Call Lightening Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Call Lightening Question

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

So, I was re-reading the Call Lightening spell description the other night and it reminded me of two questions that I had, and I thought was posted here ages back but I can't find now.

The first question is that the spell says, "The lightening bolt shoots down from the sky, hitting the desired target." Sooooo what if you're indoors?

The second question is under Saving Throw, it says "None". Now other spells like Fireball say "None except dodge, but the victim must know the attack is coming and must roll an 18 or higher" or Fire Bolt which clearly just says "Dodge". So can this even be dodged?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Call Lightening Question

Unread post by The Beast »

1. One would think that since the bolt comes down from the sky you'd have to be outside (or very close to an entrance) for it to have a chance to hit you, however I recall reading elsewhere that the spell still works when underground. I'll have to try to find that line again.

2. When playing Rifts no, it can't be dodged. If playing PFRPG or HU2 the spell's description says you need either a Nat 20 or a 24+ to dodge.
Last edited by The Beast on Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

This is one that always gets some eyebrows raised but it does not say it is usable only outdoors so I just let people use it inside but the bolt still always originates from above the target. That is kind of its bonus it does not originate from the caster so you can stealth shoot it a bit if you have a good hiding place with a line of sight using it does not give away your position.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

The fact that it cant be dodged is one of the only things that makes the spell decent, considering its pretty abysmal on the PPE/damage front.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Beast wrote:1. One would think that since the bolt comes down from the sky you'd have to be outside (or very close to an entrance) for it to have a chance to hit you, however I recall reading elsewhere that the spell still works when underground. I'll have to try to find that line again.

Greetings and Salutations. That can be found in PF2, HU2, as well as the Air Elemental magic section of Book of Magic (page 59).

The Beast wrote:2. When playing Rifts no, it can't be dodged. If playing PFRPG or HU2 the spell's description says you need either a Nat 20 or a 24+ to dodge.

Technically, the Air Warlock version in PF2 also states "None" without the disclaimer of the dodge. For Invocation version (in PF2 and HU2), both start with "None" and then follow it up with the dodge difficulty. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Rifts®”