West and Wewaxation at Wast

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Explorer
Comment: Eternally Sleepy

West and Wewaxation at Wast

Unread post by 1970 »

I'm halfheartedly throwing a campaign together for coal country Kentucky and was suddenly wondering what the miners did for entertainment. I made a list of stuff, like movies (new and old), live music, strongman or lumberjack competitions (lots of woods in these mountains), wrestling or boxing matches or maybe something like professional wrestling stuff from the Rifter #24. Traveling bards and circuses could cut through the boredom as well. Arts and crafts would be big too (as they are around here today).

Any other ideas for entertaining weary miners and lumberjacks?
Formless Faceless and Free
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: West and Wewaxation at Wast

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Those famous "soiled doves", which are in fact Ladies or Gentlemen of questionable moral character.

Carnvals, Rodeo's, Community dances/auctions (like what they did in Oklahoma! to raise money for the school..or was it a church)
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: West and Wewaxation at Wast

Unread post by Kraynic »

As someone that grew up mostly in West Virginia, I can tell you that music (dancing involved or not) and storytelling were popular. Festivals around the ripening of certain fruit (I'm not sure how many "Applebutter Festival"s there are in various towns in the Appalachians. That isn't to say all apples become apple sauce and apple butter either. You know hard cider (and other spirits) will be involved. Great pride is taken in things made with your own hands. Basically, nothing that costs a lot of money, because that is one thing in short supply.

I suppose some of this depends on what time period/setting you are going for as well.

Return to “Rifts®”