First Draft of my new Professional Athlete OCC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

First Draft of my new Professional Athlete OCC

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Here's the first version of a new OCC for any SDC or MDC setting. Letting me know what you think and what should be changed if any from the new class. 8)

Professional Athlete
An optional NPC and OCC for Rifts and other Palladium RPG’s.
A professional athlete has existed in societies on Rift’s Earth from before the Roman times. Ancient Atlantis was rumored to be the first society where it was possible to earn a living playing sports. Of course such a career was quite common from the 20th century up to the time of the cataclysm. Afterwards, well not so much….
I am making this class a tad generic so that it could be fit into a wide variety of setting sdc and mdc. I’m sure the type of athletes could vary widely when we take Rifts Earth and the Three Galaxies into consideration.
That said, professional athletes do have certain abilities that are unique to their careers.
1. Ability Score Increase: As an athlete gains a new level of experience he can add +1 to either his P.S., P.P, P.E., or +2 to his SPD score.
2. Sponsorship: As an athlete grows in experience he attracted not only attention from fans, but from those who wish to profit from his fame. I will leave the exact of amount of wealth and privileges he receives up to the individual D.M.
O.C.C. Bonuses:
4d6 to S.D.C.
+2 M.A. (Have to appeal to the fans.)
+2 to P.P., +3 to P.S., +3 to P.E., and +6 to SPD score.
+2 to perception rolls, +3 to roll with punch.
+3 to save vs. horror factor ( Have to put up with agents and some fans.)
Alignment: Any

Attribute Requirements: A P.S., P.E., and P.P. of 12 or higher is required. An above average SPD is also desirable.

Racial Restrictions: None

For all skills Don’t forget to add in the I.Q. bonus if applicable.

O.C.C. Skills:
Language (Native): 98%
Literacy (Native): +10%
Math: Basic
Computer Operation: +10%
Domestic Skill of choice: +10%
Wardrobe & Grooming: +20% (Have to look good for the fans.)
Public Speaking +10%
Performance: +20%
First Aid: +10%
Athletics General
Boxing or Wrestling
Body Building
Running
Swimming
HTH Basic: Can choose Expert at the cost of one OCC related skill or Martial Arts for 2 skills.

Can choose 2 non-military pilot skills of choice.
2 ancient and 2 modern weapon proficiencies of choice.

O.C.C. Related Skills: Can select 8 other skills of choice, plus 2 additional at level 3 and 5, with 1additional at levels 7, 9, and 12. All new skills start at level 1 proficiency.

Communications: Radio basic, Language and Literacy at +10%, Sign Language only.
Cowboy: None
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: Basic Only
Espionage: Disguise (+20%) Have to hide from the fans.
Horsemanship: General Only.
Mechanical: Basic or auto only
Medical: None
Military: None
Physical: Any (+30) where applicable.
Pilot: Any non-military.
Pilot Related: Navigation and Read Sensory Equipment.
Rogue: Gambling (+15%), Seduction (+20%), Streetwise (+10%)
Science: None
Technical: Any
W.P.: Any
Wilderness: None

Secondary Skills: Can select 4 skills at level 1 and an additional skill at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15.

Standard Equipment:

Besides the equipment provided the team or organization that they are with. The athlete who is starting out has a modest apartment to live in the “good” section of town. A recent civilian compact car, hover car, motorcycle or hover cycle. That’s 1 total, not one of each.
The athlete also has a selection of causal and formal wear, person items and consumer electronics.

They may have plain clothes armor and a side arm for personal defense. Said side arm, sdc or energy weapon is usually registered with the local authorities.

Money: An athlete starting out has 6d6x100 credits and personal items worth 3d6x1000 credits if sold.

Cybernetic Implants: None to start and may not be allowed in the athlete’s chosen sport.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: First Draft of my new Professional Athlete OCC

Unread post by Orin J. »

I feel like they should have another required "choice" of physical skills or two reflecting what actual sport they're a professional in..... i suggest replacing the bodybuilding and boxing/wrestling with "choose two" at the bonuses you put in for them later, since like, a LOT of professional sports don't use that sort of training (have you seen figure skaters?)
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Here is the updated version. With changes in color.

