How much do atlanteans know about vampires?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zexsis
D-Bee

How much do atlanteans know about vampires?

Unread post by zexsis »

The Atlantis book is rather old and I see no actual description stating just how much they know about vampires. I think the easy way to deal with this is simply to say they have lore: vampires like the vampire hunters in the Vampire kingdoms book. Of course maybe I missed the description or its explained elsewhere.. or perhaps they actually don't have any knowledge.. What are your thoughts?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: How much do atlanteans know about vampires?

Unread post by Mack »

The Atlanteans received a big update in the Secrets of the Atlanteans book. Undead Slayers now have a set of vampire hunting skills, to include "Lore: Vampires" (p69).

Highly recommend picking up a copy if the subject interests you.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The new Atlantis book is a must if you are interested in the group. I am not in love with all that is added, but the book is definitely worth the read, and I am sure you will find things to integrate into your Atlanteans.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mack wrote:The Atlanteans received a big update in the Secrets of the Atlanteans book. Undead Slayers now have a set of vampire hunting skills, to include "Lore: Vampires" (p69).

Prior to L:V making it's way from NB to Rifts I probably would've just assumed vamp lore fell under demon lore, since they're demons.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:
Mack wrote:The Atlanteans received a big update in the Secrets of the Atlanteans book. Undead Slayers now have a set of vampire hunting skills, to include "Lore: Vampires" (p69).

Prior to L:V making it's way from NB to Rifts I probably would've just assumed vamp lore fell under demon lore, since they're demons.

We have always known that you can sub-specialize lores
Demon and Monster lore covers all demons and monsters and is thus very broad and shallow
Lore: Undead is more narrow and thus goes into a bit more detail on each undead
Lore: Vampire narrows it down even further and now it covers just that one form of undead monster... but in great detail.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think it should be noted that every single Atlantean has the tattoos of heritage. These are the anti vampire heart tattoo and a magic weapon to fight the undead. Basically from the age they become adults they are equipped and taught how to fight vampires. I would expect any basic knowledge about vampires is known to all Atlanteans with the more specialized vampire hunter bonuses for the undead slayer. The most recent vampire book goes into this and the secrets of Atlantis also emphasizes this.
StormSeeker
D-Bee

Unread post by StormSeeker »

From WB2 Atlantis

"The vampire intelligences and their undead minions would prove to be the Atlanteans most fearsome and deadly foes. Over the centuries they would become eternal enemies, with battles spanning a hundred dimensions."
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I would think that as a culture they are raised with a basic understanding of vampire behavior and the threat they pose. The Atlanteans have been around a long time and would have hundreds of years to understand their most hated enemy.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I would think that as a culture they are raised with a basic understanding of vampire behavior and the threat they pose. The Atlanteans have been around a long time and would have hundreds of years to understand their most hated enemy.

Their coming of age ritual is an excruciatingly painful set of tattoos to make sure every adult Atlantan can at a moments notice kill vampires.
Axelmania
Knight

I don't understand why a flaming sword would be the ideal thing for hurting vampires.

Why not just summon a non-flaming wooden sword? It's cheaper.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Axelmania wrote:I don't understand why a flaming sword would be the ideal thing for hurting vampires.

PPE cost yes but not near as useful. The great majority of Atlanteans have 6 or less tattoos so each one needs to be as useful as possible. Besides why not a Flaming Wooden Sword?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Axelmania wrote:I don't understand why a flaming sword would be the ideal thing for hurting vampires.

The vampire protection tattoo gives you a wooden stake when activated and the sword is magic so you can down the vamp then stake and kill them.
Axelmania
Knight

the creation of a stake/cross is a neat new feature from page 163, originally only the first two (impervious to slow kill and mind control) happened and to get a stake/cross you'd need separate Simple Weapon tats.

Also it seems flaming weapons do have some usefulness outside MDC worlds now:
against an S.D.C. opponent (or in an S.D.C. environment) it does its normal S.D.C. damage +8 (its magical bonus)

I'd apply that against vampires (since they are not MDC) to explain why Atlanteans would prefer flaming weapons to combat them over simple ones.

The elephant in the room is the new "Flaming Weapon Dripping with Blood" though.

It has no guidelines for enhanced damage against SDC opponents. It's no better than a non-Flaming weapon dripping blood (double base) and that doesn't seem right.

Shouldn't it be double + 16 or double+8?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Axelmania wrote:the creation of a stake/cross is a neat new feature from page 163, originally only the first two (impervious to slow kill and mind control) happened and to get a stake/cross you'd need separate Simple Weapon tats.

Also it seems flaming weapons do have some usefulness outside MDC worlds now:
against an S.D.C. opponent (or in an S.D.C. environment) it does its normal S.D.C. damage +8 (its magical bonus)

I'd apply that against vampires (since they are not MDC) to explain why Atlanteans would prefer flaming weapons to combat them over simple ones.

The elephant in the room is the new "Flaming Weapon Dripping with Blood" though.

It has no guidelines for enhanced damage against SDC opponents. It's no better than a non-Flaming weapon dripping blood (double base) and that doesn't seem right.

Shouldn't it be double + 16 or double+8?

I believe the blood effect still doubles the damage dice but just in SDC +8 I think.
Axelmania
Knight

let's talk about a 1d4 knife for example. in rifts blood/fire/fireblood would do 1d4x2 / 1d4 MD / 1d4x2 MD

in SDC it would do 1d4x2 / 1d4+8 / ???

That's another thing... a static +8 really is favorable to low-damage weapons but not much of a buff at all for already-high ones. There, a multiplier from blood would be better than a +8 from fire.

Return to “Rifts®”