Temporal Warrior & Advanced Training from Heroes of Humanity

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Temporal Warrior & Advanced Training from Heroes of Humanity

Unread post by tsh77769 »

Given that Temporal Warriors seem to be warriors first and mages second, would they be eligible for Advanced Training? More specifically the martial master and the advanced marksman training?

Opinions?

tsh77769
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Temporal Warrior & Advanced Training from Heroes of Huma

Unread post by eliakon »

tsh77769 wrote:Given that Temporal Warriors seem to be warriors first and mages second, would they be eligible for Advanced Training? More specifically the martial master and the advanced marksman training?

Opinions?

tsh77769

Assuming you could find a military program that would provide you the training and that you meet all the requirements and that you have the time?
I can't see why not.
As a GM I would probably limit them to one AT (basically I would state that they already have the AT: Combat Mage)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Checking the actual wording of the text, the conditions isn't that it's for "Warriors", it's for "Men at Arms" OCC's. as temporal warriors are classified as Magic useing OCC's, they would not qualify.

If you feel this blanket ban on all non Men of Arms is too restrictive, the GM can always waive it in certain cases.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Checking the actual wording of the text, the conditions isn't that it's for "Warriors", it's for "Men at Arms" OCC's. as temporal warriors are classified as Magic useing OCC's, they would not qualify.

If you feel this blanket ban on all non Men of Arms is too restrictive, the GM can always waive it in certain cases.

I misread that myself.
My bad there.
In that case... no AT for Temporal Warriors.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Agreed.

I do find it a bit restrictive though. Some of the Intelligence focused ones at least should be open to Scholars and Adventuers, I think. I can understand banning them from magic using and psionic classes for balance reasons, but I don't see a reason a Wilderness Scout couldn't get Survival Advanced Training, or other OCC's that are likely to take military contractor jobs with Militaries as specalists and auxilliaries.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Agreed.

I do find it a bit restrictive though. Some of the Intelligence focused ones at least should be open to Scholars and Adventuers, I think. I can understand banning them from magic using and psionic classes for balance reasons, but I don't see a reason a Wilderness Scout couldn't get Survival Advanced Training, or other OCC's that are likely to take military contractor jobs with Militaries as specalists and auxilliaries.

That seems reasonable to me. I think so long as something fits thematically, there's generally a case to be made for allowing it, or at least considering it, even if it's not in the rules.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

... is there anywhere other than RUE/RMB where it says what OCCs are what? AFAIK, it's a destinction that exists solely in the core book. There is certainly no part of the Temporal Warrior class that says "this is a Man of Magic class".

Mind, I'm not arguing that it should be a man at arm's or anything .. merely pointing out that OCCs not classified in the core book have never included their "classification" info.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Rifts GMG has a chart that lists all OCC's by catagory that have been printed up to when Rifts GMG was made

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Rifts GMG has a chart that lists all OCC's by catagory that have been printed up to when Rifts GMG was made

Hmm, never noticed that. Ive never done a page 1-end read throuh of the GMG though.

Good to know, though. Really should just be part of each OCCs stat block. Like:

Temporal Warrior
A Man of Magic
(Proceed with rest of OCC writeup)

I mean, you could usually figure it out if you out your mind to it, but that really should have been info provided all along, instead of waiting for the GMG.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Welcome to Palladium?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.

Return to “Rifts®”