Whats the longest spanning campaign you've ever run

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Whats the longest spanning campaign you've ever run

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

successfully?

I tried making a campaign that spanned two whole generations, set in the Three Galaxies.
It didnt work well. When we tried moving on in the story a lot of players lost interest and we never got it back on track.

The reason I got to thinking about this is I was watching reviews of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and I realized the setting has a potentially epic span of about 4000 years.
Ditto Knights of the Old Republic, which I heard somebody actually tried to do but never got any feedback on how well it worked. (Allegedly they were playing in the Star Wars D20 system.)

Anybody ever try something along those lines? Multiple stories across a super long timeline?

Anyone here ever trying playing a human into old age?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Meneliki
D-Bee

Re: Whats the longest spanning campaign you've ever run

Unread post by Meneliki »

I haven't done it myself (first time GM) but I've heard of situations where campaigns retire their veteran characters and continue on playing as those characters' children. Kind of a neat idea.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Did not run it but played in a campaign where all the charters where immortals and there where decades between story arcs. The charters started at around 20 years and at the end they where 1250+ years old. Was a game played over a deployment three times a week for 1 year. Started on a home brewed sdc world with martial arts in a feudal japan erra ended in rifts. My charter was able to beat a AI to death using a coppy of Erin T book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I didn't run it, but I played in a MechWarrior game that spanned three generations; I had a MAD3R Marauder, which I upgraded with double heat sinks and medium pulse lasers, then my first character's son got Clan ER PPCs, then his son replaced the autocannon with a light gauss.
Love: It's what makes a Marauder.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

4 years. Was in an M&M game that lasted 4 years. Weekly played.

For Rifts only, sadly, 6 months - I was the GM in that one.
Nuristas
Explorer

Unread post by Nuristas »

Kindred of the East Campaign of 2 years
Vampire Campaign of 8 years

Now we are playing a rifts Campaign and going on ehm... 3 months :-D

Return to “Rifts®”