casting spells as a full conversion borg

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sohisohi
Explorer

casting spells as a full conversion borg

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Apparently it can be done, if you use the Rifts Priest OCC found in conversion book 2. Since you're just praying to your god, the only thing you actually decide is the spells direction. The god in question takes the full PPE cost and casts the spell for you. This OCC effectually allows you to cast magic when you normally couldn't do to class/race restrictions.

Here is an example build: Lets say you want to pick a god that only gives you a limited number of spells (nothing passed 4th or 10th level; as opposed to a god that literally knows ever spell), well then you can start as the Magebane OCC for your first 3-5 levels. Normally you couldn't cast spells once you become a Magebane, but now you can if you mult into a Rifts Priest. You'd have fairly decent anti-magic ability + you can cast spells for free at-will.

I'm actually surprised more people don't play this class, it's fairly top-tier like the TW- but it does have a few restrictions. You can't learn new spells and what you can use is dictated by your god's own spell knowledge. This class doesn't actually give you any PPE, and depending on your race, you'll never be able to personally learn spells or even use TW items. That and normally doing something against your alignment doesn't really have many consequences, obviously that changes when a god watches your every move.

I also had another question, could a full conversion TW-cyborg actually use magic? I remember one of the books mentioning that mages don't get cybernetics because it messes with their magic; but one of the books talk about TW-Cybernetics, which apparently don't effect a mages. If you, as a mage, replaced every single part of your body with TW-cybernetics... Could you still cast known spells? Furthermore, could you use spells from the TW devices which are a part of your own body? (no living flesh, you're effectively a TW-golem)
kaid
Knight

Re: casting spells as a full conversion borg

Unread post by kaid »

Well the south american 1 anti monsters basically are a TW cyborg that has some spell ability so in theory it is possible. But it's less like casting and more like using a preset TW weapon. Fill it with magic push the activation button and it happens.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

The OCC reminds me of the Brotherhood Red Priest, Thoros, on Game of Thrones. Looks interesting. Certainly getting my creative gears spinning.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Sohisohi wrote:I also had another question, could a full conversion TW-cyborg actually use magic? I remember one of the books mentioning that mages don't get cybernetics because it messes with their magic; but one of the books talk about TW-Cybernetics, which apparently don't effect a mages. If you, as a mage, replaced every single part of your body with TW-cybernetics... Could you still cast known spells? Furthermore, could you use spells from the TW devices which are a part of your own body? (no living flesh, you're effectively a TW-golem)

IIRC the Palladium makes a point of explaining that the TW components don't directly connect to the bionic/cybernetic systems... which should make them incapable of functioning at all... because apparently just being associated with bionics/cybernetics interfers with magic including TW magic...

Basically Palladium Magic is declared to be a science and yet is fully incompatible with conventional science and the tech born of it.

Which honestly to me boils down to religious belief. Magic is the science of (the) god(s). The science of humanity not only doesn't require belief to work it doesn't care about belief. Which to the religious seems to be a source of contention.*

*My personal experience.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Sohisohi wrote:I also had another question, could a full conversion TW-cyborg actually use magic? I remember one of the books mentioning that mages don't get cybernetics because it messes with their magic; but one of the books talk about TW-Cybernetics, which apparently don't effect a mages. If you, as a mage, replaced every single part of your body with TW-cybernetics... Could you still cast known spells? Furthermore, could you use spells from the TW devices which are a part of your own body? (no living flesh, you're effectively a TW-golem)

There are several TW Cyborg examples in the various books:
-Lord Frommalaine NPC (SB1, can't cast magic, but is in a TW Cyborg Body with magical properties)
-Anti-Monster OCC (WB6, a TW FCB with talisman like casting)
-Daemonix (SoT2 TW Bionic limbs that aid in casting built in spells. There are several stated out and probably qualify as Partial Borgs)
-Salkind NPC (SoT6 pg107, a Partial TW 'Borg, specifically noted that can cast w/o penalty. This is noted as the exception and not the rule due to the source)
-Denwyn Ironheart NPC (SoT6 pg103-5, Iron Golem with a transfered essence, the iron interferes with spell casting)
-SoT6 also has several additional examples of TW Bionic/Cybernetics Component/limbs in various NPCs IINM
-TW Bionics appear in WB20 and Bionic SB (so they are possible), though these are limited to weapons
-Mechanoids (included because they are FCB, but suffer no penalty for using Psionics. Not the same as magic, but Psionics suffer just like mages)

