Tarn lied re CS aggression. Cause of Tolkeen militarization?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Re: Tarn lied re CS aggression. Cause of Tolkeen militarizat

Unread post by Hotrod »

HWalsh wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
HWalsh wrote:It goes well beyond liking the bad guy. I'm down with liking the bad guy. The CS are basically post-apocalypse Nazis and Nazis are the best bad guys, since the Golden Age of comics they've been great.

They are coded as the one villain that you should never sympathize with. They are the closest thing in reality that we've ever had to pure evil. You can do anything to them you want really and never feel bad. That's why almost all the best fictional villains take traits from them. It's cruise control.

And yet, Oskar Schindler, Karl Plagge, Albert Göring, Albert Battel, and many others both served Nazi Germany and saved many Jews. One of the great lessons of the Holocaust was that the capacity for great evil is everywhere and within all of us, but people like these show us that it's possible to be a good person even in the service of a wicked regime. It's comfortable to think of all Nazis as being inhuman, universally evil, and unworthy of sympathy. I prefer for things to be more nuanced; there's a lot more potential for interesting character arcs there.

That's also why I loved the concept of the character Finn in the Star Wars sequel trilogy: the idea that behind every faceless white helmet lay the potential for redemption is a powerful idea, one that I rather wish they had explored a lot more.

HWalsh wrote:The CS aggression isn't some kind of conspiracy. They literally have a full book called "Coalition War Campaign" where they outline directly that the CS intends on killing every deebee and every magic user in North America.

I have no doubt that, if successful , Karl Prosek would turn his eyes to dominating the world one place at a time. He's a genocidal megalomaniacal madman, and that's great! He's an obvious villain, something to strive to defeat.

Agreed! It's entirely possible to play the Coalition as 2-dimensional fascist bad guys, and if that's how you like playing them, go for it! I don't support the coalition in a "that's how I'd do it" sense, and their obvious Nazi references should make readers uncomfortable. I think it's also interesting to contemplate a world with horrors so terrible that something we today regard as the greatest evil humanity has ever faced could somehow be a lesser evil.

As someone who knows nothing about their family because of that "lesser evil" I don't think so.

There are those of us who's entire family lost all family members past one generation, all of their family status, connections, any hope of wealth. If you think, for one second, that saying, "Well, it is interesting..."

That's really not cool.

I'm not saying that you (or anyone) losing your family members to the Holocaust was interesting. Sheesh, that would be creepy, offensive, and wrong.

I'm saying that it's interesting to contemplate how one might handle one's self in a situation where one is a member of an organization or nation that is doing objectively evil things. This is why the movie Schindler's List resonates as a story and not just as a portrayal of the Holocaust. What do you do when the people doing great evil are your friends, allies, comrades, and countrymen, and how do you live with the consequences of that choice? I think that there's value in contemplating and roleplaying that kind of scenario out.

It can be tempting to dehumanize Dead Boys and think of them as faceless, evil, disposable Stormtroopers. If that's your cup of tea, have fun with it. However, consider that, when you kill them, you're killing someone with friends and a family, someone who you might befriend if things were different. Consider that you and the enemy you regard as evil might actually agree on many important principles, and that you might even sympathize with that person's plight, even though it's in service to an evil cause that you must fight. That's the horror of war. It's a horror that I find endlessly fascinating and worthy of contemplation. I think it's critically important to understand the potential for good in the midst of evil, as well as the potential for and consequences of doing evil in the service of a good cause.

If this makes me not cool, I can live with that.

HWalsh wrote:That's neither here nor there. The problem is when people are obviously roleplaying as CS citizens in a non-RP forum. That is clearly what Axle is doing here.
Yeah, I've seen this on the boards to varying degrees over the years, and I agree with your assessment of Axle's approach here.

There is a seductive appeal in fascist imagery and idealism. The name itself refers the fasces, a bundle of sticks tied together for strength, as a symbol of strength in unity guided to a common purpose. This is a compelling notion for many that appeals to a desire to be part of something far bigger than an individual could hope to be. This isn't an exclusively fascist idea, either. The U.S.'s "E pluribus unum" motto (out of many, one) on its dollar bills speaks to a similar idea. I think this tends to appeal to a fairly vocal bunch among fans of Rifts, and I can understand you finding that concerning.

