Rcc clarification.. is there any

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zexsis
D-Bee

Rcc clarification.. is there any

Unread post by zexsis »

I was reading the rcc of psi ghist and saw it said humans only then at the end it states some major or master psychics are taught to be psi ghosts. These kind of statements are confusing and just about negate the "only" statement. Im curious if any official clarifications have been given for rcc, and pccs as far as adding, applying, using them for chaeacter creation.

Examples: Could a master psychic atlantean be a psi ghost? Could you add psi ghost to a mind melter and then reclass to psi operator or psi techno wizard? If intangibility is a mutant abberation yhen could you simply create mutations for other races and give them abilities.

(Ya i get you can do whatever gm says is acceptable but where is official statement. If none then what are your thoughts?)
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Rcc clarification.. is there any

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Could a master psychic atlantean be a psi ghost? Yes if that's his Master Psychic class.

Could you add psi ghost to a mind melter and then reclass to psi operator or psi techno wizard? No for either one, a Mind Melter is focused on being a Mind Melter and couldn't become a Psi-Ghost, let alone then take up being a Psi-Tech or Techno Wizard.

If intangibility is a mutant abberation yhen could you simply create mutations for other races and give them abilities. Yes? Maybe? It would be more like making a mutant character from Heroes Unlimited for that race.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
zexsis
D-Bee

Unread post by zexsis »

Thanks for the response, however, Psi ghost is an RCC, not an OCC, and intangibility is stated as a mutation, not a psi power which is why I mentioned creating other mutations(new races essentially).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Basically, my view is that a young Master Psionic has several career paths to choose from. They might choose to be a Mind Melter. With proper training, they might become a psi-ghost, or a Burner* with the correct stimuli.

*I honestly cannot recall if that's the correct term. Burster?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

It almost goes without saying that changes in nomenclature for psionic classes have not been that standardized. PCC/RCC/OCC have all been used, sometimes simultaneously.

Secrets of the Atlanteans p49 states that Atlanteans can be Master Psionic OCCs, including OCCs that were previously considered only available to mutant humans (psi-ghost) or near-human d-bees (mind bleeder). Psi-Stalkers are not explicitly mentioned. Psi-Stalkers, however, can be OCCs other than the RCC skillset in RUE, which is the closest comparison I know of to a natural-born Psi-Ghost training as something else. There is arguably some ambiguity as to handle specific Psi-Stalker conversions. There are examples of P-S taking non-psychic OCCs like Coalition ISS/NT-SET, for which, one presumes, the psionic abilities are kept as-is. Psyscape p83 mentions that some P-S are in fact mutant Psi-Nullifiers and Nega Psychics, in which case only the skills of the P-S RCC are retained, and all abilities are replaced. New West mentions P-S Psi-Slingers, and there is mention of a P-S Cyber Knight (Siege of Tolkeen?), but conversion specifics for those are not given. People have proposed various interpretations, such as the dietary/basic sensory RCC abilities should be retained in cases of a P-S taking a different class, but losing RCC bonuses and psionic selections.

As for making up new species/mutations, take a look at the Alien creation guidelines in Phase World, or Heroes/Aliens Unlimited. One can finagle a super ability/psionics combination well enough. Was there something in particular you were looking to create, Zexsis?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

zexsis wrote:I was reading the rcc of psi ghist and saw it said humans only then at the end it states some major or master psychics are taught to be psi ghosts. These kind of statements are confusing and just about negate the "only" statement. Im curious if any official clarifications have been given for rcc, and pccs as far as adding, applying, using them for chaeacter creation.

Examples: Could a master psychic atlantean be a psi ghost? Could you add psi ghost to a mind melter and then reclass to psi operator or psi techno wizard? If intangibility is a mutant abberation yhen could you simply create mutations for other races and give them abilities.

(Ya i get you can do whatever gm says is acceptable but where is official statement. If none then what are your thoughts?)

Pardon me but I'm going to be very blunt in the following.

Spoiler:
While other humans can be the PCC of the Psi-Ghost they would not have the Intangibility super-power. That is why the class in it's inception is a RCC. The Intangibility super-power is inheirited.

