Dragons can re-grow limbs?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Dragons can re-grow limbs?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Bionics 62:
the dragon's power of bio-regeneration will soon force the implant or bionic limb off and replace it with a true flesh and blood limb

I don't remember any dragons who could regrow lost body parts. Was that added somewhere? Given how limb regrowth has so consistently been described separately from bio-regeneration (with days/weeks needed, for example) on so many races I guess I figured it had to be mentioned for a creature to be able to do it.

B62/B49 increases (2 implants halve magic/psi and 4 negate AL magic/psi) seems to complicate things for certain classes like the Momano Headhunter and maybe Cyber-Knights?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Dragons can re-grow limbs?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

That is where it was added, in the Bionics sourcebook. it was never referenced previously. Rifts main book from the start said that dragons merely avoid bionics because they damage their magical abilities, which can only mean it WAS possible for them to get bionics. so bionics basically retconned it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Rifts main book from the start said that dragons merely avoid bionics because they damage their magical abilities, which can only mean it WAS possible for them to get bionics. so bionics basically retconned it.

Hm, maybe it's not a TOTAL retcon... like it seems like they could BRIEFLY enjoy a bionic limb for 5 minutes as a hatchling until their new limb regrows, assuming it's that speedy...

Left col of B61:
    Psychics, practitioners of magic, dragons, and most supernat­ural beings avoid bionic reconstruction like the plague, because it destroys their magic or psychic abilities.
    However, some will augment themselves with minor cybernetic implants or replace a lost limb, eye or internal organ with a Bio-System or a living symbiote (the latter is rare, except in Atlantis).

Since the book mentions reconstruction can still destroy mag/psi abilities for dragons (thus why they avoid it) it should be possible in some way...

When I look at B62 it's not entirely clear how long "soon" is, I guess?

We know regen will reject "implant or bionic limb" in singular, so maybe if you have too many it stops?

Like what if you quickly did full bionic conversion or a brain transplant for a dragon... could you simply negate it's natural abilities and thus it lacks bio-regen and can't reject anymore?
For a supernatural being or creature of magic to submit to bionic alteration is to actually strip itself of its true, natural powers;

What if it's not just magic and psi? I remember in HU it could also interfere with super-abilities. I know stuff like Negate Super Abiltities doesn't work on natural super powers (like aliens category) but I think the cyborg penalties still might... so we might view dragon shapeshifting / regen as akin to natural NSA-immune super powers like the alien category?

Of course I'm not sure how long it takes a cyber-doc to attach one of those things in the first place (perhaps even the simplest takes hours?) so the problem might be that you can't install them faster than they get expelled.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Page 8 of SB1 states that dragons would be locked into their natural form and lose half of their magic (at least) if they get bionics/cybernetics. It doesn't mention anything about them being able to regrow limbs, yet it does mention that for vampires. If the BS states the limbs regrow then it was retconned as Nekira said.
Axelmania
Knight

The Beast wrote:Page 8 of SB1 states that dragons would be locked into their natural form and lose half of their magic (at least) if they get bionics/cybernetics.

The section begins there though the pertinent quote is on page 9. This is original SB (from 90s) in case anyone is wondering, not the revised version.

Interesting thing there is there already seems precursors to how "partial conversion" was changed later in Rifts. Originally partial I think meant you could get all 4 limbs replaced and still be considered merely partial instead of full...

But here with the "Benny the Ley Line Walker" example you get cross-the-board halving for 1 limb and complete destruction (1D6 PPE) at anything beyond 1 limb.

Actually this might be even more extreme than the way RUE defiens partial/full conversion parameters?

Anyway back to dragons, maybe the compromise here is that dragons are only "locked" into natural forms so long as they still have the limb attached?

We know power impediment is gone soon as the bionisc are disconnected so maybe the assumption a dragon rejects it is based on him chewing off the bionics instintively?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Axelmania wrote:
The Beast wrote:Page 8 of SB1 states that dragons would be locked into their natural form and lose half of their magic (at least) if they get bionics/cybernetics.

The section begins there though the pertinent quote is on page 9. This is original SB (from 90s) in case anyone is wondering, not the revised version.