HWalsh wrote:Though to touch on the lesser evil thing for a second...

There really isn't anything worse on Rifts Earth than the CS.

Hear me out:

Demons are demons. They're a race of evil beings, they lack free will, they kill and enslave (and worse) but it is just in their nature. They don't have a choice. Demons are literally supernaturally evil.

The Spluggorth aren't actually genociding anyone. Yes, they had a major battle with the Atlanteans, and they have a massive market, and they take slaves, but at the end of the day they aren't really on the CS's level of evil.

Then we have the FOM - Again, they do some slavery, and they do murder, but they're content to stay in their own lane for better or worse.

The Xiticix aren't really intelligent in the way we are and as such their mindset is completely alien. They are bugs.

Now we have the CS.

The CS wants to wipe out any intelligent species that isn't them. They don't do this because they lack free will, as demons do. They don't do this because they are under threat, the CS would burn to a crisp an innocent child that happened to have wings growing out if its back, because it isn't them - Sure, some things are sort of a threat to them, but most aren't. We are told this in the books, most Deebees are just humans with a weird skin color.

They lie to their own people, keep them ignorant and in constant fear, spread dangerous propaganda, and they know that they are lying. This isn't a matter of the CS, namely the people in charge of the CS, not knowing any better. They know much better.

They choose to do this. They choose to kill anyone and anything that isn't them and that doesn't bow to them. They don't have to. Their thought process isn't completely alien. Even the Spluggorth as a whole don't want to kill their own kind, or enact genocide, just because. The fact of the matter is that the CS are the worst kind of evil, because they don't have an excuse.

They kill anyone and everything that they don't like, not that is a threat, that they don't like.

Bringing it back to the topic at hand - To insinuate that the CS weren't aggressive or planning on killing everyone in Tolkeen is madness. They do want to kill everyone in Tolkeen. They want to kill everyone in the FoM. They want to kill everyone in Atlantis (if they knew about it). They want to kill everyone in Lazlo. They do nothing but kill and conquer and they have no excuse for it. So to say, "Erin Tarn lied, the CS are totally innocent." It just madness.

The nature of evil can be complicated. I respect what you're saying here. I'm not sure if I agree, but it's worth thinking about.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

HWalsh wrote:It's always a core group of people. It is constantly defending the CS, like they're roleplaying actual CS characters. It's exhausting and disturbing.

I guess I could try defending Alistair Dunscon but TBH it's harder to make the argument about how identifiable other "designed to be villains" factions are when they're immortal MDC magic-casters.

A big part of the CS is how squishy they are underneath it all, and how limited a magic-free approach to human optimization is.

Even the Vanguard have that since they forbid the kinds of magic needed to fully exploit it's capacity to ubermax humans (ie no casting a necromantic Return to Grave to become a vampire)

HWalsh wrote:The CS are basically post-apocalypse Nazis and Nazis are the best bad guys

"Nazis" who have a black man as the top scientist, let's remember.

HWalsh wrote:They are coded as the one villain that you should never sympathize with.
They are the closest thing in reality that we've ever had to pure evil.

There have been other mass genocides before and after, just because they got lower numbers doesn't mean they were less evil. Didn't the Aztecs do a bunch of disemboweling of slaves and stuff? Different motives and fears, but how do we rank one type of evil as worse than another? It's too confusing sometimes.

HWalsh wrote:You can do anything to them you want really and never feel bad.

If that were true, we wouldn't document stuff like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_duri ... of_Germany as an atrocity.

HWalsh wrote:The CS aggression isn't some kind of conspiracy. They literally have a full book called "Coalition War Campaign" where they outline directly that the CS intends on killing every deebee and every magic user in North America.

Is it "aggression" to kill every home invader that's broken into one's house? Or to kill a member of the whom who betrays you by unlocking the doors to let them in? :clown:

HWalsh wrote:The CS wants to wipe out any intelligent species that isn't them.

Except they don't, they literally created new intelligent species to serve them, and there's no evidence they'd have any problem whatsoever with non-humans residing in other dimensions whose sole purpose was to drag back invading D-Bees to where they originated from.

HWalsh wrote:We are told this in the books, most Deebees are just humans with a weird skin color.

