art in Rifts books which depict grappling?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

art in Rifts books which depict grappling?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 43 of the Game Master Guide has this cool pic by Breaux of a guy in Dead Boy armor sitting atop this cute D-Bee mage and using his right hand to grab her ponytail to pull her head back as his left arm winds up to stab her with 3 forearm-mounted vibro-claws built into his armor...

It looks pretty cool and got me thinking about "I really wish there were mechanics for this type of thing" and I'm trying to remember other artistic works included in books which could evoke similar imagination regarding making combat more interesting.

I suppose the closest thing you could get to this would be if someone tried to headbutt you, if you used Entangle to defend then you would be grappling the head? I kinda doubt that a mage would try to headbutt someone in Dead Boy armor though, so Entangle perhaps should be allowed as an attack too, like Disarm, where a success means you control that body part... though I'm not sure exactly what that would mean. Perhaps they should get penalties to defend so long as they are in an Entangle?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: art in Rifts books which depict grappling?

Unread post by Orin J. »

pretty sure the grappling rules in ninjas and superspies translates over just fine. that ought to cover you.
Axelmania
Knight

Would you consider hair-grabbing to fall under some kind of Neck Lock?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Would you consider hair-grabbing to fall under some kind of Neck Lock?

It's not the neck, so no.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Would you consider hair-grabbing to fall under some kind of Neck Lock?

mechanically, i'd say from experience with my hair that it works the same, excepting you can't squeeze their hair for damage like with a neck lock.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

mechanically, i'd say from experience with my hair that it works the same, excepting you can't squeeze their hair for damage like with a neck lock.

Which is why it's not a neck lock. it's a hair grab, which is undefined in mechanics, but definatly not a neck lock.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Which is why it's not a neck lock. it's a hair grab, which is undefined in mechanics, but definatly not a neck lock.

-Which is why i was suggesting how he could build it in the mechanics?
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Sounds more like a kink than a combat manoever if you ask me
Axelmania
Knight

All I know is that if you whip your hair back and forth and attempt to strike your opponent with your ponytail, he can technically use an Entangle against it.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i might count it as possible against a headbutt, too.

Return to “Rifts®”