Stupid question about Cobbler Goblins

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Stupid question about Cobbler Goblins

Unread post by SolCannibal »

If they are cobbler goblins why do they get "an aptitude for woodworking and a +10% bonus in carpentry and boat building"? (also, some of their magic involves manipulating wood)

Why call them that in the first place? Any suggestions for alternative names?

Making them minor MDC beings like faerie folk in Rifts Earth, how would you people feel about it?

As an aside, has anyone explored in their games why such "atavisms" only occur among goblins but not hobs or kobolds?
Curious if other GMs or players might have tinkered with those things in their own tables and how.

edit: little aside, where do i find the "Mend Wood" spell mentioned in the Cobbler's write-up (in CB and PF both)? Tried to look for its description and costs to compare with other similar spells (Mend Stone & Metal) but simply could not find it on either my RMB or PF when i last checked.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Stupid question about Cobbler Goblins

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

To be able to make wooden shoes and sandals I guess?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SolCannibal
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:To be able to make wooden shoes and sandals I guess?

Daniel Stoker

Yeah, it's doable, but it still takes looking at things from a pretty specific angle to justify, no?
And i'm still curious about the boat-builidng skills.

On an aside, I'm considering using some other name for them, to be more descriptive and to make things in Rifts Earth a bit more independent from Palladium (kind of like RUE replaced the PF dragons with brand new ones). Any suggestions? So far some that crossed my mind were "Keeper" and "Remnant" because they "retain" some of the old faerie folk powers.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

SolCannibal wrote:If they are cobbler goblins why do they get "an aptitude for woodworking and a +10% bonus in carpentry and boat building"? (also, some of their magic involves manipulating wood)

Making them minor MDC beings like faerie folk in Rifts Earth, how would you people feel about it?

As an aside, has anyone explored in their games why such "atavisms" only occur among goblins but not hobs or kobolds?
Curious if other GMs or players might have tinkered with those things in their own tables and how.

edit: little aside, where do i find the "Mend Wood" spell mentioned in the Cobbler's write-up (in CB and PF both)? Tried to look for its description and costs to compare with other similar spells (Mend Stone & Metal) but simply could not find it on either my RMB or PF when i last checked.

Got to have the skills to make clogs!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

SolCannibal wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Yeah, it's doable, but it still takes looking at things from a pretty specific angle to justify, no?

On an aside, I'm considering using some other name for them, to be more descriptive and to make things in Rifts Earth a bit more independent from Palladium (kind of like RUE replaced the PF dragons with brand new ones). Any suggestions? So far some that crossed my mind were "Keeper" and "Remnant" because they "retain" some of the old faerie folk powers.

If you ever saw how large my feet are a clog sized for me basically is a boat for a goblin.
SolCannibal
Champion

kaid wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

Daniel Stoker

If you ever saw how large my feet are a clog sized for me basically is a boat for a goblin.

That would sort of explain why they have a bonus for boat-building but none for their handling, i guess. :D

Now i'm thinking of a Cobbler that is an actual shoemaker, selling a variety of clogs from different pre-Rifts, contemporary or D-bee cultures; dutch klomps, japanese geta, swedish träskor and so on. Knowledge of any traditional folk dances (that might or not attract the curiosity of faerie folk) optional. Could fit in the Magic Zone city the PC group is currently based at. ;)
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

A Cobbler is "one who cobbles."
As a verb, cobble can refer to the act of making or repairing shoes, but it also means to 'mend coarsely' or 'assemble hastily.'
So to me, their name and bonuses reflect that their fae history was that of builders and repairmen who quickly assembled or repaired wooden items. Similar to the story of the Shoemaker and the Elves, or the stories of gremlins who take things apart, rearrange them, sabotage, etc.
Seems to make perfect sense, in all honesty.
Even their ability to shapechange into animals fits the above explanation as it allows them to hide. Who would suspect a stray cat who came in through an open window of being the one to build or sabatage something in your workshop?
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well after a lot of going down rabbit holes... yeah there were a number of different types of medieval shoes that used wood for the soles and many of the holds used for shoes were also made of wood, so yeah, the wood working makes sense for a cobbler.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SolCannibal
Champion

Father Goose wrote:A Cobbler is "one who cobbles."
As a verb, cobble can refer to the act of making or repairing shoes, but it also means to 'mend coarsely' or 'assemble hastily.'
So to me, their name and bonuses reflect that their fae history was that of builders and repairmen who quickly assembled or repaired wooden items. Similar to the story of the Shoemaker and the Elves, or the stories of gremlins who take things apart, rearrange them, sabotage, etc.
Seems to make perfect sense, in all honesty.

Those other meaning of cobble do go a long way to explain things indeed. I knew of the brothers grimm story but it felt weird because, well, it's not like shoemaking on itself makes one think of boatbuilding, carpentry & wood manipulation. Now with the image of "ancestral goblins" as builders & repairmen of coarse craftsmanship all pieces fit in.

Father Goose wrote:Even their ability to shapechange into animals fits the above explanation as it allows them to hide. Who would suspect a stray cat who came in through an open window of being the one to build or sabatage something in your workshop?

It even gives context their loss/decadence, might be said, as one of the goblins current cultural traits seems to be a general dislike of hard work, exactly one of the things their atrophying fae nature is supposed to enable.