I can't remember that specific.

HWalsh wrote:They lie to their own people, keep them ignorant

Some things are too dangerous for people to know about without being prepared to process that knowledge.

HWalsh wrote:and in constant fear, spread dangerous propaganda,

Constant fear can make sense if there is constant danger.

The propaganda is mostly "dangerous" to their enemies.

HWalsh wrote:and they know that they are lying.
This isn't a matter of the CS, namely the people in charge of the CS, not knowing any better.
They know much better.

Any specifics here? Which lies replace something people are "better off" knowing the truth about?

HWalsh wrote:They choose to kill anyone and anything that isn't them and that doesn't bow to them.

No, because they haven't killed the NGR or New Navy. Neither bow, both are separate parties.

Columbia too, if I recall, is being courted as a trading partner without needing to be subservient.

HWalsh wrote:Even the Spluggorth as a whole don't want to kill their own kind, or enact genocide, just because.

Splugorth will totally kill other Splugorth for dominance, and the CS isn't doing genocide "just because", they're trying to reclaim earth for humans by ridding it of competitors.

Splynncryth claimed Atlantis for themselves by ridding it of competitors. How is that better?

HWalsh wrote:The fact of the matter is that the CS are the worst kind of evil, because they don't have an excuse.

I don't really see how Splynncryth's "I want to get rich by enslaving humans and selling them as appetizers to demons" somehow EXCUSES his choice to do so.

Both the CS and Splynncryth have "reasons" but reasons are not inherently excuses.

HWalsh wrote:They kill anyone and everything that they don't like, not that is a threat, that they don't like.

Free Quebec was disliked a long time for rejecting dog boys and hanging onto Glitter Boys, while that did lead to eventual conflict they weren't exactly murdered on a whim, and peace was made.

Feels like you're oversimplifying here.

HWalsh wrote:Bringing it back to the topic at hand - To insinuate that the CS weren't aggressive or planning on killing everyone in Tolkeen is madness.

I think the problem is speaking of "the CS" like it's a person. It's an empire full of people with varying plans and intentions.

The CS were aggressive to Tolkeen at a point in time, just as there was a point in time they were not. The question is: when did things change, and why did they change?

HWalsh wrote:They do want to kill everyone in Tolkeen.

Can't really say that in the present tense since it's not there anymore :)

HWalsh wrote:They want to kill everyone in the FoM.

I don't think there's any evidence of that.

If there was an innocent human village being ruled by a demon who tortured them, I think the CS might just want to kill the demon and free the humans.

HWalsh wrote:They want to kill everyone in Atlantis (if they knew about it).
They want to kill everyone in Lazlo.

Source for either of these? I think they could plausibly empathize with some innocent human slaves in either of these communities.

HWalsh wrote:They do nothing but kill and conquer

and farm, and build nurseries for babies, and provide medical care for the ailing elderly

HWalsh wrote:and they have no excuse for it

Does one need an excuse to reclaim a conquered home? To assert a living space where one was born, when one is surrounded by predators?

HWalsh wrote:So to say, "Erin Tarn lied, the CS are totally innocent." It just madness.

Nobody said that.

I was questioning if they had invaded Minnesota by 100 PA (the date specified in Tarn's letter) when an editor's note stated 101 PA (1 year later) directly contradicting the section heading.

Whether or not the CS were occupying Minnesota in 100PA is an entirely different issue from whether or not they were "totally innocent".

You gotta realize that's some serious goalpost shifting

HWalsh wrote:The point is that they don't do it to their own kind.

The Spluggs don't go around genociding other Splugs.

They murder each other if it's worth their while, just like humans.

The CS don't want mages opening portals for more demons to come through, they're seen as a danger, so mages get murdered because it's seen as worth the while.

It's not genocide to execute people for choosing a specific career path that presents a danger to an established order.

Orin J. wrote:the splugorth are just as guilty of all the evils the coalition are

More, really. The CS might occasionally employ D-Bees as slave labor or experiment upon them for science, but they don't for example, breed them as foodstock to live purely to be consumed by monsters.

Although I'm sure sadists slip through the cracks, I think the CS mostly would see torturing D-Bees for its own sake as a waste of resources and be alarmed with someone too fixated on doing that, since it distracts from more productive accomplishments.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:demons don't get an excuse of lack of free will.

