Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

Do creatures from the Rifts Bestiary books count as Animals?
No, they are not normal animals indigenous to earth like lions, tigers and bears (oh my)! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Some are, such as the dinosaurs and beast-like creatures such as the Azhure, but things like the Aqua Hydra, Black Faerie, Black-Winged Monster Men should not count. 100%  100%  [ 8 ]
Yes, it specifically states in the intro of the book that these creatures are animals and not supernatural monsters or creatures of magic! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:50 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"
Just got my copy of the Rifts Bestiary Ones (and loving it) and was wondering what people's thoughts were on the implications for practitioners of magic using the various animal related spells, specifically: Repel Animals, Influence the Beast, Metamorphosis: Animal, Tame Beast and Summon and Control Animals?

The way the book is introduced the creatures are "natural" beasts, although from the Rifts or another timeline (like dinosaurs). For example the Agenor River Serpent is listed as getting a +3 to save vs. the Repel Animal spell, so the spell does work on it, though less so with its natural bonus.

So can my Ley Line Walker now transform into an Aqua Hydra with the Metamorphosis Animal spell even though it can speak, cast spells and is dragon like (though officially not a dragon and hates real dragons?).

How about my Shifter summoning a herd of Ankylosaurus, Black Faeries or Black-Winged Monster-Men with Summon and Control Animals?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Wanderer

my personal policy is "animal" is something in line with a normal earth animal in terms of relative abilities and stats, so i always handle them on a case by case basis when GMing. of course i also require the caster of a spell to know what the crap he's summoning or whatever so i'll make him do a skill check against whatever most relevant skill he has to recall enough to summon the right thing. no summoning one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eaters because you like the song!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Knight

The book at least does a pretty good job about talking about controllability for a lot of the stuff by shifters and psi stalkers. Honestly for the animal intelligence critters I think those spells pretty much should work unless it states otherwise in the description. Some of the stuff is called out as basically being uncontrollable so you could summon it but it's pretty much just going to freak out and attack you.