Psi-ghost Intangibility

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thirdkingdom
D-Bee

Psi-ghost Intangibility

Unread post by thirdkingdom »

Is use of the psi-ghost Intangibility power (from Psyscape) something that can be detected by beings like psi-stalkers or dog boys?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Psi-ghost Intangibility

Unread post by Shark_Force »

is there any reason it wouldn't be? (legitimate question, i don't own that book). so far as i'm aware, it is a psychic power. dog boys and psi-stalkers can detect the use of psychic powers. therefore, they can detect this psychic power... unless there is something that blocks said detection, that is.
thirdkingdom
D-Bee

Shark_Force wrote:is there any reason it wouldn't be? (legitimate question, i don't own that book). so far as i'm aware, it is a psychic power. dog boys and psi-stalkers can detect the use of psychic powers. therefore, they can detect this psychic power... unless there is something that blocks said detection, that is.

It isn't specifically called out as a psychic power. There's no ISP cost or requirement to use it. My gut is that it would trigger someone's senses switching in and out of phase. Specifically, though, I'm running a game where one character is a mutant (from Heroes Unlimited) drawn into the Rifts world.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

right, so this is obviously a psychic character, with powerful abilities derived from being a psychic character. if this was something that could just be mundane (like exceptional accuracy), i'd say it could be non-psychic... but becoming intangible is definitely not just something that happens naturally except via psionics or magic.

so i'm going to say that yes, dog boys and psi-stalkers can sense psi-ghost intangibility. it is most definitely a psychic ability.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

The book is very specific about the intangibility being a mutant power.

Thus the Intangibility ability itself wouldn't be detected as "using a psionic power" but it wouldn't mask the characters ISP so the Psi-Ghost would still be detected as "being a psychic"
thirdkingdom
D-Bee

Incriptus wrote:The book is very specific about the intangibility being a mutant power.

Thus the Intangibility ability itself wouldn't be detected as "using a psionic power" but it wouldn't mask the characters ISP so the Psi-Ghost would still be detected as "being a psychic"

I haven't found anything that says mutant powers *can't* be detected by the psi-stalker's ability to sense the supernatural. Does that mean that someone creating a force field, or manipulating gravity, or using super energy expulsion won't be detected as using a supernatural ability?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Psionics is a mutation in Rifts.

Humans who have Psionics are considered human mutants. Their mutation is that they manifest psi powers.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

thirdkingdom wrote:Is use of the psi-ghost Intangibility power (from Psyscape) something that can be detected by beings like psi-stalkers or dog boys?

"The power of intangibility, or 'ghosting' as they call it, is not a psionic power, although it requires mental discipline, focus and concentration."-WB12 pg 63.
"2. Intangibility (a Mutant Power):"-WB12 pg65, emphasis in text.

RUE's descriptions of the sensing ability of Psi-Stalkers and Dodgboys would not apply due to the use of their Intangibility power as it is not psionic in nature (and doesn't say it is magical). However there are other attributes of the Psi-Ghost that would make them detectable (their Master Psionic Rating, the amount of ISP).
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

thirdkingdom wrote:I haven't found anything that says mutant powers *can't* be detected by the psi-stalker's ability to sense the supernatural.

The opposite is also true: There's nothing that states mutant powers *can* be detected either.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Incriptus wrote:The book is very specific about the intangibility being a mutant power.

One major plus I just thought of... normally when you use a Mind Block or "Mask ISP and Psionics" it prevents you from using your psi-powers...

But since intangibility ISN'T, you could still use it while masking yourself :)

Mack wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:I haven't found anything that says mutant powers *can't* be detected by the psi-stalker's ability to sense the supernatural.

The opposite is also true: There's nothing that states mutant powers *can* be detected either.

The only thing that comes to mind is if they were actively using "See Aura". Would that work through walls? Or let you see the aura of someone using Psionic Invisibility?
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Mack wrote:

Exactly. A good guideline to follow is that powers grant what they say they grant, not what they don't say that they grant.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Rifts®”