Cheap Low-Tech Vampire Detecting Goggles

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Cheap Low-Tech Vampire Detecting Goggles

Unread post by LostOne »

Maybe this has been suggested before, but if not this would revolutionize vampire detection and hunting.

Goggles that look like nightvision style. One eye is normal passthrough and one eye goes through a double mirror reflection like a periscope. End result, you look around, if one person seems see-through, they're a vampire because one eye sees them and the other does not.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Cheap Low-Tech Vampire Detecting Goggles

Unread post by Axelmania »

Sounds like a good idea since it would allow both hands free compared to wielding a one-eyed periscope although the latter could be the cheaper solution.

Due to the length of periscopes it could be awkward for spotting people far off though since the points of view would be further apart and lead to more blind spots and blurriness in general since you'd have less overlap between what you can see. I don't know if angle the periscope might help with that. It might give more overlap but it would also change the angle of view which would create its own problems.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

LostOne wrote:Maybe this has been suggested before, but if not this would revolutionize vampire detection and hunting.

Goggles that look like nightvision style. One eye is normal passthrough and one eye goes through a double mirror reflection like a periscope. End result, you look around, if one person seems see-through, they're a vampire because one eye sees them and the other does not.

That is brilliant.

You don't have to do it periscope style.

Do a quad mirror set up.

Set it up like a U

Reflect down, back, up, to eye. Makes 1 eye telescopes, keeps the height the same. Toss in a magnification lenses and boom. Great all/purpose vampire seeing visor.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

you can call them reflex goggles. after the Reflex lens system used in the one side.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

You don't even need to resort to all these complicated shenanigans...
simple basic digital camera with a very simple basic computer running some very simple image processing.
each of the inputs for the camera is a dual camera. One camera is direct, one camera uses a mirror.
If the inputs are equal, then it stays green. If the inputs are unequal it pings and you know there is a vampire.
You could set this up on drones to do wide sweeps of areas, sweep crowds, scan entire towns at a go... all sorts of things.
And best of all robots are immune to mind control and can't be detected by Vampire powers.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

LostOne wrote:Maybe this has been suggested before, but if not this would revolutionize vampire detection and hunting.

It would be super easy. Just have a big jug of water and then have it spray everything you are looking at. Fool proof vampire detection!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

kaid wrote:[

It would be super easy. Just have a big jug of water and then have it spray everything you are looking at. Fool proof vampire detection!

:evil: "I don't appreciate getting WET, punk. I would appreciate an apology and your wallet in compensation for what you just done. Or I'll take it in your broken bones."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

I wrote a rifter submission : "The technological vampire hunter", that I am assuming is not going to get published, having never heard from them again... A variant of this system was one concept presented therein. After issue 84 (the current planned end of the rifter) is published, I might put the file up here (along with the other one I wrote).
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I hadn't seen that The Rifter was ending. That's disappointing. Sorry to steal your thunder if you had been keeping quiet hoping to get your article published. I assumed I wasn't the first to come up with the idea, but I hadn't seen it anywhere else.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

not really ending technically, just going on a long hiatus. but the way palladium stuff sometimes works out, we don't know if it'll be back. they just need the manpower and financial resources the rifter has been using to get a few more full-blown books out. hopefully it works. given the sudden loss of the robotech license after sinking so much into that RPG, they probably don't want to try and cut it too close financially.

they've encouraged people to continue sending in articles, so they at least are still optimistic about it coming back eventually. (that and the fact such articles often result in finding new freelancers)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”