Has anybody done anything with the Galapagos?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Has anybody done anything with the Galapagos?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

In canon, there's the robot from SA2, but I'm not seeing any further development. Am I missing anything in canon?

Has anybody developed them in fanon?
Dan403
Newb

Re: Has anybody done anything with the Galapagos?

Unread post by Dan403 »

Underwater?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nope.
The human presence there in the here-and-now is barely subsistence and dependent on tourism. During the Golden Age, I'd see the emphasis on preserving the biodiversity of the islands; that might come with some effort to make the human settlements there more self-contained and non-polluting, like super-solar collectors(no nukes).
So I don't see anything really sprouting up there in way of civilization.
Unless you want to run a Ley line/nexus Into it, or have d-bees settle there. The most likely outside force to find it would probably be Lemurian scouts, or might establish an outpost.

If this were After the Bomb, on the other hand, you could have fun with super-intelligent mutant tortoises, mutant finches, marine iguanas, and crabs.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given how high the seas rose, odds are there isn't too much of the islands above water anymore.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:given how high the seas rose, odds are there isn't too much of the islands above water anymore.

To quote Donald Sutherland's character from Kelley's Heroes; "Think positive vibes!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The maps from Underseas show that there's some influence from agents of the Lord of the Deep and Cetaceans along the coast of Ecuador. Similarly, the Galapagos is rather close to Tritonia's general area, and Lemuria's increased activity in the Vampire Kingdoms could benefit from use of the waters beneath the Galapagos as a possible staging area. The relative proximity to the northern reaches of the Empire of the Sun, itself separated by the Arkhons from its compatriots, suggest a possible interest in the region. This could be accentuated by incorporating the apocryphal 15th century accounts of the Topa Inca Yupanqui Pacific Expedition, which were alleged to have visited islands ranging from the Galapagos all the way to Rapa Nui.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

thorr-kan wrote:In canon, there's the robot from SA2, but I'm not seeing any further development. Am I missing anything in canon?

Has anybody developed them in fanon?

Not that I am aware of. The GATV-5 Galapagos Robot (WB9 pg177-9) is from part of the word I don't think we've really used.

taalismn wrote:If this were After the Bomb, on the other hand, you could have fun with super-intelligent mutant tortoises, mutant finches, marine iguanas, and crabs.

This is Rifts, we can do that stuff to depending on the angle one is looking for:
-mutant animals in SA (in both SA 1 and 2) and Underseas (Tritonia) and North America
-they could also be D-Bees or D-Bee mutants (from AtB or HU) that are related
-Gene Splicer experiment site
-Ley Line Mutations
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Thanks for the opinions, folks. Keep them coming.

I'm toying with a microsetting that requires isolation and a fragmented landmass. The Galapagos fit the latter, but not so much the former. They're really close to South America; closer than I remembered before reading up on them.

I, too, thought about rising sea levels. But Easter Island actually got bigger according to Rifts Lemuria. Since the Galapagos are over a triple-plate-boundary and a magma hotspot, I can see the same thing happening there. A little rough on the current residents and biodiversity, but thems the breaks in the apocalypse.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

thorr-kan wrote:Thanks for the opinions, folks. Keep them coming.

I'm toying with a microsetting that requires isolation and a fragmented landmass.

Pick a place that used to be a non-fragmented landmass, but that became fragmented when the ocean levels rose.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:Thanks for the opinions, folks. Keep them coming.

I'm toying with a microsetting that requires isolation and a fragmented landmass.

Pick a place that used to be a non-fragmented landmass, but that became fragmented when the ocean levels rose.

Galapagos fit for a number of thematic reasons, including bio-diversity, physical layout, and proximity to existing ley lines and nexuses. But they might be *too* close to existing powers.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Thanks everybody who contributed.

Return to “Rifts®”