The Robodome in Game

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pad300
Wanderer

The Robodome in Game

Unread post by pad300 »

Has anyone run Robodome (NG1) gladiator fights in game? I have a PC who wants to play...

1) What have you done for the arena?
For general matches, currently I am thinking a simple circle of sand, with the contestants starting opposite each other. But how big? Strahov Stadium is perhaps the biggest stadium playing field in the world, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium , and is less than 1000' on a side... Is it just me or are max 1000' ranges ridiculously short for Robot/PA combat?
Or maybe it is set up more like a real world racetrack, with the primary action being shown to the audience on big screens, as most of the spectators are to far away to see it at any given time in the fight.

2) The "weight" classes are not really defined. Lightweight are "cyborgs and light powered armor", middleweight are" heavy powered armor and robots weighing less than 18 tons", and heavyweight is over 18 tons. There is a specific note that Ultimax and Glitterboy PA's are "always entered in middle and heavyweight competitions". (Which of course clashes with the current lightweight champion, Gerhardt Fulcon, piloting a "souped-up Triax X-1000 Ultimax"; ain't Palladium's editing grand...). Where do you draw the line between light and heavy powered armor? Do you do it on size, weight or MDC? I lean towards MDC, with the line at 320 MDC main body... (making the latest Samson still qualify as a lightweight).

3) What do you do about missile volleys (mini missiles in particular). Are they subject to the "Firepower Limitations" rule (p 19), which would basically mean you're not allowed to fire volleys (especially 4+ missiles), due to the cumulative damage being so high.

Any other things I should think about?
DhAkael
Knight

Re: The Robodome in Game

Unread post by DhAkael »

In Roll20
1) I constructed a virtual battlemap (with stands) in the style of a Solaris VII arena; 4 elevators (depending on number of combatants), walls that can be put into place to hide line of sight, etc, etc, etc...

Think high-tech, think grand scale (maor than 1000ft. think double at least).
The Robodome is THE ultimate expression of The Coloseum gladatorial games.

2) Going by MDC & scale (tonnage & hight) is a good starting point.

3) No plasmas, no nukes: usually HE and fragg are the warheads of choice just because having the match end in one volley of anhilation is BOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING :roll: :-? :sleep:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
kaid
Knight

Re: The Robodome in Game

Unread post by kaid »

pad300 wrote:Has anyone run Robodome (NG1) gladiator fights in game? I have a PC who wants to play...

1) What have you done for the arena?
For general matches, currently I am thinking a simple circle of sand, with the contestants starting opposite each other. But how big? Strahov Stadium is perhaps the biggest stadium playing field in the world, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strahov_Stadium , and is less than 1000' on a side... Is it just me or are max 1000' ranges ridiculously short for Robot/PA combat?
Or maybe it is set up more like a real world racetrack, with the primary action being shown to the audience on big screens, as most of the spectators are to far away to see it at any given time in the fight.

2) The "weight" classes are not really defined. Lightweight are "cyborgs and light powered armor", middleweight are" heavy powered armor and robots weighing less than 18 tons", and heavyweight is over 18 tons. There is a specific note that Ultimax and Glitterboy PA's are "always entered in middle and heavyweight competitions". (Which of course clashes with the current lightweight champion, Gerhardt Fulcon, piloting a "souped-up Triax X-1000 Ultimax"; ain't Palladium's editing grand...). Where do you draw the line between light and heavy powered armor? Do you do it on size, weight or MDC? I lean towards MDC, with the line at 320 MDC main body... (making the latest Samson still qualify as a lightweight).

3) What do you do about missile volleys (mini missiles in particular). Are they subject to the "Firepower Limitations" rule (p 19), which would basically mean you're not allowed to fire volleys (especially 4+ missiles), due to the cumulative damage being so high.

Any other things I should think about?

I am pretty sure you can still volley as they have CIWS specifically to keep missiles that miss their target under control. Basically it just limits you to the lower yield ones.

For the lighter weight classes you may want to bound the mdc they have but for the heavy weight matches I would be okay for anybody who feels they can take it. Cyborgs run such a gambit in power from similar to a light power armor all the way up to being the next best thing to a glitter boy for MDC even by light heavy shock trooper classifications there is just a ton of variability. I think even in the real world it would be more a matter of looking at integrated weapon systems + overall toughness so pretty variable.

Given what they are going for I would imagine the arenas probably have a few configurations from straight out flat arena to all sorts of crazy obstacles/cover/simulated weirder combat scenarios. Hell even the ancient rome colosseum was setup they could stage freaking small naval battles NG is going to want to show some crazy stuff to keep things fresh. Also they do mention races specifically so death race type stuff is supported and an option.

Return to “Rifts®”