Weapon-sellers in Mexico and Central America

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Weapon-sellers in Mexico and Central America

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Do Northern Gun, Wilks, Chipwell, Naruni, Titan and other business so familiar to us have something of a presence south of the Rio Grande and beyond?

Are there any major weapon or vehicle ventures in what once was Mexico, or does most everybody get by with repurposed centuries old relics, reverse-engineered stuff and/or knock-offs of models from North America, Atlantis or south american groups (if any)?

What are your thoughts and takes on the subject and related things? Just something that crossed my mind while reading on the "C.S.version" thread...
kaid
Knight

Re: Weapon-sellers in Mexico and Central America

Unread post by kaid »

We know archie has dropped stuff off the back of the truck for vampire hunters to find so I presume larger places probably get at least some visits from titan industries. Bandito arms/arzno we know have a large presence in that area southern US/northern mexico. NG stuff is probably available although likely more through black market areas.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

mexico itself is the vampire kingdoms, isn't it? i'd expect not too many manufacturers have shops there. i'd also expect that those vampire nations that use tech weapons have minions that buy stuff from more northern locations and bring them south.
SolCannibal
Champion

If memory tricks me not Ciudad Juarez, El Paso and Fort Reid are pretty much the major population centers actually described in the Vampire Kingdoms, right? Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Shark_Force wrote:mexico itself is the vampire kingdoms, isn't it? i'd expect not too many manufacturers have shops there. i'd also expect that those vampire nations that use tech weapons have minions that buy stuff from more northern locations and bring them south.

Depending on how one interprets some of the stuff in the book and the South America ones, most everything south of Mexico up to Colombia is either a form of vampire kingdom or another, demon-infested places akin to Yucatan and the occasional community of humans with weaponry and werebeasts protectors to hold out on their own, i guess.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:mexico itself is the vampire kingdoms, isn't it? i'd expect not too many manufacturers have shops there. i'd also expect that those vampire nations that use tech weapons have minions that buy stuff from more northern locations and bring them south.

Northern mexico still has a pretty sizable human population it does not get really crazy with vampire kingdoms till you start getting closer to central america.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Well, I'd hope that during the Golden Age, Mexico, as a partner in NEMA, would have benefited in finding a substantial high tech niche, and that some of the developed centers of high-tech in Mexico would have survived, but so far the region's been canonically generalized as a vampire/demon playground.
So either the Golden Age has not been so kind to Mexico, the region got mauled a lot more heavily by demons and monsters during the Dark Ages, the vampire intelligences early on knocked out the likely centers of resistance, or they're laying REALLY low so as not to attract attention. Or, far more likely, when Vampire Kingdoms came out, the writers didn't want to mess things up by having some big competitors tech/armament-wise to the CS/NA industries to the north and the nascent(as yet unwritten at the time) kingdoms in SA, and focused on the monsters roaming the region.

So, if one wants native region armaments, it's up to fans, or outposts of the Black market.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

taalismn wrote:Well, I'd hope that during the Golden Age, Mexico, as a partner in NEMA, would have benefited in finding a substantial high tech niche, and that some of the developed centers of high-tech in Mexico would have survived, but so far the region's been canonically generalized as a vampire/demon playground.
So either the Golden Age has not been so kind to Mexico, the region got mauled a lot more heavily by demons and monsters during the Dark Ages, the vampire intelligences early on knocked out the likely centers of resistance, or they're laying REALLY low so as not to attract attention. Or, far more likely, when Vampire Kingdoms came out, the writers didn't want to mess things up by having some big competitors tech/armament-wise to the CS/NA industries to the north and the nascent(as yet unwritten at the time) kingdoms in SA, and focused on the monsters roaming the region.

So, if one wants native region armaments, it's up to fans, or outposts of the Black market.

Given how prone areas like Mexico City are to earthquakes it likely was erased. Most of the larger coastal cities would be gone as well. The last vampire book does have a lot more info about central and northern Mexico.
SolCannibal
Champion

kaid wrote:
taalismn wrote:Well, I'd hope that during the Golden Age, Mexico, as a partner in NEMA, would have benefited in finding a substantial high tech niche, and that some of the developed centers of high-tech in Mexico would have survived, but so far the region's been canonically generalized as a vampire/demon playground.

Given how prone areas like Mexico City are to earthquakes it likely was erased. Most of the larger coastal cities would be gone as well.

Same might be said to an even greater degree about Japan, as geologically unstable (if not more so) with a much smaller territory and yet we have at least 3 nations there, without counting the Republic (that survived by timeskip) or the oni-dominated Zone (that is more of a no man's land than nation).

kaid wrote:The last vampire book does have a lot more info about central and northern Mexico.

That is something to really look out for, thanks.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Japan pretty much did have that problem. A lot of it was pretty much ground flat where the cities that survived basically did so due to temporal/dimensional shenanigans.
SolCannibal
Champion

kaid wrote:Japan pretty much did have that problem. A lot of it was pretty much ground flat where the cities that survived basically did so due to temporal/dimensional shenanigans.

Errrr, no? While they didn't pass through the time of the Rifts scott free, i'm pretty sure the New Empire, Takamatsu, Ichto and the Otomo Shogunate they lived and survived through most of it with little to no "temporal/dimensional shenanigans" that's very much the Republic of Japan's schtick, that is far from being the only nation of the archipelago.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

SolCannibal wrote:
kaid wrote:Japan pretty much did have that problem. A lot of it was pretty much ground flat where the cities that survived basically did so due to temporal/dimensional shenanigans.

Errrr, no? While they didn't pass through the time of the Rifts scott free, i'm pretty sure the New Empire, Takamatsu, Ichto and the Otomo Shogunate they lived and survived through most of it with little to no "temporal/dimensional shenanigans" that's very much the Republic of Japan's schtick, that is far from being the only nation of the archipelago.

Ichto came forward in time as well, then split off on its own, but that doesn't really hurt your point asthe New Empire, Takamatsu l, and Otomo (with H-brand) are indeed the results of the efforts of survivors in post-cataclysm Japan.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Rifts®”