Nazca Line Makers (WB9:SA2) learning Diabolist Wards

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Nazca Line Makers (WB9:SA2) learning Diabolist Wards

Unread post by Axelmania »

Pg 28 says they can, but what's the point if they don't actually have a "wards I can activate per day" limit like the Diabolist OCC? That is essential for making use of wards...

If you can make wards but lack the OCC to actually ACTIVATE them, then are you basically just limited to being an assistant who helps your Diabolist master prep wards and then the master uses his daily allotment to finalize them?

Pg 31 inversely says the Diabolist has "a knack" for it, presumably meaning they aer an exception to "most other magic OCCs" who find it awkward/disorienting. Would you take that to mena Diabolists do not suffer the penalties (half the level of effect) described in the next paragraph?

It is possible to "learn, purchase or mystically acquire" line rituals. The last bit I think referencing how a Mystic would get them (since they can't normally learn/purchase magic) whereas Learn/Purchase would be how a Line Walker / Temporal Mage (only 2 mentioned classes) would get them.

This seems to be treated like spell magic, pg 28 actually lets you sub spells for the usual rituals. So if we were guessing at time it takes to learn/teach this could help, as long as it didn't depend on levels since line magic isn't assigned levels (ie this would complicate trying to PRICE tutelage).

This seems like it could be a rool boon for the Diabolist OCC. While they can't cast without drawing or utilize other mages' drawings (only Line Maker OCC can do either of these) line magic doesn't require much in the way of components (pretty much any implement will do) and takes very little time to draw compared to standard Diabolist wards.

Since they do not have any 'spells per level' like a mystic I would assume a Diabolist would learn like a LLW where they are taught by someone who knows them...
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Nazca Line Makers (WB9:SA2) learning Diabolist Wards

Unread post by Hotrod »

Personally, I'd ditch the "# of wards per day" limit, which is an artifact of Palladium Fantasy 1st Edition, and I'd allow line makers and diabolists to learn each others' trades.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Hotrod wrote:Personally, I'd ditch the "# of wards per day" limit, which is an artifact of Palladium Fantasy 1st Edition

They kept it in 2nd ed even while adding PPE costs though
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Dragon Mage »

Axelmania wrote:Pg 28 says they can, but what's the point if they don't actually have a "wards I can activate per day" limit like the Diabolist OCC? That is essential for making use of wards...

If you can make wards but lack the OCC to actually ACTIVATE them, then are you basically just limited to being an assistant who helps your Diabolist master prep wards and then the master uses his daily allotment to finalize them?

Pg 31 inversely says the Diabolist has "a knack" for it, presumably meaning they aer an exception to "most other magic OCCs" who find it awkward/disorienting. Would you take that to mena Diabolists do not suffer the penalties (half the level of effect) described in the next paragraph?

It is possible to "learn, purchase or mystically acquire" line rituals. The last bit I think referencing how a Mystic would get them (since they can't normally learn/purchase magic) whereas Learn/Purchase would be how a Line Walker / Temporal Mage (only 2 mentioned classes) would get them.

This seems to be treated like spell magic, pg 28 actually lets you sub spells for the usual rituals. So if we were guessing at time it takes to learn/teach this could help, as long as it didn't depend on levels since line magic isn't assigned levels (ie this would complicate trying to PRICE tutelage).

This seems like it could be a rool boon for the Diabolist OCC. While they can't cast without drawing or utilize other mages' drawings (only Line Maker OCC can do either of these) line magic doesn't require much in the way of components (pretty much any implement will do) and takes very little time to draw compared to standard Diabolist wards.

Since they do not have any 'spells per level' like a mystic I would assume a Diabolist would learn like a LLW where they are taught by someone who knows them...

Just treat the Line Maker the same as a Diabolist of the same level who can use X number of ward phrases per day.

Peace,
Dragon Mage.

Return to “Rifts®”