Likely options:
-transfer into a Golem body as you can still cast spells (just don't go with the Iron as it will interfere with casting)
-A "Suit" that effectively acts as a TW Cyborg Body (sort of like what is implied with the Iron Juggernauts and their pilot IMHO, and how the Mechanoids work with psionics)
-maybe use the Robot RCC options a TW power source and Transferred Intelligence might allow it
-a Partial Conversion Borg is also possible using the Daemonix/Tolkeen examples they produced (not Salkind), but a FCB might be out of the realms of possible.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sohisohi wrote:Apparently it can be done, if you use the Rifts Priest OCC found in conversion book 2. Since you're just praying to your god, the only thing you actually decide is the spells direction. The god in question takes the full PPE cost and casts the spell for you. This OCC effectually allows you to cast magic when you normally couldn't do to class/race restrictions.

Here is an example build: Lets say you want to pick a god that only gives you a limited number of spells (nothing passed 4th or 10th level; as opposed to a god that literally knows ever spell), well then you can start as the Magebane OCC for your first 3-5 levels. Normally you couldn't cast spells once you become a Magebane, but now you can if you mult into a Rifts Priest. You'd have fairly decent anti-magic ability + you can cast spells for free at-will.

I'm actually surprised more people don't play this class, it's fairly top-tier like the TW- but it does have a few restrictions. You can't learn new spells and what you can use is dictated by your god's own spell knowledge. This class doesn't actually give you any PPE, and depending on your race, you'll never be able to personally learn spells or even use TW items. That and normally doing something against your alignment doesn't really have many consequences, obviously that changes when a god watches your every move.

I also had another question, could a full conversion TW-cyborg actually use magic? I remember one of the books mentioning that mages don't get cybernetics because it messes with their magic; but one of the books talk about TW-Cybernetics, which apparently don't effect a mages. If you, as a mage, replaced every single part of your body with TW-cybernetics... Could you still cast known spells? Furthermore, could you use spells from the TW devices which are a part of your own body? (no living flesh, you're effectively a TW-golem)

Except you can't be a Borg and be a preist, sinse getting 2 or more bionic implants automatically changes your OCC to partial conversion Borg, and changing OCC away from preist class strips you of your powers. Likewise you can't Multiclass out of borg. The way the Rules are written, Being a borg prevents you from ever taking a level as anything else ever again.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Sohisohi wrote:Apparently it can be done, if you use the Rifts Priest OCC found in conversion book 2. Since you're just praying to your god, the only thing you actually decide is the spells direction. The god in question takes the full PPE cost and casts the spell for you. This OCC effectually allows you to cast magic when you normally couldn't do to class/race restrictions.

Except you can't be a Borg and be a preist, sinse getting 2 or more bionic implants automatically changes your OCC to partial conversion Borg, and changing OCC away from preist class strips you of your powers. Likewise you can't Multiclass out of borg. The way the Rules are written, Being a borg prevents you from ever taking a level as anything else ever again.

So I double checked, 2 bionics or 12 cybernetics changes your OCC. That being said, I could not find a rule that states Borg's (full/partial) or cybernetic-humanoids can't take another class.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Sohisohi wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

So I double checked, 2 bionics or 12 cybernetics changes your OCC. That being said, I could not find a rule that states Borg's (full/partial) or cybernetic-humanoids can't take another class.

Just be an AbM Runner. They're allowed to be Ley Line Walkers.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

You don't even need to have a priest OCC to have gods cast spells through you, Deific Perceptions from Dragons and Gods pretty much always allows that... or maybe that's just for Deific Powers? Either way...

Return to “Rifts®”