Omni-Index Feedback

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HisTyness
D-Bee

Omni-Index Feedback

Unread post by HisTyness »

I've been working on/compiling an index of the Rifts books that I have either hardcopy or PDF of. This is still a work in progress. I'm still playing with formatting and layout. In fact, the layout has already changed a couple of times since I started this a while ago.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I chose to do it in Google Sheets mainly because it's free and, honestly, I don't know any Database programs.

Once it's done I will be putting it out there for anyone to use. I believe I am staying within Palladium's usage rules (Book/page reference only). A lot of people have put a lot of work in to creating this world and I want them to get all the credit for it.

Constructive feedback is very much welcome. Trolls are not.

Right now, the biggest problem I'm having is delineating RCCs, D-Bees, and Monsters. If it's listed as an R.C.C., no matter how obscure I'm putting it there. If it's noted as a playable or optional character, I'm calling it a D-Bee. Everything else is a "monster". I'm not liking this though. For starters, it makes the RCC list HUGE and that tab very cluttered. Yes, a Sperm Whale is listed as a R.C.C but does anyone really think of them as one? Yes, it's MY list so I can define it however I like but if I'm making this for others to use I should design it intuitively.

TBH, I keep changing my definitions and going back and moving entries between the categories. This is quite inefficient (at least I have the books and page numbers right there...). Instead of second, third or even fourth guessing myself (is that a thing?) I'm putting it out for the Gestalt to consider.

Feedback on other areas is also welcomed.
Anthanatos
D-Bee

Re: Omni-Index Feedback

Unread post by Anthanatos »

HisTyness wrote:I've been working on/compiling an index of the Rifts books that I have either hardcopy or PDF of. This is still a work in progress. I'm still playing with formatting and layout. In fact, the layout has already changed a couple of times since I started this a while ago.

I chose to do it in Google Sheets mainly because it's free and, honestly, I don't know any Database programs.

Once it's done I will be putting it out there for anyone to use. I believe I am staying within Palladium's usage rules (Book/page reference only). A lot of people have put a lot of work in to creating this world and I want them to get all the credit for it.

Right now, the biggest problem I'm having is delineating RCCs, D-Bees, and Monsters. If it's listed as an R.C.C., no matter how obscure I'm putting it there. If it's noted as a playable or optional character, I'm calling it a D-Bee. Everything else is a "monster". I'm not liking this though. For starters, it makes the RCC list HUGE and that tab very cluttered. Yes, a Sperm Whale is listed as a R.C.C but does anyone really think of them as one? Yes, it's MY list so I can define it however I like but if I'm making this for others to use I should design it intuitively.

TBH, I keep changing my definitions and going back and moving entries between the categories. This is quite inefficient (at least I have the books and page numbers right there...). Instead of second, third or even fourth guessing myself (is that a thing?) I'm putting it out for the Gestalt to consider.

Feedback on other areas is also welcomed.

Very nice.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Omni-Index Feedback

Unread post by Prysus »

HisTyness wrote:I've been working on/compiling an index of the Rifts books that I have either hardcopy or PDF of. This is still a work in progress. I'm still playing with formatting and layout. In fact, the layout has already changed a couple of times since I started this a while ago.

Greetings and Salutations. I'm not much of a Rifts player, but looks well done (from my perspective).

HisTyness wrote:Right now, the biggest problem I'm having is delineating RCCs, D-Bees, and Monsters. If it's listed as an R.C.C., no matter how obscure I'm putting it there. If it's noted as a playable or optional character, I'm calling it a D-Bee. Everything else is a "monster". I'm not liking this though. For starters, it makes the RCC list HUGE and that tab very cluttered. Yes, a Sperm Whale is listed as a R.C.C but does anyone really think of them as one? Yes, it's MY list so I can define it however I like but if I'm making this for others to use I should design it intuitively.

This section is the main reason I posted, as you seem to be looking for suggestions. I ran into a similar issue when dealing with my list for Fantasy found here:

http://www.prysus.com/pf_races.htm

I had a similar issue, with changing the rules and moving things from one list to another. In the end, I decided to make some hard lines, and follow them through regardless of my personal opinion after the fact. So this would be my suggestion, based on what I know of Rifts and the guidelines you already presented:

1: D-Bees are anything listed as "Playable" or recommended as Player Characters.
2: Monsters can be anything else.

Note: I further broke this up the "Monster" category by using categories such as Undead, Creatures of Magic, Supernatural Beings, Animals (anything with an animal intelligence, even if monstrous), etc.

3: R.C.C. This is a case where I'd recommend changing things up the most. R.C.C.in Palladium has meant "Playable Race," "Psychic O.C.C.", "Racial O.C.C.", and the current R.C.C. term (which is every member of the race is born knowing these skills/abilities). So I'd personally break this up into multiple categories.

3a: Playable Races become D-Bees (as described in #1 above). So anything that lists attributes for rolling up the race without skill categories and equipment would be a race. True Atlanteans is a good example of this.
3b: Psychic O.C.C. includes Bursters, Zappers, etc. Looks like you already did this, but figured to list it just in case.
3c: Racial O.C.C. are for things like Dog Boys. You MUST be a Dog Boy to learn this O.C.C., but not all Dog Boys automatically start off as that O.C.C. Atlantean Nomads also fall into this category (must be an Atlantean, but not all Atlanteans are born into this class).
3d: R.C.C. as per RUE, which includes things like Dragon Hatchlings. This may also include things like the Sperm Whale (from a quick glance). If knowing the class is a result of birth and instinct, this is where it would fall.

Regardless of which rules you decide on, I find it's best to write them down. This helped me stick to the rules I set, and also to detail the rules I used for others. Whether or not other people agree with my decisions, they could follow the guidelines I used for common ground and understanding.

HisTyness wrote:Feedback on other areas is also welcomed.

I'm not sure if any of this will actually help you, but figured to at least provide my experiences on the matter. I don't have much else in the way of suggestions. Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best of luck. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Rifts®”