Professional Athlete
An optional NPC and OCC for Rifts and other Palladium RPG’s.
A professional athlete has existed in societies on Rift’s Earth from before the Roman times. Ancient Atlantis was rumored to be the first society where it was possible to earn a living playing sports. Of course such a career was quite common from the 20th century up to the time of the cataclysm. Afterwards, well not so much….
I am making this class a tad generic so that it could be fit into a wide variety of setting sdc and mdc. I’m sure the type of athletes could vary widely when we take Rifts Earth and the Three Galaxies into consideration.
That said, professional athletes do have certain abilities that are unique to their careers.
1. Ability Score Increase: As an athlete gains a new level of experience he can add +1 to either his P.S., P.P, P.E., or +2 to his SPD score.
2. Sponsorship: As an athlete grows in experience he attracted not only attention from fans, but from those who wish to profit from his fame. I will leave the exact of amount of wealth and privileges he receives up to the individual D.M.
O.C.C. Bonuses:
4d6 to S.D.C.
+2 M.A. (Have to appeal to the fans.)
+2 to P.P., +3 to P.S., +3 to P.E., and +6 to SPD score.
+2 to perception rolls, +3 to roll with punch.
+3 to save vs. horror factor ( Have to put up with agents and some fans.)
Alignment: Any

Attribute Requirements: A P.S., P.E., and P.P. of 12 or higher is required. An above average SPD is also desirable.

Racial Restrictions: None

For all skills Don’t forget to add in the I.Q. bonus if applicable.

O.C.C. Skills:
Language (Native): 98%
Literacy (Native): +10%
Math: Basic
Computer Operation: +10%
Domestic Skill of choice: +10%
Wardrobe & Grooming: +20% (Have to look good for the fans.)
Public Speaking +10%
Performance: +20%
First Aid: +10%
Athletics General
Running
Gymnastics or Acrobatics (+20%)
Choose 2 physical skills of choice (+20%)

Swimming
HTH Basic: Can choose Expert at the cost of one OCC related skill or Martial Arts for 2 skills.

Can choose 2 non-military pilot skills of choice.
2 ancient and 2 modern weapon proficiencies of choice.

O.C.C. Related Skills: Can select 8 other skills of choice, plus 2 additional at level 3 and 5, with 1additional at levels 7, 9, and 12. All new skills start at level 1 proficiency.

Communications: Radio basic, Language and Literacy at +10%, Sign Language only.
Cowboy: None
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: Basic Only
Espionage: Disguise (+20%) Have to hide from the fans.
Horsemanship: General Only.
Mechanical: Basic or auto only
Medical: None
Military: None
Physical: Any (+30) where applicable.
Pilot: Any non-military.
Pilot Related: Navigation and Read Sensory Equipment.
Rogue: Gambling (+15%), Seduction (+20%), Streetwise (+10%)
Science: None
Technical: Any
W.P.: Any
Wilderness: None

Secondary Skills: Can select 4 skills at level 1 and an additional skill at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15.

Standard Equipment:

Besides the equipment provided the team or organization that they are with. The athlete who is starting out has a modest apartment to live in the “good” section of town. A recent civilian compact car, hover car, motorcycle or hover cycle. That’s 1 total, not one of each.
The athlete also has a selection of causal and formal wear, person items and consumer electronics.

They may have plain clothes armor and a side arm for personal defense. Said side arm, sdc or energy weapon is usually registered with the local authorities.

Money: An athlete starting out has 6d6x100 credits and personal items worth 3d6x1000 credits if sold.

Cybernetic Implants: None to start and may not be allowed in the athlete’s chosen sport.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

You may want to limit how many times PP can be enhanced on level-up, if not all the stats (perhaps no more than 5 times).
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Figured it was one of those superhero games type classes and meant to be a bit over the top. Anyways, much more flexible and suited to the role now. You could probably have done away with the additional stat bonuses just for leveling themselves given that that kinda thing is pretty well covered under all the athletic skills they have access to, but i assume OP ran some suitable leveling tests.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Orin J. wrote: a LOT of professional sports don't use that sort of training (have you seen figure skaters?)

