Rifts electromancer ideas

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Knight_General
Wanderer

Rifts electromancer ideas

Unread post by Knight_General »

i am trying to find a way to incorporate electricity into a swordswoman and i need ideas. i am really new to this system so giving me a name of ability/item, source book, and page number are a necessity. but here is the break of what i want the closer we get to it the better.

OCC/RCC = ?
really good with a variety of swords preferably one-handed ones = W.P. swords but how do i improve that?
has an electric force field or shield like ability = ?
can cast an electric like projectile = ?
teleporting short distances (like up to 60 feet) = no heroes unlimited or related books
any kind of teleporting objects to me = ?
telekinesis of some sort = ?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Rifts electromancer ideas

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Zapper is closest to what you are thinking of, in terms of having an electricity aura that could energize weapon damage and electric zaps and has an electric force sheild and has telekesis powers.

The only issue is the teleporting objects to you and teleporting short distances. Palladium treats all forms of teleportation as very powerful and often not very reliable, so you'd have to write up these yourself.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Here's a list of electricity-type stuff in Palladium. It excludes sensing/manipulating/disabling machines. I know there are things I've forgotten, so reminders produce updates, fellow champions.
Spoiler:
*=PFRPG 12, Library of Bletherad
**=PFRPG Mysteries of Magic Book 1
***=Powers Unlimited 1
****=Powers Unlimited 3

Psionics
Electrokinesis (super)
Zapper O.C.C.

Magic (level/name/P.P.E. cost)
Air Warlock spells
2 Electric Arc 4
3 Call Lightning 10, Lightning Fist 12**, Lightning Strike 12**
4 Ball Lightning 15, Handful of Lightning 30**, Lightning Arc 15, Protection from Lightning 20
6 Electrical Field 35, Electro-Magnetism 40
7 Lightning Ride 35**

Invocation spells
1 Spark 1*
2 Static Charge 5*
3 Electric Arc 8*, Lightning Bolt 10*, Thunderbolt 12*
4 Electric Arc 8
5 Electrify 25*, Lightning Fist 12**, Ride the Lightning 35*
6 Call Lightning 15, Impervious to Energy 20, Lightning Strike 18**
7 Keyhole Lightning 25*
8 Ball Lightning 30*, Chain Lightning 40*, Handful of Lightning 30**, LIghtning Arc 30, Protection from Lightning. 40*
9 Lightning Ride 50**, Spark of Life 60*
10 Fulmination 75*, Wall of Electrity 50*
12 Electrical Field 70*, Electro-Magnetism 80*, Sheet Lighting 150*

Ocean Magic
7 Impervious to Electricty 20

Tattoo Magic
Lightning Bolts 30, Chain Wrapped Around a Cloud 50, Red Lightning Bolt 40

Superpowers
Minor: Conduct Electricity***, EE: Electricity, EE: Electromagnetic Pulse***, EE: Electrical Field, Energy Resistance, Impervious to Energy&Electricity***, Line Transit****
Major: APS: Electricity, Control Static Electricity, Energy Absorption

Nightbane (all Morphus and Talent options are in Dark Designs)
Talent: Chain Lightning, Lightning Rider
Morphus: Superbeing: Energized
Two general notes: the skill Fencing can be taken to get an extra bit of damage with a sword. Getting more skilled than HtH:MA, Boxing, Fencing, and W.P. Sword (and maybe Paired/Knife) starts requiring jumping through hoops. Also, if the theme is expanded from electricity to "energy" things open up considerably.

The most straightforward option is a Zapper (found in Rifts World Book 12:Psyscape). It covers everything save the teleport stuff. Techowizardry items can somewhat compensate, but are expensive for psychics to operate. One way to offset that is to have the character come from or simply have tech from New Babylon, part of modern day Argentina, described in World Book 9: South America 2. In addition to psionically-oriented TW, the culture has an emphasis on swordfighting, and a decent Blast Sword.