We do gotta empathize somewhat with the ones whose names are known though, because that can be used to command them, so if they go on some kind of good deed spree, their overlord could just command them to stop and go commit more atrocities than usual to make up for it.

Knowing that is possible, I could see even a demon who wants to do good trying to do a certain minimum amount of evil to not stand out, since the ones who slack on doing evil will probably get singled out to be forced to commit the MOST evil.

IE imagine you are an Alu who doesn't like to eat gnome babies.

Balrog "Alu, I don't see any fresh gnome baby bones in your den this month, your brothers eat a fresh gnome baby every week! Do you think they are too cute to eat?"

Alu "no Balrog sir... I just... I just can't seem to find their burrows"

Balrog "ah Alu, I believe you, I empathize with you, so one of your brothers has found a den of TWELVE gnome babies for you to feast upon. Teleport there at once!"

Alu "my lord... I... I can't! I... won't!"

Balrog "ah but Alu... I know thy Name... thy are Malfeasance The Fanged ... I believe in you... and thou shalt feast upon those gnome babies NOW"

Alu *chomp* "so tender..." *slurp* "s... sorry for my disobedience sir..." *whimpers*

Balrog to other Alu "let this be a lesson to you all of my GENEROSITY"

if the lords can't make their soldiers ruthless at heart, they can at least keep them obediently ruthless knowing they can be forced into doing even worse atrocities should they quibble at moderate ones.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

My issues with the Coalition have as much to do with how they treat their own people as with how they treat others.

-State-sponsored ignorance of a people's own history is stupid, counterproductive, and evil.
-State-sponsored illiteracy is stupid, counterproductive, and evil.
-Censorship is bad.
-Authoritarianism and government based on a cult of personality is a terrible basis for a form of government.
-Anti-magic policies have eliminated the one technique that could actually allow them to control ley lines and nexus points (pyramids).

As for treating debees badly, I'm a bit more ambivalent. The sourcebooks feature many debees that are nasty, evil, and murderous, including many that love to pretend to be harmless or friendly. Presuming bad intentions will likely keep you alive longer than presuming good intentions will, especially when you're a nation of weak S.D.C. humans. I think the C.S.'s approach is objectively evil and ultimately counterproductive, but that's more due to them taking a suspicious approach to a murderous extreme.

I've always wanted to explore the C.S.'s ideological flipside of Lazlo. It's portrayed as an open community where all beings and ideas are welcome or at least tolerated. I know from a personal conversation with Kevin that it's not a utopia, and Aftermath describes it as having major crime and unemployment problems, largely due to the large influx of refugees. My own version of the city has three factions vying for power: one led by Plato that wants to relocate the refugees somewhere else and close off the city to undesireables, one led by the Cyber-Knight who wants to welcome and help everybody regardless of the cost, and a militant faction that wants to fight the C.S.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hotrod wrote:I've always wanted to explore the C.S.'s ideological flipside of Lazlo. It's portrayed as an open community where all beings and ideas are welcome or at least tolerated. I know from a personal conversation with Kevin that it's not a utopia, and Aftermath describes it as having major crime and unemployment problems, largely due to the large influx of refugees. My own version of the city has three factions vying for power: one led by Plato that wants to relocate the refugees somewhere else and close off the city to undesireables, one led by the Cyber-Knight who wants to welcome and help everybody regardless of the cost, and a militant faction that wants to fight the C.S.

The part that has the most disturbing potential to me is the "all ideas/philosophies are welcome," because that means they're cool with socializing with necromancers, witches, demons, and anything else that obeys (or pretends to obey) the laws.
To me, if a society is TOO open and welcoming to ideas, it ends up with dangerous factions gaining power as the society tolerates/welcomes even the most hideously evil ideas in with the bad.
If Lazlo was a person, his philosophy would be to eat EVERYTHING (or at least chew on it).
And that's a good way to get poisoned.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I've always wanted to explore the C.S.'s ideological flipside of Lazlo. It's portrayed as an open community where all beings and ideas are welcome or at least tolerated. I know from a personal conversation with Kevin that it's not a utopia, and Aftermath describes it as having major crime and unemployment problems, largely due to the large influx of refugees. My own version of the city has three factions vying for power: one led by Plato that wants to relocate the refugees somewhere else and close off the city to undesireables, one led by the Cyber-Knight who wants to welcome and help everybody regardless of the cost, and a militant faction that wants to fight the C.S.