And the fictional examples where this MIGHT be true are the exception rather than the rule(remember Martial Arts Figure Skating from Ranma 1/2? And I think I recall a GEICO ad that featured combination ice hockey/ballet----points with scoring a goal with a triple lutz). :)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Hate to say this but the offical Pro Athlete Is the Pro Combat Athlete in the Aliens Unlimited:Galaxy Guide.

Yes,some people would bring up that it is a Skill Program as offically presented. But it has conversion notes to use the SP as a OCC.

And, if I am remebering right, that is a sports OCC in one of the austraila books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Hate to say this but the offical Pro Athlete Is the Pro Combat Athlete in the Aliens Unlimited:Galaxy Guide.

Yes,some people would bring up that it is a Skill Program as offically presented. But it has conversion notes to use the SP as a OCC.

And, if I am remebering right, that is a sports OCC in one of the austraila books.

The Sportsman OCC is indeed from Australia, p. 115 to 119. I quite like the presentation of the class, actually, as it is designed to represent different professional focuses by sport.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

In addition to the above, the Physical Training superhero template exists in Heroes Unlimited, and the Juicer Gladiator O.C.C. in Juicer Uprising is basically this in the Rifts North America setting.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Id make them MDC
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Kagashi wrote:Id make them MDC

So you'd make them as a mystical (magic/psionic/chi powered) pro Athlete?
Or do you mean that they are still mundane chars and are just MDC cause they took the class? Not even the mundane Titan Jucier is MDC just because they have their class w/o any mystic augmentation.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I mean, why not? The dude grew up in a world where there are dragons and power armors more powerful than 20th century divisions. And he chose to be a pro athlete...in a world where sports consist of deadball and gladiators. The dude BETTER have MDC. Its not like the people of Rifts are watching baseball..unless you have to fight the person at the base...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kagashi wrote:I mean, why not? The dude grew up in a world where there are dragons and power armors more powerful than 20th century divisions. And he chose to be a pro athlete...in a world where sports consist of deadball and gladiators. The dude BETTER have MDC. Its not like the people of Rifts are watching baseball..unless you have to fight the person at the base...

Are we sure Juicer Sports and gladiators are the only sports around?

WB20 Canada pg 36 has skills for "Ice Skating (professional versions for figure and Ice Hockey), "Snow Skiing (pro versions for own hill, cross-country, snowboarding, jump)

WB20 Canada pg76 "Sports Night" mentions a semi pro hockey league (including teams from outside the city), but also of note "Other entertainment includes baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and curling, as well as figure skating, concerts, displays of magic, amateur sports and special events."

WB14 New West pg62-6 covers Rifts Rodeos (Riding contests, Roping Contests, Shooting events, plus racing and types of wrestling), which might qualify as sports.

A case might exist for these to be "regional" things, but it does appear that Juicer Sports and Gladiator-types are not the only sport in North America. Other examples might also exist in other books.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Kagashi wrote:I mean, why not? The dude grew up in a world where there are dragons and power armors more powerful than 20th century divisions. And he chose to be a pro athlete...in a world where sports consist of dead-ball and gladiators. The dude BETTER have MDC. Its not like the people of Rifts are watching baseball..unless you have to fight the person at the base...

That would kill off the idea of MDC to just be SDC. Might as well as not have the two different values. So do you want Rifts to turn into HU...or PFRPG? where there is just one value?

What you are proposing is something like Jean-Baptiste Lamarck's theory of evolution.

Or even that the only ones that can choose this class are already MDC. As such you are saying this class is really a RCC. Restricted to just those creatures that are already MDC.

Then there are the presumption that the Only Sports are the Juicer Sports that were invented for the game.

Maybe applying critical thinking to the idea that humans can be made into supers just because they took a job.

Post Script: While WW humans are MDC, it is their magic filled environment that turned them MDC. visiting humans don't turn MDC while there. And I really doubt the progeny of WW humans would be MDC if born & raised away from WW.

Return to “Rifts®”