Rifts armor materials vs Robotech armor materials

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Rifts armor materials vs Robotech armor materials

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Quick question...does Rifts have the equivalent of Energy Conversion Armor that Robotech has (in fluff) to justify the prodigious toughness of their mecha? Or, is it just better materials science? I am not talking about force fields.

If it is mentioned somewhere, could you give me a page reference?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Rifts armor materials vs Robotech armor materials

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I don't know about energy conversion armor, but the justification in the Robotech RPG stuff is that the ceramics used in ASC/CVR-3 armor reduced the damage of lasers by half.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Robotech doesn't have energy conversion armor, you are thinking about SDF: Macross which is a separate continuity from Robotech.

Rifts AFAIK doesn't either.

Edit:
I wouldn't take game mechanic values as straight indicators of material strength either given Palladium's inherent scaling issues.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

We did get an actual answer to this in the origional first printing of Rifts Conversion Book One that was made while Palladium still held the Robotech licence the first time. ((If yours is missing it, it was cut from all printings after Palladium lost the licence for obvious reasons))

There it said outright that Rifts armor technology is leauges above Robotechs armor and that if a Robotech mecha found it's way to earth they could easially add hundreds of MDC to Robotech Mecha (With costs listed)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

that was for 1st edition robotech. where it may have been (debateably) true. but 2nd edition robotech has earth mecha that appear on par if not even better than standard rifts types (in the case of small mecha like the cyclones, it is hard to view them as inferior, when a 6ft cyclone has armor comparable to 12ft+ heavy PA/Light robots in rifts.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

I would definitely put Rifts armor technology (and most other technology really)at a mechanical level (generations and most likely a century of time) higher than robotech, who were reverse engineering alien technologies instead of using a native innovation. In Robotech, it tonally fits the setting better, mega damage being the province of large scale war machines in a military war drama, rather than a personal roaming RPG setting. Most anime watchers consider that the part II, the southern cross saga, was on the same general scale, while part III, the Genesis Climber Mospeada/Invid invasion made it more like Rifts with the Cyclone scale units and occasional Alpha fighter units. The battlepods were an analog of the Japanese Ho-Chi tank, a VERY thinly armored tank that could easily be penetrated front to back by the relatively low velocity gun of a Sherman tank.

Return to “Rifts®”