At least until some enterprising group of cobblers hits on some other niche to help stimulate their magical skillset back into activity or somesuch, that is. Not that i see it happening anytime soon on Rifts Earth, that is.

Daniel Stoker wrote:Well after a lot of going down rabbit holes... yeah there were a number of different types of medieval shoes that used wood for the soles and many of the holds used for shoes were also made of wood, so yeah, the wood working makes sense for a cobbler.

Daniel Stoker

The boat-building that is kind of a funny one, but i guess goes from "what other crafts using wood do we have in the book" logic possibly. Father Goose did go a long way into making an argument about how everything fits together.

Though i still feel like coming up with alternate names for Cobbler, originating from goblin cultures in either different worlds/dimensions or their mixing up among the varied & messy masses that fill the population centers of Rifts Earth.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think the Doylist explanation that the name came from them being inspired by stories of fairies making shoes and/or carved goods is probably true.

but if you want a watsonian (aka 'in universe') justification, i can think of a couple different possibilities.

in welsh a 'Coblyn' was a type of goblin that lived underground and used its magic to create knocking noises and cause mischif like causing caveins. (basically the same as a Tommyknocker, and IRL likely a folklore explanation to explain the noises that occur underground in mineshafts.) it wouldn't be hard to see the name being adapted. especially if the term 'goblin' had taken on a more general definition.

building off the boat and woodworking aspect, a Cobble is a type of klinker-built wooden boat built in wales and scotland. perhapos goblins once used such boats themselves (since a normal sized cobble would be roughly equal to a longship and/or Cog for goblins)

cobble's are also the term for certain types of hard rounded rocks. their use as road surface is part of why the term for shoemaker's is 'cobbler'. historically though such stones were used as tools, particularly as hammer stones used to knap flint cobble's into knives and axes, and as the heads of clubs. lithic tools of this kind, when found in later ages, were often seen as of supernatural origin and possessing magical power (such as the Thunderstone folklore elements). since Goblins on their own would appear to exist in a neolithic level of technology, it could be that people saw them using such tools (with the magic users, who generally are the leaders being fairly prominent) and applied their term for the stone to the goblins.

personally i'm fond of the last one, as it feels more natural and would apply to other worlds thanks to translation convention, unlike the others.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think the Doylist explanation that the name came from them being inspired by stories of fairies making shoes and/or carved goods is probably true.

but if you want a watsonian (aka 'in universe') justification, i can think of a couple different possibilities.

in welsh a 'Coblyn' was a type of goblin that lived underground and used its magic to create knocking noises and cause mischif like causing caveins. (basically the same as a Tommyknocker, and IRL likely a folklore explanation to explain the noises that occur underground in mineshafts.) it wouldn't be hard to see the name being adapted. especially if the term 'goblin' had taken on a more general definition.

building off the boat and woodworking aspect, a Cobble is a type of klinker-built wooden boat built in wales and scotland. perhapos goblins once used such boats themselves (since a normal sized cobble would be roughly equal to a longship and/or Cog for goblins)

cobble's are also the term for certain types of hard rounded rocks. their use as road surface is part of why the term for shoemaker's is 'cobbler'. historically though such stones were used as tools, particularly as hammer stones used to knap flint cobble's into knives and axes, and as the heads of clubs. lithic tools of this kind, when found in later ages, were often seen as of supernatural origin and possessing magical power (such as the Thunderstone folklore elements). since Goblins on their own would appear to exist in a neolithic level of technology, it could be that people saw them using such tools (with the magic users, who generally are the leaders being fairly prominent) and applied their term for the stone to the goblins.

personally i'm fond of the last one, as it feels more natural and would apply to other worlds thanks to translation convention, unlike the others.

Good stuff here. Personally, I think I will take all of the reasons given in this thread and use them as rumors associated with the race that can be learned with Lore. Being uncertain to me makes them even more fascinating.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
SolCannibal
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think the Doylist explanation that the name came from them being inspired by stories of fairies making shoes and/or carved goods is probably true.

It's a good indeed, though it would take some tweaking as the cobbler's powers & skills relate to wood/plants, not stone per se, but a small one.
Truth be told i have toyed with such variations (wood, stone, metal) as a way to make up some minor subgroups/twists on already known Dbees, such as in the case of Nhur Dwarves, for example.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

SolCannibal wrote:If they are cobbler goblins why do they get "an aptitude for woodworking and a +10% bonus in carpentry and boat building"? (also, some of their magic involves manipulating wood)

The woodworking aptitude is not a part of the original cobbler.

Cobblers retain some of the goblin's faerie nature. They have a limited spellcasting ability of faeries and can morph into small animals. Mend wood/clay is among the spells they can cast, but the aptitude is for woodworking is not there.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My headcanon:

The original "goblins" were made from a type of faerie known as "cobblers"... leprechaun-sized fae who made wonderful shoes. The process that the ancient wizard used to turn them into goblins warped their magic (nowadays, when it appears), leading to their predilection for dark shapes and the nature of their magic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I wonder if we can work in Salome's planet of Demon Goblins (Wormwood) into the headcanon somewhere.

I seem to remember another kind of Goblin variant but nothing specific ATM... might be thinking of something else...

I wonder if I'm just thinking of the dreamdancing "Domhain Dorca" variant in the Rifter? Hm... I feel like there's a 3rd time I'm forgetting though...

Return to “Rifts®”