The part that has the most disturbing potential to me is the "all ideas/philosophies are welcome," because that means they're cool with socializing with necromancers, witches, demons, and anything else that obeys (or pretends to obey) the laws.
To me, if a society is TOO open and welcoming to ideas, it ends up with dangerous factions gaining power as the society tolerates/welcomes even the most hideously evil ideas in with the bad.
If Lazlo was a person, his philosophy would be to eat EVERYTHING (or at least chew on it).

i recall somewhere that necromancy isn't exactly accepted, likewise the rule of "your right to throw a punch stops several inches before it strikes someone else" is in heavy effect but i don't know where, or really even where to start looking.

which is the REAL problem with lazlo, it's this vague undefined entity in spite of it being a major location in the setting. i get kev's argument, but at this point he's really just turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Orin J. wrote:...which is the REAL problem with lazlo, it's this vague undefined entity in spite of it being a major location in the setting. i get kev's argument, but at this point he's really just turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify.

Would you please elaborate? I'm not quite sure I understand your point here.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Hotrod wrote:
Orin J. wrote:...which is the REAL problem with lazlo, it's this vague undefined entity in spite of it being a major location in the setting. i get kev's argument, but at this point he's really just turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify.

the coalition, free quebec and the federation of magic are all defined and flesh out both in their good and bad points (such as they are) while lazlo and new lazlo just exist only in references to other groups. this means that we have this large faction that is only portrayed through the lens of other nations' bias. and....um, the other nations are massively biased.

(you could make an argument that erin tarn provides counter commentary there too but let's be honest she's painfully biased too, and far more vauge about things)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Orin J. wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

the coalition, free quebec and the federation of magic are all defined and flesh out both in their good and bad points (such as they are) while lazlo and new lazlo just exist only in references to other groups. this means that we have this large faction that is only portrayed through the lens of other nations' bias. and....um, the other nations are massively biased.

(you could make an argument that erin tarn provides counter commentary there too but let's be honest she's painfully biased too, and far more vauge about things)

Huh, I would say that the overall narrative bias in the published books is very much in favor of Lazlo, both in the parts attributed to Erin Tarn and the parts that are just the "God's eye view" description.

The part where I don't follow you is where you say Kevin is "turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify."
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Hotrod wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Huh, I would say that the overall narrative bias in the published books is very much in favor of Lazlo, both in the parts attributed to Erin Tarn and the parts that are just the "God's eye view" description.

The part where I don't follow you is where you say Kevin is "turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify."

oh, that. we get open condemnations from the various "evil" factions (particularly the CS, who seems to have something in every single books) against their enemies, but we have almost nothing about the "good" groups to refute or rebuke them. lazlo and new lazlo tend to be left ambiguous to the point of unusability, even if it means letting in-setting propaganda sit as the only known description of it. like the whole we're assuming the allow necromancy based on the CS' statements there.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Orin J. wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

i recall somewhere that necromancy isn't exactly accepted, likewise the rule of "your right to throw a punch stops several inches before it strikes someone else" is in heavy effect but i don't know where, or really even where to start looking.

Pretty sure I've never read about necromancy being banned in Lazlo.
If it IS, that makes them hypocrites, in that they're not really "open to all views and philosohphies."

And yeah, there are laws against punching people and such... but I wouldn't expect any laws about espousing philosophies that revolve around how good of an idea it is to punch, stab, or kill innocent people.

which is the REAL problem with lazlo, it's this vague undefined entity in spite of it being a major location in the setting. i get kev's argument, but at this point he's really just turning any "good" faction into a strawman for fascist opinions to vilify.

