What OCC/RCC do you absolutely hate?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Re: What OCC/RCC do you absolutely hate?

Unread post by Hotrod »

Orin J. wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:The Crazy, especially the RUE version, where ALL of them are The Mask

Yup. Crazies are an interesting concept, but in practice they are effectively a built in excuse for their players to act like trolls. They are the Kender of Rifts.

your players need an excuse?......lucky....

Everyone can get a little trollish now and then, but the Crazy O.C.C. effectively encourages players to act like disruptive twerps with the built-in defense that they’re just acting in character. I’ve never seen a Crazy player do anything but detract from a game.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Hotrod wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:The Crazy, especially the RUE version, where ALL of them are The Mask

Yup. Crazies are an interesting concept, but in practice they are effectively a built in excuse for their players to act like trolls. They are the Kender of Rifts.

your players need an excuse?......lucky....

Everyone can get a little trollish now and then, but the Crazy O.C.C. effectively encourages players to act like disruptive twerps with the built-in defense that they’re just acting in character. I’ve never seen a Crazy player do anything but detract from a game.

I've only had one player run a crazy, and he only did it for a while, but I have seen lots of people try and yes it always seems to start at disruption and devolve from there. I have never outright banned this OCC but I strongly discourage it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Lots of people play Crazies as fishmalks, but I always preferred the darkly human story of somebody so desperate for power that they gave away their sanity, and had to watch as it was ripped away piece by piece.
Juicers have to die after ~5 years; Crazies end up wishing they did.

I see this as part of the "power comes at a price" aspect of the original setting, where humanity is so horrible outgunned that in order to survive they have to do one or more of the following:
-Meddle with supernatural forces, risking their soul at worst, and persecution at nigh-best.
-Rely on fascist human supremacists, or become one.
-Rely on high-tech armor and weapons, even power armor... but be vulnerable to insta-killing the moment they step out.
-Take so many drugs that it'll kill them.
-Get brain implants that will drive them insane.
-Replace body parts with cybernetics/bionics, losing humanity in the process.
-Rely on psychic powers that are somewhat limited, and that will also result in persecution.
-Rely on a smaller kingdom/nation/empire/whatever that's less Nazi-like, but that also isn't ANYWHERE near as powerful as the Nazis are.

A large part of the initial appeal of Rifts for ME was the moral dilemmas that were built into the setting.
There are Nazis on one side,
Demons on the other,
and normal folks forced to either choose a side, or risk being smashed in between.
Crazies, Juicers, and so forth all highlight(ed) the desperation and grit of the game.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Lots of people play Crazies as fishmalks, but I always preferred the darkly human story of somebody so desperate for power that they gave away their sanity, and had to watch as it was ripped away piece by piece.
Juicers have to die after ~5 years; Crazies end up wishing they did.

I liked the earlier Crazies, as well. I liked the idea that each of them went to the very own dark place.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Had an idea for a Crazy a while back... one that knew he was slowly losing it and developed a minor obsession with trying to be normal. So he'd continually be at war with himself trying to keep it under control. Most of the time he'd do alright, but under high stress it would be more likely for the 'loony' to come out, which might lead to a frenzy as he fought for control. He'd also
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mack wrote:Immune to Horror Factor? Ridiculous.

I don't even like it for the Apok TBH, I'd rather high bonuses than complete immunity.

Though the difficulty of getting HF over 19 basically makes +18 an immunity 99% of the time.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Mack wrote:Had an idea for a Crazy a while back... one that knew he was slowly losing it and developed a minor obsession with trying to be normal. So he'd continually be at war with himself trying to keep it under control. Most of the time he'd do alright, but under high stress it would be more likely for the 'loony' to come out, which might lead to a frenzy as he fought for control. He'd also

Aparantly what this Crazy also does is take control of Mack so Mack doesn't spill the beans on what he's up to.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Hotrod wrote:

I've never had a player portray a kender like that...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Fenris2020 wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

I've never had a player portray a kender like that...

Bruh thats almost literally the only way to play a kender. Its pretty much outlined that they should be disruptive AF. Also you cant get mad about it. Its forbidden, the book says so.

But yeah, prefered the old crazy for all the reasons people have previously listed. Kinda hated the africa necromancer, but liked the russian update.

Greatly prefer the lemurian update to the biomancer.

Hate the new cyberknight. With violent passion.

Lets not get me started on cactus people.

And i like to pretend the whole of spirit west never happened.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

What's wrong with the cactus people?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

The Beast wrote:What's wrong with the cactus people?

maybe he doesn't like walking capri suns that think they're amish?

Return to “Rifts®”