Updated Sensors and Equipment

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Updated Sensors and Equipment

Unread post by jaymz »

I felt the listings we have were....lacking so I took it upon myself to update them.

https://worldofjaymz.fandom.com/wiki/St ... l_Vehicles
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Updated Sensors and Equipment

Unread post by Warshield73 »

jaymz wrote:I felt the listings we have were....lacking so I took it upon myself to update them.

Pretty good stuff, similar to some of my own work, but for the Phase World stuff I didn't see any mention of gravity or contragravity sensors. Did I miss them?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:I felt the listings we have were....lacking so I took it upon myself to update them.

Pretty good stuff, similar to some of my own work, but for the Phase World stuff I didn't see any mention of gravity or contragravity sensors. Did I miss them?

No you didn't miss them. That was something I was going to add later (and likely use my work on redoing these systems for Macross as a better base for Phaseworld)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mind you it may be that I leave gravitic and contra-gravtic sensors to ships and not fighters/small transports. Much like how present day fighters do not have the same in depth systems a carrier or awacs craft may have unless its a dedicated craft for that role.

I may also add in "active stealth" ala macross to phaseworld fighters....imagine the naruni stuff in mercs having active stealth? :D

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

jaymz wrote:Mind you it may be that I leave gravitic and contra-gravtic sensors to ships and not fighters/small transports. Much like how present day fighters do not have the same in depth systems a carrier or awacs craft may have unless its a dedicated craft for that role.

I gave fighters and small craft simple grav detectors so they can detect ships approaching at FTL at 2 or 3 LYs but bigger ships have more advanced sensors that can detect at the full 10 LY. I even reduced the effective range of the grav sensors if the ship was going slow or if the scanning ship was at FTL itself making stationary grav detectors more effective than patrol ships.

At one point I had a chart of speed of vehicles and range of detection under the theory that the faster a ship is going the stronger the CG field and the easier it is to detect.

The sensor I have always had problems with is thermal. Ships should be easily detectable at long range by there thermal emissions but I haven't done a good job of determining range for this.

jaymz wrote:I may also add in "active stealth" ala macross to phaseworld fighters....imagine the naruni stuff in mercs having active stealth? :D

I added the stuff from Macross and Southern Cross to Phase World as soon as those books came out. As for active stealth, I think the most important limiting factor on stealth is reducing the FTL speed.

The biggest thing for ships and fighters I think is missile defense. I have been using the chaff rules and many of the defenses from the Wild Weasel SAMAS in the New West. I have since replaced chaff and smoke, both would be useless in the vacuum of space, with what I call dazzlers. These canisters burst open to release streams of radar and lidar reflective material while it emits bursts of infrared and ultraviolet light which heats the streams to 2 or 3 times the radiant temperature of the target ship.

Good stuff, I look forward to seeing more.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Rifts®”