Interesting thing there is there already seems precursors to how "partial conversion" was changed later in Rifts. Originally partial I think meant you could get all 4 limbs replaced and still be considered merely partial instead of full...

But here with the "Benny the Ley Line Walker" example you get cross-the-board halving for 1 limb and complete destruction (1D6 PPE) at anything beyond 1 limb.

Actually this might be even more extreme than the way RUE defiens partial/full conversion parameters?

Anyway back to dragons, maybe the compromise here is that dragons are only "locked" into natural forms so long as they still have the limb attached?

We know power impediment is gone soon as the bionisc are disconnected so maybe the assumption a dragon rejects it is based on him chewing off the bionics instintively?

or maybe palladium is just really inconsistent and retconned something without bothering to call any attention to that fact (and possibly without even being particularly aware of it).

you really are putting too much thought into this.
Axelmania
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:maybe palladium is just really inconsistent and retconned something without bothering to call any attention to that fact
(and possibly without even being particularly aware of it).

Too much is relative, searching for in-universe explanations of confusing things rather than out-of-universe ones is a tradition of fandoms. To test our creativity and putting puzzle pieces together. How No-Prize explanations are borne
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:Bionics 62:
the dragon's power of bio-regeneration will soon force the implant or bionic limb off and replace it with a true flesh and blood limb

I don't remember any dragons who could regrow lost body parts. Was that added somewhere? Given how limb regrowth has so consistently been described separately from bio-regeneration (with days/weeks needed, for example) on so many races I guess I figured it had to be mentioned for a creature to be able to do it.

B62/B49 increases (2 implants halve magic/psi and 4 negate AL magic/psi) seems to complicate things for certain classes like the Momano Headhunter and maybe Cyber-Knights?

SoT6 (1st Printing August 2001) vs Bionics SB (1st Printing September 2002). Baarrtk Krror (Great Horned Dragon, pg96-9), text pg97 (left column, end of 2nd paragraph) "The masters of Bio-Wizardry worked some sort of magic that prevents the dragon's natural regenerative powers from working to regrow the eye"

Dragons & Gods (2nd Printing August 1998) pg21 "Basilisk's Curse" is that they can not bioregenerate eyes. this applies to specific dragon species, though limits of Bio-Regeneration aren't discussed AFAIK in the book.

Both examples show that Dragon Bioregeneration (normally) can regrow lost eyes, so it would not be a stretch to regrow lost limbs based on this. SB1o even suggests metamorphs like Dragons would regrow lost limbs (previously cited) but can "choose" to forgo it for the augmentations (but like the Broadkil pay a price for it).
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:maybe palladium is just really inconsistent and retconned something without bothering to call any attention to that fact
(and possibly without even being particularly aware of it).

Too much is relative, searching for in-universe explanations of confusing things rather than out-of-universe ones is a tradition of fandoms. To test our creativity and putting puzzle pieces together. How No-Prize explanations are borne

It works in some cases. In palladium, Poor editing is just the answer so often it only works sometimes to try to figure out an in-universe one.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:Both examples show that Dragon Bioregeneration (normally) can regrow lost eyes, so it would not be a stretch to regrow lost limbs based on this.

Perhaps they are considered organs and we assume bio-regen guys can regrow organs if not limbs? Squishy stuff but not bones?

ShadowLogan wrote:SB1o even suggests metamorphs like Dragons would regrow lost limbs (previously cited) but can "choose" to forgo it for the augmentations (but like the Broadkil pay a price for it).

I could see it being more of a "shapeshifters only" thing, but only for shapeshifters who can grow additional limbs.

Changelings and probably pleasurers need to keep the extremity count consistent (ie they can't impersonate Rahu-Men) but dragons don't.

So a 4-limbed nightstalker could become a 6-limbed Rahu-man or a 6-limbed Chaing-Ku can become a 4-limbed human... it stands to reason since they can regularly ungrow/regrow limbs while shapeshifting they could probably undo that damage too...

Though then again, Nightbane can also change limb count via Becoming but I think if they lose a limb in Facade it stays lost?

Return to “Rifts®”