance to wipe them out early because of her.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

The philosophical and political ideas are irrelevant here as the Xiticix have none and since they ideology of the CS has no impact on how the Xiticix act theirs is equally irrelivant.

I was coming here to say this but you beat me to it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
taalismn
Priest

Now, if you take another look at the two from a slightly different perspective, say, that of a more powerful polity.
Then one side has an unhealthy fetish with death iconography and the other tastes great deep-fried with side orders of mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

Orin J. wrote:well, one large one is the xiticix doesn't HAVE political or philosophical positions being they're a largely feral, semi-intelligent alien predator species and only a tiny handful of the elites have shown in indication of sapience to my knowledge. i mean lazlo tried for years to establish some kind of proof they can be reasoned with and failed to so much as establish they're capable of reason, that's a pretty solid issue.

There honestly is very little else to add to this.... LOL
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
taalismn
Priest

Well, at least Xiticix can fall under the 'Eat Invasive Species' movement imperative. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nuristas
Explorer

Unread post by Nuristas »

Mark Hall wrote:Aside from gross biological issues, what are the major philosophical and political differences between the Xiticix and the Coalition, as viewed from the outside?

According to me the main difference is that it is easier to paint the Xiticix as the evil envading man-eating bugs.
Fundamentally both want to impose their way views but with the Xiticix there is no future for you in their view except as paste to feed the next generation.
With the Coalition, since they are human, there will always be errors and room to wiggle, be creative.

Not much creativity in being... paste except a paste that hurts the tummy or some such.....

Return to “Rifts®”