The next easiest option is an Air Warlock. Most lightning spells were originally intended for them, and they get them early and for low cost/use. A way to beef up a standard Warlock is to make them a Space Warlock, found in Dimension Book 6: Three Galaxies. They get access to far more P.P.E., and a number of Space Magic spells. Whether that fits in a particular game is a separate issue.

Invocation casters like Wizards and Ley Line Walkers normally don't have much access to electrical/lightning magic. It's usually just a selection of warlock spells at a higher cost. The Palladium Fantasy book Library of Bletherad has a number of spells available, as shown above. Please note that in the setting very few wizards know this magic even exists, and would be dealing with a number of ticked off warlocks if caught casting it. If that sort of thing isn't a problem in your game, this is an easy way to incorporate some of the teleporting effects discussed in the first post.

While the first post stated Heroes Unlimited was out it's the lowest upkeep version of the character. Superpowers don't need P.P.E./I.S.P. to work. Probably the most over-the-top version of a character focusing on this theme would be a character that gets superpowers and magic. Most of those characters tend to only be able to cast low-level spells, so a given game table would have to either allow Warlock spells or use a Mega Hero option like a Powers Unlimited 2 Immortal to really make this more effective than additional powers. Similarly, a Nightbane Sorcerer with an electrical-themed Talent or two can have multiple ways to be shocking.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I forget the page number, but in PFRPG Western Empire, IIRC there is an Electrical Discharge enchantment for weapons that you might like.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Knight_General wrote:OCC/RCC = ?
really good with a variety of swords preferably one-handed ones = W.P. swords but how do i improve that?

Amaki Duelist RCC (WB9), bonuses for sword fighting
Cyber-Knight OCC (Main)
Japanese Samurai OCC (WB8, traditionalists)
Tirrvol Sword Fist RCC (WB30, WB11), have a natural WP sword ability (superior to regular WP)
Malvoren RCC (WB30), meld with sword for various bonuses
Kremin Cyborg RCC (WB30, WB11), they start with a high tech sword

WP Sword can be improved by taking Fencing for a slight bonus increase and damage bonus. There are a few Hand to Hand skills found in Japan that stack with WP Sword (Kendo and the Samurai-one).

Knight_General wrote:has an electric force field or shield like ability = ?

The Cyber Knight comes with Psi-Shield power or Amaki Duelist, all the others above would require a separate item.

Knight_General wrote:can cast an electric like projectile = ?

An Amaki Duelist with their Blast Sword might fit the bill, though the Kremin Cybrog would to.

Knight_General wrote:teleporting short distances (like up to 60 feet) = no heroes unlimited or related books
any kind of teleporting objects to me = ?

Teleporting is a pretty rare ability outside magic. None of the above fit that bill naturally. And even those I can think of with teleporting it is exclusively targeting to self. I don't think you can teleport objects to you in general (I know it can be done with specific circumstances).

Knight_General wrote:telekinesis of some sort = ?

This is probably the easiest to get. Play a OCC/race that can be a psychic and pick TK power (Cyber Knight, Samurai, Malvoren)

To get all this in one package is going to be difficult, you might have to sacrifice something and play a Mage type and spend skill slots for WP and Fencing (and the get GM approval for the HTH skill, likely Kendo). You'd also have to focus your spell selection.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

There is a Combat Magic spell called Shockblade. It is an 8th level spell.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Someone made a grifter/drifter containing "Rifts New O.O.C.s", it has a Zapper RCC x Cyber-Knight hybrid.
Knight_General
Wanderer

Unread post by Knight_General »

thank you all for the input i didn't think this was going to be easy but this concept is harder than i thought it would be and so i am choosing to not go that route. now i am thinking of some sort of energy based character.

i cannot use HU, south america 1&2, and china.

the idea is like a sword and shield type character with a projectile weapon and so far cyber knight seems to be the way to go for that. what would be some good things to add to the cyber knight that would increase strike and damage?

Return to “Rifts®”