Boxing for actual boxing matches in rifts and palladium

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ryokoryu
Wanderer

Boxing for actual boxing matches in rifts and palladium

Unread post by ryokoryu »

So I wanted to make a prizefighter in rifts (Using the physical training character from HU) but I wanted to come up with a way to do it where I didn't knock my opponent's block off on my first swing so I came up with the following rules. First and foremost the boxing skill itself, that or the equivalent stand-in from the special hand to hand skills that say they incorporate it in. If you have the skill you get automatic dodge in a match-style fight regardless of whether or not you have it otherwise. The boxing gloves themselves make it so the punches inflict 1SDC per hit (no MDC beings or borgs will be allowed in one of these matches) and normal dodge/parry bonuses apply. Next number of attacks and initiative bonuses as per normal.
Crit ranges are normal but a nat 20 would be an automatic knockout so only criticals less than 20 would count for double damage. In this case 2 SDC. a connected hit will have the potential to knock out the opponent, PS bonus damage will instead be applied as bonus chance to knockout on a 1-1 bases. roll percentile and you must roll over their current SDC number (99-100 is a success regardless) - your bonus chance number. Rolling a natural 1 here is always a failed knockout and depleting their SDC will automatically be a knockout. Those without the boxing skill only lose out on the free auto-dodge int he ring. Juicers and crazies would be barred as well as anybody with bionic implants. Full flesh and blood humans and D-bees that are SDC beings only.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Re: Boxing for actual boxing matches in rifts and palladium

Playtested this system and made some modifications.
So I wanted to make a prizefighter in rifts (Using the physical training character from HU) but I wanted to come up with a way to do it where I didn't knock my opponent's block off on my first swing so I came up with the following rules. First and foremost the boxing skill itself, that or the equivalent stand-in from the special hand to hand skills that say they incorporate it in. If you have the skill you get automatic dodge in a match-style fight regardless of whether or not you have it otherwise. The boxing gloves themselves make it so the punches inflict 1SDC per hit and 3SDC per power punch (no MDC beings or borgs will be allowed in one of these matches) and normal dodge/parry bonuses apply. Next number of attacks and initiative bonuses as per normal.
Crit ranges are normal but a nat 20 would be an automatic knockout so only criticals less than 20 would count for double damage. In this case 2 SDC. a connected hit will have the potential to knock out the opponent, PS bonus damage will instead be applied as bonus chance to knockout on a 1-1 bases. roll percentile and you must roll over their current SDC number (99-100 is a success regardless) - your bonus chance number. Rolling a natural 1 here is always a failed knockout and depleting their SDC will automatically be a knockout. Those without the boxing skill only lose out on the free auto-dodge int he ring. Juicers and crazies would be barred as well as anybody with bionic implants. Full flesh and blood humans and D-bees that are SDC beings only.
During your turn you can do 1 of 2 strike maneuvers a 3 normal punch combo or a power punch maneuver. Both count as 1 action in the boxing match. When knocked out via nat20 or percentile roll there is a chance to get back up, when knocked out due to SDC depletion there is no getting up. First knockout of a character they roll 1d6+4 to see how many seconds they stay down, second knockout is 1d6+5 and so on so the ninth knockout will definitely be a loss.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

don't forget to roll with punch every blow!
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Orin J. wrote:don't forget to roll with punch every blow!

so you mean like this?
GM you fail your dodge 1 time and take 1 point of damage
PLAYER I rill with punch
GM Roll your 20
PLAYER nat 20
GM you take 1 point of damage
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

even if you're forgetting that P.S. would still apply here, you've got power punches doing 3 damage, which halves and rounds down to 1 so it's still useful.
ryokoryu
Wanderer

Orin J. wrote:even if you're forgetting that P.S. would still apply here, you've got power punches doing 3 damage, which halves and rounds down to 1 so it's still useful.

Except you don't apply PS bonuses to the damage here
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ryokoryu wrote:
Orin J. wrote:even if you're forgetting that P.S. would still apply here, you've got power punches doing 3 damage, which halves and rounds down to 1 so it's still useful.

Except you don't apply PS bonuses to the damage here

i'm gonna just admit, i find your rules kinda confusing. they also don't really look like boxing very much. as it sits, you really don't want to bother with damage, just developing as many fast blows as possible. i'm also not clear why you have automatic dodge. the main reason i mention roll with punch in the first place is it seems to cover all the things you made exceptions to the rules for and i figured you might've forgotten it.

i mean i've been punched plenty and a boxing gloves doesn't do jack to mitigate the other guy's strength. it just keeps anyone from breaking bones.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

ryokoryu wrote:Playtested this system and made some modifications.
So I wanted to make a prizefighter in rifts (Using the physical training character from HU) but I wanted to come up with a way to do it where I didn't knock my opponent's block off on my first swing so I came up with the following rules. First and foremost the boxing skill itself, that or the equivalent stand-in from the special hand to hand skills that say they incorporate it in. If you have the skill you get automatic dodge in a match-style fight regardless of whether or not you have it otherwise. The boxing gloves themselves make it so the punches inflict 1SDC per hit and 3SDC per power punch (no MDC beings or borgs will be allowed in one of these matches) and normal dodge/parry bonuses apply. Next number of attacks and initiative bonuses as per normal.
During your turn you can do 1 of 2 strike maneuvers a 3 normal punch combo or a power punch maneuver. Both count as 1 action in the boxing match. When knocked out via nat20 or percentile roll there is a chance to get back up, when knocked out due to SDC depletion there is no getting up. First knockout of a character they roll 1d6+4 to see how many seconds they stay down, second knockout is 1d6+5 and so on so the ninth knockout will definitely be a loss.

Perhaps you could use HtH: Commando as a guide and create a HtH: Boxing that is only available to professional boxers. That seem sway easier than your custom rules which are very confusing to me. The other thing we have done in our game is to add WP skills for boxing, kick boxing & wrestling.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I would go with one of these three:
http://www.geocities.ws/kuseru/PMAN/Styles/boxing3.htm
http://www.geocities.ws/kuseru/PMAN/Styles/boxing2.htm
http://www.geocities.ws/kuseru/PMAN/Styles/boxing.htm

They are already made full HtH styles.

Plus, the Rifter #50 has some great new rules in "A Challenger Has Appeared"

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”