Now I would like to say that once a Psi chooses a path --a.k.a. PCC-- it is night impossible for that char to change from that PCC because the path they choose follows the nature of the char's character. (much like how a talker becomes a motivational speeker or another speeking job) Thus to put a clarification in to the idea mix here...Taking what was said about who can take the class and some core knowledge about how Psi's burned through their Perm PPE to develop their powers.....
(yes, I've been playing the PB system a long, long time. So I know where things came from and how PB has ""made things more accessible"".

It is possible for a char with a master level potential to choose to learn the psichic powers of a Psi-Ghost. So if the race has the potential to become a master psi then you could make a Psi-Ghost PCC from them.

Back to intagibility...Yes, someone could create a formula/serum/radiation treatment or some other experiment to give a subject intangibility....but that scrubs the subject of their ability of gaining any other sort of powers except what was given to them though the prossess. Please read the rules for this in the HU RPG core book.

If you are going to try to add things to a existing char then read the rules about mutating living things in the ATB core book.
The basics are that mutaing someone or some animal whipes the slate clean of the natural abilities they had.

Then there is the uniqueness value of having the Psi-Ghosts being the only ones the can be Psi-Ghosts. I know PB has been ""changing"" things to be ""more accessable"" for new players. But once you say 'Yah, sure. This other race/people can do the same thing." the uniqueness of the class becomes rubish/moot/might as well not made it unique in the first place.
So it is like a 'hostage value'. It is only good if the uniqueness/hostage is still alive.
*shrugs*

If your GM says you can make up a Psi-Ghost out of a custum race, that is his or her due right under the 1st and 2nd rules of RPGs.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I am going to say there is always the GM rule 1 -2 option with that said.

there are several long running (practically the entire length of the game) arguements because the writing/phrasing is not very good in a lot of ways.

I personally am more open on the possibility, but that might be because the main GM for my group was flexible, and in many cases was pretty loose.
On the other hand I get the impression that there are a lot of people out there that unless something is explicitly allowed its is not allowed.

this is what my observations are.
it also is what brings up arguements about Rcc's Occs and other arbitrary class types
Bladedancer13
D-Bee

Unread post by Bladedancer13 »

This is how look at it. If a race has more than one option for taking a class, then they can take any class that they are specifically not restricted from. In this case Psi-Stalkers are banned from taking any magic OCCs. Some races cannot take any OCC other than what is provided in the description of that race, ie Dragon Hatchlings from the Main Book.

However, due to Palladium's inconsistent and often times, out right conflicting stances on what actually is a RCC and what is simply a race has lead to GMs having to make the call themselves. Thus you get a different ruling at every "table" which simply adds to further conclusion.

What do we know about the Psi-Stalker when it comes to classes? Well they are listed in several locations as being able to take numerous classes. Most of those class options have psychic abilities to some degree, ie Cyberknights, Psi-Slingers amongst others. What we don't have is a definitive ruling on what abilities they loose when taking any OCC that is not listed under their race in the main book, either version. What we do know is that both the civilized and the wild Psi-Stalkers both retain all of their abilities in both instances with the only difference is a perception bonus in the RUE listing under the wild Psi-Stalker.

The matter of what races can be Psi-Stalkers has even changed from just being a mutation in the original main book to being specifically a human mutation in RUE. Once again I point to the inconsistencies of classification of species vs class. So due to the inane nature of classifications of what is a class and what is a race, we are all simply left to fend for ourselves. Thus what works at one table and is noting overpowered might be considered illegal at another.

So we can either all come to an agreement, anyone who has been gaming for any amount of time knows the chances of that, or we can try to come up with a rating system as a community and then start cataloging ever race in the game. This however, would come very close to, if not outright, violating Palladium's policies on such things. Simplified version of the above, if a race can choose more than one class option, then it should be considered a race and not a class. If it cannot choose a class different from what every other member of it's species has, then it's a racial class, thus what I would consider, a proper "Racial Character Class".

Return to “Rifts®”