Any desire for a multi-versal mass combat system?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Is there any interest in a Multiversal mass combat system

Yes
57%
No
29%
Yes, IF it is free
14%
Absolutely NOT, even if it is free
No votes

Total votes: 14

slade the sniper
Hero

Any desire for a multi-versal mass combat system?

Unread post by slade the sniper »

If so, what would you want it to do (incorporate)?

How simple/abstract would you want it to be?

Would you want it to be built on the same sort of system that the normal cult/mercenary/group building that is "common" in other Palladium games?

If you would not want a mass combat system, why not?

-STS

P.S. I am already aware of the combat rules in Rifter #23.
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: Any desire for a multi-versal mass combat system?

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I'm fine with simple and abstract, as long as it can still fairly accurately represent the abilities of the group of mercs it represents. I love me some mass combat, but most systems are kind of unwieldy for that, so I just kind of make up my own for the situation
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:I'm fine with simple and abstract, as long as it can still fairly accurately represent the abilities of the group of mercs it represents. I love me some mass combat, but most systems are kind of unwieldy for that, so I just kind of make up my own for the situation

I would love to see someone create a good one but I agree with Cap that most of what I have seen are unwieldy, poorly represent the armies involved, or in many cases both.

I use a lot of mass combat in my games already but I just do it by grouping weaker enemies, or allies, into groups of 3 to 10 for purposes of initiative and sometimes even movement. If I'm prepared with mass combat sheets before the game I can move a battle involving 25 or so weaker enemies (zombies, CS troops, Invid, Zentraedi, TGE soldiers) as fast as a battle with 4 or 5 tougher, more individualized opponents.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Wait, what was wrong with Modern Army Combat from Rifter #23? Rifter #22 had the Medieval Army Combat Rules. Both work reasonably well once you get used to how they work. They aren't perfect, but nothing ever is.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

torjones wrote:Wait, what was wrong with Modern Army Combat from Rifter #23? Rifter #22 had the Medieval Army Combat Rules. Both work reasonably well once you get used to how they work. They aren't perfect, but nothing ever is.

I had forgotten about these and I barrowed a lot of rules from them so thanks for the reminder.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
slade the sniper
Hero

torjones wrote:Wait, what was wrong with Modern Army Combat from Rifter #23? Rifter #22 had the Medieval Army Combat Rules. Both work reasonably well once you get used to how they work. They aren't perfect, but nothing ever is.

Nothing is wrong with them, hence why I mentioned them in my first post.

I kinda think that they are a bit overly complicated...especially for a lot of "off camera" battles. It is like playing a tactical wargame, but with none of the good stuff such as maps and zones of control.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'd like to see multiple mass-combat systems: a tactical battle system (like Warhammer 40k), a naval/space battle system (X-Wing Tabletop/Armada/Battlefleet Gothic), and a strategic turn-based system (like RISK).
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
slade the sniper
Hero

Hotrod wrote:I'd like to see multiple mass-combat systems: a tactical battle system (like Warhammer 40k), a naval/space battle system (X-Wing Tabletop/Armada/Battlefleet Gothic), and a strategic turn-based system (like RISK).

I think was supposed to be a Rifts TT wargame, but there were issues and the forum is locked now. Just having a bare bones skeleton system would be good enough to extrapolate a lot of megaversal stuff.

I think the biggest issue is the range. A lot of older TT games had similar issues, but with 100m+ hexes it shouldn't be that difficult. Plus, a lot of the "special powers" of PC's really don't seem to be that game breaking on a platoon+ level game, and certainly not in a strategic sense. When it comes down to it, a lot of super-powers (at least at the scale of HU) really just make PC's the equivalent of high end attack helicopters, fighters and tanks. Considering that modern tech is definitely on par with a lot of those powers in a damage dealing/range/durability sense, superheroes/PCs are more of a high powered tactical option.

Ok, now I am just rambling...

-STS
ShonicBurn
D-Bee

Unread post by ShonicBurn »

Strangely enough my rpg group ripped the mass combat system right out of the Song of ice and fire rpg. It requires your group to form a “house” or as we call it a unit and it makes like type forces attack on the same initiative against large spreads. It’s fun for doing war with the larger nations.versus larger nations maneuvers and formations are also an important part of the system. The best part of the ice and fire system though it gave intelligence only characters powers for commanding their army and it allowed power players to contribute to individual fronts each round.
slade the sniper
Hero

Ok, question...what scale would be most advantageous for a Rifts/megaversal mass combat system? I am thinking somewhere around 200m to 300m per hex/inch in order to keep the ranges somewhat viable and generally keep a PC group together (if they are on the board at all). I was thinking 100m per hex as a minimum. Anyway, opinions?

-STS
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

slade the sniper wrote:Ok, question...what scale would be most advantageous for a Rifts/megaversal mass combat system? I am thinking somewhere around 200m to 300m per hex/inch in order to keep the ranges somewhat viable and generally keep a PC group together (if they are on the board at all). I was thinking 100m per hex as a minimum. Anyway, opinions?

-STS

I've never written a mass combat system personally, but would there be a way to make it scalable without much effort to allow more flexibility depending on the size of the combat taking place? If this is WAY too much effort, I would go for a slightly more granular 100m personally.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
slade the sniper
Hero

I have already made the game numerically scalable all the way up to roughly Corps level. I am working on making the combat ranges scalable with little maps that will be 1m squares, 10m squares, 100m squares, 1 km squares, etc. all the way up to 100,000 km squares for "space combat." The hard part is actually working out the "time scale." 15 second time scale makes it Megaversal, but it is actually a LONG time when you are keeping track of multiple combatants. I actually want to cut it down to 3 seconds so that everyone can do 1 thing at a time. Move Fast or Shoot Well, or Move slowly and Shoot poorly. Once you shift scale it gets really difficult, however.

I can't quite figure out how to "stack units" (add A squad to B company)...at a company level, an extra squad isn't really all that helpful (a +~8% manpower and combat power at best) and unless you go full on tactical doesn't mean much.

I don't know, trying to "mix" a fully tactical game along with an operational game is kinda painful right now.

-STS

Return to “Rifts®”