It's a double-edged sword.
In the vacuum we currently have, you're exactly right.
But at the same time, if Palladium ever did flesh out Lazlo... well, based on their track record the results wouldn't be very pretty.
Kind of like how the Jedi Knights were AWESOME in the original Star Wars trilogy, because we were told little about them... then the Prequel trilogy fleshed them out more, in all the wrong ways, and the Jedi ended up looking like a bunch of idiotic bureaucratic *******holes.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Axelmania
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:if Palladium ever did flesh out Lazlo... well, based on their track record the results wouldn't be very pretty.
Kind of like how the Jedi Knights were AWESOME in the original Star Wars trilogy, because we were told little about them... then the Prequel trilogy fleshed them out more, in all the wrong ways, and the Jedi ended up looking like a bunch of idiotic bureaucratic *******holes.

At least that would make them feel a little more real. While it might upset the 'assume the best' guys, for those of us who 'assume the worst' about whatever Plato is or is up to, it might take some of the wind out of our sales too.

If there's any precedent for thinking that Lazlo would ban Necromancy, it's that Dweomer bans it (whilst allowing DEMONS) and we have some kind of general impression that Lazlo is "more of a good guy" than Dweomer, though I can't specifically put my finger on why there is that sense.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:if Palladium ever did flesh out Lazlo... well, based on their track record the results wouldn't be very pretty.

At least that would make them feel a little more real. While it might upset the 'assume the best' guys, for those of us who 'assume the worst' about whatever Plato is or is up to, it might take some of the wind out of our sales too.

If there's any precedent for thinking that Lazlo would ban Necromancy, it's that Dweomer bans it (whilst allowing DEMONS) and we have some kind of general impression that Lazlo is "more of a good guy" than Dweomer, though I can't specifically put my finger on why there is that sense.

Dweomer is basically run by three guys who tell everybody else what to do, IIRC. And we don't ultimately know all of their goals.

Lazlo is run by a Council, which indicates more of a "let's hear everybody's ideas" kind of setup than Dweomer has.
That may be part of it.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:

That's the main reason Kevin hasn't. At this point, people have had so long to fill in their own ideas of what's going on in Lazlo, Nothing Kevin can write can ever make fans happy, because Kevin's idea is not going to quite match anyone else's headcannon and the result is everyone is going to be unhappy. So He's just never going to write it because the Lazlo that exists in your head will always be better than any Lazlo he can put to paper.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Unless I'm mistaken, Kevin announced something about an upcoming Lazlo book a month or two ago in his weekly update.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Hotrod wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Kevin announced something about an upcoming Lazlo book a month or two ago in his weekly update.

He said something about a Lazlo book in the 90's too.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

starting to think kevin has a few hundred "unfinished manuscripts" on his "desk" and he just works on whichever one is on top of the pile when housecleaning left on top after cleaning last night......
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Hotrod wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Kevin announced something about an upcoming Lazlo book a month or two ago in his weekly update.

You can wish on one hand, and poo in the other. We all know which one gets filled first...
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Without reading all posts...
Remember that much of Ms. Tarn's information comes from sources, not just personal knowledge.

Perhaps the information came from a source whom was not necessarily accurate.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Borast wrote:Without reading all posts...
Remember that much of Ms. Tarn's information comes from sources, not just personal knowledge.

Perhaps the information came from a source whom was not necessarily accurate.

Check out my little fan-fic in the middle of Page 1 of this thread. Great minds think alike.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Axelmania
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Lazlo is run by a Council, which indicates more of a "let's hear everybody's ideas" kind of setup than Dweomer has.
That may be part of it.

Yeah, although I think Tolkeen also had a Council and I'd rate them as potentially more evil than Dweomer, at least near the end.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:That's the main reason Kevin hasn't. At this point, people have had so long to fill in their own ideas of what's going on in Lazlo, Nothing Kevin can write can ever make fans happy, because Kevin's idea is not going to quite match anyone else's headcannon and the result is everyone is going to be unhappy. So He's just never going to write it because the Lazlo that exists in your head will always be better than any Lazlo he can put to paper.

He could continue to ignore Lazlo and just give us "New Lazlo" then, I'd be happy with that TBH.

https://palladiumbooks.com/about-pallad ... il-23-2020
"Palladium will maintain its release schedule and intends to have Rifts® Bestiary Volume Two and a whole bunch of other titles ready for release at that time, including the Rifts® Lazlo™ Raw Preview."

Page 149 of Heroes of Humanity implies there will be TWO.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:He said something about a Lazlo book in the 90's too.

90s or '90s...

Do you recall if this was in one of the books, or just online?

Return to “Rifts®”