has anyone made their own class in rifts cos i need help

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Knight_General
Wanderer

has anyone made their own class in rifts cos i need help

Unread post by Knight_General »

if you have seen Freezing the anime that should help you understand what i want but if not. then let me explain.

the characters in the story are genetically altered with things called stigmata. these piercings give them additional strength, durability, and speed. it allows them to use a molecular substance to create a suit of armor that reinforces the body to withstand the powers that it grants. along with the armor the characters can create a weapons or group of weapons that can be used in melee combat. it also grants them the use of three powers called high end skills.

Accel turn- this first skill taught to the characters increases their movement to superhuman levels. up to 6x normal speed.

Tempest turn- the second skill taught to the characters, creates after images where the character can attack from any of those locations. up to ten images can be made

Illusion turn- a short range teleport that can send a shockwave out. The range i would put on it is 60 ft. the shock wave cane go out to about 20 ft.

there are also shockwaves that cane be sent out without having to teleport, and barriers that are more or less a light force field.

would anyone know how to help me make this?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: has anyone made their own class in rifts cos i need help

Unread post by Shark_Force »

right, so this is at best skating *super close* to the edges of the "no conversions" policy. so no offense, but i'm gonna wait this one out and see whether the moderators think it is close but not over the edge before i can give you any advice.

if you had phrased this question differently, i'd feel a lot more comfortable giving you advice, because then i wouldn't be breaking an agreement i made to follow the rules of these forums when i signed up.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Look inside Rifts Worldbook 2 Atlantis for the Tattooed Man for something that is extremely close to what you are describing.

Alternately, without converting anything, I can say that if you are looking for powers and classes to do those exact same types of things, there are also two excellent Palladium games that can do that.
Heroes Unlimited is all about making super powered heroes in any setting.
The second game is Nightbane which is all about making supernatural creatures with amazing powers and multiple forms.
I am 99% certain that anything you want to make is inside those two games. To make those games fit into Rifts, you will also need the Rifts Conversion Book 1.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

You're new to the system.

Making classes from scratch is an advanced skill that, to do properly, requires a combined comprenensive and complex understanding of the setting/rules/systems and the GM needs to okay everything as you go.

You're still at the beginnings of your journey, still learning where basic vehicles and stuff are.

To quote Yoda, "Not ready for the burden yet. Are you."

Or as I say, "You're still learning how to crawl, in a couple years you'll be walking, then we can talk about running a marathon."
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

LAZOTAUR SOLOWHEEWHEESPLEE*snort*HEEWHAKAGACHAKAMOOOOOOOOOO!

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

That comment is pretty condescending.

Knight_General, it turns out that I coincidentally once made a similar character. It wasn't based on that anime, which I didn't know existed until your post. I have since taken a look at some clips, and my character, for one, didn't really show off their underwear. My character was a Rifts Rogue Scholar with HU superpowers, but I could have used any Scholar and Adventurer O.C.C., as explained in Rifts Conversion Book1 p. 43. The rules say one can select up to three major and three minor superpowers if it's for a high-powered game, and this one was like a mural painted on a van of a lazotaur* come to life! The Major powers were Bio-Armor (Heroes Unlimited p.254), Distort Space (Powers Unlimited 1 p.70), and Pause Temporal Flow (Powers Unlimited 3 p. 83). The Minor Powers were Detonation or Explosive Power (PU1 p.20), Personal Force Field (PU1 p.36), and I can't remember if it was Instant Weapon (PU1 p.33) or Body Weapons (HU p. 229).

*minotaur playing a laser guitar
HWalsh
Hero

Re: LAZOTAUR SOLOWHEEWHEESPLEE*snort*HEEWHAKAGAHOO

Unread post by HWalsh »

Curbludgeon wrote:That comment is pretty condescending.

Not my intention.

I've been playing for 20 years at this point and even *I* won't pull off a full from scratch OCC. Trying to figure out the skill bonuses alone is head spinning. Let alone trying to remotely balance everything else.

When we're talking about someone starting out it is a bit too much to try.
Knight_General
Wanderer

while i appreciate the concern @HWalsh my biggest problem is my brain injury so in all reality i will never really memorize this system as i just can't do that anymore.

as far as conversion goes is there a place where i can look at those rules? cos i obviously missed something when i joined
Knight_General
Wanderer

nevermind about this post as in all reality i shouldn't not have posted it in the first place i am sorry for not remembering that from when i joined.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Knight_General wrote:nevermind about this post as in all reality i shouldn't not have posted it in the first place i am sorry for not remembering that from when i joined.

Dude, it's all good. We're here to help. Just trying to help as best I can to help you get enjoyment from the game.
Knight_General
Wanderer

well now i have questions on skill list are there any skills that a custom melee oriented class should have other than the sheer ability to use weapons?
slade the sniper
Hero

Most of the Physical Skills have some translation to melee combat. Most of them grant bonuses to Physical Strength, Physical Prowess, SDC, attack types or damage. Wrestling, Fencing and boxing are great, Acrobatics and Gymnastics a bit less, then all of the other skills.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
slade the sniper
Hero

HWalsh wrote:You're new to the system.

Making classes from scratch is an advanced skill that, to do properly, requires a combined comprenensive and complex understanding of the setting/rules/systems and the GM needs to okay everything as you go.

You're still at the beginnings of your journey, still learning where basic vehicles and stuff are.

To quote Yoda, "Not ready for the burden yet. Are you."

Or as I say, "You're still learning how to crawl, in a couple years you'll be walking, then we can talk about running a marathon."

Hmmm, I never thought of it that way...

I have always just:
Thought of an idea (Getaway Driver)
Figure out the one thing I wanted them to (Drive well)
Give them a bonus (+20% to all driving skills on top of the bonuses below, allows for skill rolls of over 100%)
Pick 10 skills related to the idea, five of them with a +10% bonus.
Pick 1 or 2 Weapon Proficiencies that make sense
Pick 1 type of Hand to Hand combat that makes sense
Say they can get 10 OCC related skills, three skill areas get a +5% bonus
Say they get 8 Secondary Skills with no bonus
Figure HP and SDC (practitioners of magic and scholars and adventurers roll four 6-sided dice (4D6) for S.D.C., psychic R.C.C.s roll three 6-sided dice (3D6) for S.D.C. Men of Arms roll lD4x 10, in addition to any O.C.C. and/or skill bonuses.)
Make the character.

It is a game, it is supposed to be fun, AND Palladium doesn't care about character balance (Cosmo Knights vs Vagabonds....).

Do what you want Knight_General and have fun!

-STS
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Knight_General wrote:if you have seen Freezing the anime that should help you understand what i want but if not. then let me explain.
would anyone know how to help me make this?

Most of the time, the various classes already in Palladium's products will cover any character you want to build. Find a class that is most like what you're looking for, and try to build the character from that class. Most of the time, you'll find that it's quite playable, though, sometimes, you have to add a super power or a psychic ability or something along those lines. Some times, you have to go pretty far afield to find a class that gives you the features you're looking for. It's also pretty easy to give up one power or ability of the OCC that the character isn't going to use in order to get something else similar in nature that they will.

Basically, why go all the way to scratch-build when you don't have to? Try the existing OCCs and see what you can come up with, if that doesn't work, find the closest OCC and modify that. If it still doesn't work, the do a scratch build.

While I don't know the anime, I think I would start with a super hero, maybe add in a psychic power to support the special skills you're referring to, and round things out from there with skills.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey

Return to “Rifts®”