Bursting with Pulses using Semi-Aumatic fire?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Bursting with Pulses using Semi-Aumatic fire?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Reading some of the RUE description of pulses firing so quickly as if it were a single-shot...

...and especially with pulses now being able to do called shots (unlike bursts... in the past I think neither could because pulses were a subset of bursts)...

I got thinking... if a pulse has moved toward single-shot in territory from it's burst-adjacent origins...

Was there a point in time where we might read a 'standard' or 'aimed, burst wild' ROF for a pulse weapon as to mean that burst multipliers could be used not just on the single-shot setting but also on the pulse setting?

Like for example, on a 2D6/shot 6D6/pulse weapon...
6D6x2 on a short-burst on pulse setting? (I pick that because the x2 is consistent from RMB>RCB and didn't diminish like long/full multipliers)

I recall vaguely perhaps something brought up about being unable to fire normal (short/long/full) bursts when using pulse weapons but I can't remember what year that was added and am curious if there was a gap prior to that when we might have read these ideas as cumulative.

The idea of 'bursting with a burst' (back when pulses were bursts) brings up questions of payload. It would seem wrong to use the same % of your clip if you were firing so many more shots, right?

But on the other hand, a JA-12 or NG-43 use the same % (a single shot) regardless of which setting they're on. As did the Wilks Laser Torch and Wilks Laser Wand. So if they can have a fixed consumption of clip % by single-shot usage at varying damage, it could be plausible that in some cases bursting with a triple pulse might use the same as bursting with a single shot.

The idea as it relates to the title is if a switch alters the response to a single trigger pull as being a triple-pulse, what happens if someone does multiple trigger pulls in a single action. Revolvers aren't semi-auto presumably because you need to thumb the hammer to chamber the next round (I don't think Palladium did fanning rules?) and I don't know of pulse weapons to have hammers to thumb which would impede the speed of multiple trigger pulls per second as with semi-auto weapons.
foilfodder
Explorer

Re: Bursting with Pulses using Semi-Aumatic fire?

Unread post by foilfodder »

The idea of "bursting with a burst" would only work if:
1) the weapon states it is capable of semi-auto fire rules AND pulse fire
2) you pick and choose from two different rulesets.

A) RUE edition which pulse bursts are more accurate, but the Short Burst/Long Burst rules were not included in that book's combat section.

B) The earlier (original) Rifts rulebook, which includes rules for semi-auto short burst = x2 damage, but pulses are considered less accurate and cannot be used with Called Shots.

Like mixing 1st and 2nd editions for Heroes Unlimited, Robotech, or Palladium Fantasy. You can do it if you really want to, but it is much simpler to pick one rulebook.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!

Return to “Rifts®”